What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skinflint Management

skeepe

Immortal
Show me the Money
By James Hooper

A Canberra Raiders sponsor has dipped into his own pocket to the tune of $3500 after Raiders powerbrokers failed to invite the partners of players to the club's annual awards dinner in October.

Raiders management mailed out invitations last week, with players dumbfounded to discover only one ticket in each envelope. Certain it was an oversight, Canberra players quizzed the Raiders hierarchy only to be told wives and partners would have to pay $100 a ticket to attend.

Sanity prevailed when the chief executive of Raiders sponsor Canberra Milk, Gary Sykes, tipped in $3500 out of his own pocket.

Canberra management then mailed out another letter outlining how the club felt it had done enough for wives and partners throughout the season and should not have to cover their annual dinner costs.

The Daily Telegraph

----------------------------------

Seems a bit strange and very unprofessional to me.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Wow.............

The Canberra players are a patient lot.

I would have boycotted the dinner on principal.

Go Gary................

aussies1st

Staff member
What greedy management we have. Now if only they could be the same when retaining players.

hrundi99

First Grade
I don't think they're greedy, I just think they're genuinely short on funds.

That's not to say it isn't a dumb screw up though.

hrundi99 said:
I don't think they're greedy, I just think they're genuinely short on funds.

That's not to say it isn't a dumb screw up though.

I have absolutely no idea about the inner-dealings of this club, you probably know more than me, but aren't we financed by like 6 or 8 leagues clubs? How in the hell can we be short on funds?

Raider_69

Post Whore
ATTN - RONALD FURNER:

Your resignation is required at the front desk as soon as possible, you useless merkin! I repeat, you useless merkin. Its one f**king debarcle after another with you and your pack of merry men. This club will continue to flounder whilst others go from strength to strength whilst you are in control. Piss off and dont come back. If i never see you again in and around our club it will be too soon. You are easily the most inept, useless merkin in the history of management... yes you have taken over Robert Finch's illustrious crown... congratulations and many rest wishes, you f**king joke. Retire and do us all a favour!

Love Raider_69

raider_ktj

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
ATTN - RONALD FURNER:

Your resignation is required at the front desk as soon as possible, you useless merkin! I repeat, you useless merkin. Its one f**king debarcle after another with you and your pack of merry men. This club will continue to flounder whilst others go from strength to strength whilst you are in control. Piss off and dont come back.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

raider_ktj

Juniors
Copa said:
This is a bad sign.

Is the club nearly broke??
I never thought of it like that, geez I hope theyre just being selfish or something and that the problem isnt deeper

hrundi99

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
I have absolutely no idea about the inner-dealings of this club, you probably know more than me, but aren't we financed by like 6 or 8 leagues clubs? How in the hell can we be short on funds?

Are the leagues clubs making money?

How does the funding to the football club work? Is it a grant or is the football club a "division" of the overall company?

I don't know. I'd be curious to find out.

Raider_69

Post Whore
all i know is that we have several reasonably wealthy leagues clubs attached to us, so if we are struggling finacially something is a miss

Raider_69 said:
all i know is that we have several reasonably wealthy leagues clubs attached to us, so if we are struggling finacially something is a miss

This is a disgrace, The raiders would be in the top half of the 15 clubs in terms of wealth. This is just management being greedy. What a f**king joke. It just goes from one thing to another with these incompetant idiots. Can't hold on to a decent player, pay rediculous amounts of money to players who are nuffies and injury prone, sign unproven players into 4 year deals on big $. And now this. I'm gonna put in an application for CEO of the raiders.

hrundi99

First Grade
waltzing Meninga said:
This is a disgrace, The raiders would be in the top half of the 15 clubs in terms of wealth. This is just management being greedy. What a f**king joke. It just goes from one thing to another with these incompetant idiots. Can't hold on to a decent player, pay rediculous amounts of money to players who are nuffies and injury prone, sign unproven players into 4 year deals on big $. And now this. I'm gonna put in an application for CEO of the raiders.

Where is the evidence that they are wealthy?

I'm certain that the Raiders sponsorship revenue is lower than Sydney clubs and Brisbane.

Again, the club funding issue is the crux of the matter, but it's safe to assume that that information is confidential.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Make of this what you will, this was written when News Ltd sold their share:

Roy Masters
625 words
22 April 2002
Sydney Morning Herald
English
Copyright of John Fairfax Group Pty Ltd

"CDRL, which has invested no money in the Raiders since 1995, despite OWNING four licensed clubs, opted to take 100 per cent equity. It is understood News Ltd will receive nothing in return. "

Sounds as though we are a division of the CDRL, which now owns 8 clubs?

Raider_69

Post Whore
im not suggesting the management are wealthy or doing anything untoward but perhaps they arnt getting the best from our leagues clubs... and clearly they are dunces with the dollars