What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skillfull Wingers

Grantwhy

Juniors
Thunderstruck said:
Matt Bowen last weekend certainly had an exciting game setting up that try for hannay.

Bowen played 5/8 while he was growing up - the Cowboys needed a fullback a couple of seasons ago and he's played there most of his first grade games.

Bench
Twizzle said:
As far back as I can remmeber, our best wingers have been great finishers, but no one really stands out, who has the hand/feet skills, to be able to set up a try.

There is one though, who used to chip in at 5/8 and with skillfull hands or a deft kick, he could set a a try for the other winger.

Unfortunaltely, he never played Rugby League.

David Campese was a player who had thse qualities, and I dont think any rugby league winger has ever had the skills, that Camo had.

Opinions
David Campese might not be an oxy,but he is a dead set moron who by the way didn't have the foggiest idea how to tackle.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Billy Slater has good hands and feet and can play on the wing. He isn't the complete player (IMO) in defence, but his attacking skills as silky smooth.

The thing is though, no player who has exceptional kick and chase or ability to draw defenders is going to be only on the wing. As soon as injuries occur they are the first ones a coach is going to move to fill another gap in the backline.

fat_mike

Juniors
A english winger in the 1980's/ 1990's played for widnes called Martin Offiah!!!!

Absolute class he was

lol, had to laugh at this one. "chariots" was quick and that was about it. couldnt tackle to save his life and only ever got near the ball when the line was wide open. i have never ever rated offiah and as far as wingers goes offiah is a pretty good try scorer but it was in the english comp. he's quick but thats all he's got

cat of the highest order.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
salivor said:
Isn't skillfull winger an oxymoron?
:lol:
Yes along with

Smart Winger
Hard Working Winger

__

Campese tackled like a winger

Wingers are just fast players who are not smart enough, hard working enough or skillful enough to be a centre.

Farggg me where talking backs, pussies.

monaroCountry

Juniors
Unfortunaltely, he never played Rugby League.

David Campese was a player who had thse qualities, and I dont think any rugby league winger has ever had the skills, that Camo had.

Opinions
You make me laugh mate.....hahhahahahhahahahhahh.
Campo was and still is an idiot. The only reason people regard him as great was because he played in yawnion. Its always been the case that RL wingers are better than RU wingers. In saying that, wingers are near the bottom of the barrel in league in terms of skill level.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Skillfull to me implies the ability to act as a playmaker for their team.

Coachs don't put playmakers on the wing.

Fullback, Halfback, 5/8 and sometimes at Hooker but not on the wings.

Teams need as many playmakers as they can get and just won't get value from having one on the end of plays.

If you have a Winger coming into dummy half or at first or second reciever then (usually) your attacking potential on that player's side of the field just dropped dramatically.

ummm ......

saying it another way:

There probably are skillfull Wingers playing in the NRL - playing at Fullback, at Halfback and at 5/8 :).

Taiwan RL fan

Juniors
Michael O'Connor, ET, Offiah (if you don't rate Offiah, you never saw him play), Jason Robinson, John Ferguson, Lote Tuquiri.

Taiwan RL fan said:
Michael O'Connor, ET, Offiah (if you don't rate Offiah, you never saw him play), Jason Robinson, John Ferguson, Lote Tuquiri.

Martin Offiah scored 2 tries agianst the 1989 World Club game vs Canberra

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Taiwan RL fan said:

O'Connor - an out and out centre who occisionally played wing at rep level.
ET - see O'Connor
Offiah - fast and a great finisher, skillful - pppffffttttt. Shite tackler, crap kicker, and could read play as well as my 12 year old daughter - a true winger
Robinson - reasonably skillful, not a centre cause he is too small. Not smart but an instinctive player.
Ferguson - great step, extremely elusive, pretty quick. Not smart but an instinctive player.
Tuquiri - I hardly call a strong runner and tackler skillful - great player - due to power and pace not skill.

In short all great players, but not what I term skillful.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Mr Angry said:
Campese tackled like a winger
Anyone remember Campo crapping his daks and going missing when he had to mark up against Vai'ga Tuigamala? (aka the big black bus)
Just a pity he didn't get the opportunity to be REALLY humiliated by having Lomu run over the top of him a few times.

Latest posts