What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SL 2022 Season

TDD91

Juniors
Glad I've managed to get some money on Jai Field for Man of Steel at 25/1. Odds are going to absolutely plummet now.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Toulouse oh so close and Dragons showed their title aspirations with a strong win despite missing some star players. St's march on with an easy win on the road and HFC lose to lowly Cas, looking like a long season for them and maybe SL first coaching casualty in West Hull?

table1.jpg

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Leeds being relegated would be an absolute disaster for British RL. If they went the way of Bradford, or even just become a yo-yo club, it'd probably end up being one of the final nails in the coffin.

I doubt it'll happen with Toulouse in the comp though, but Toulouse failing would be bad for RL more broadly, particularly in France.

If the RFL were smart they'd make sure that both survive...

TDD91

Juniors
I wouldn't rule Castleford out of the relegation battle at this stage. They've been utterly woeful at times as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Leeds being relegated would be an absolute disaster for British RL. If they went the way of Bradford, or even just become a yo-yo club, it'd probably end up being one of the final nails in the coffin.

I doubt it'll happen with Toulouse in the comp though, but Toulouse failing would be bad for RL more broadly, particularly in France.

If the RFL were smart they'd make sure that both survive...
Leeds have a much better squad than Toulouse. They'll be safe.

RedVee_8

Juniors
I expect to be shouted down but I think they should look to only have promotion & relegation every 3 or 5 years. Give the teams a chance to settle and really see what they can do.
I understand that P & R is a big part of UK sport but… Super League isn’t EPL.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I expect to be shouted down but I think they should look to only have promotion & relegation every 3 or 5 years. Give the teams a chance to settle and really see what they can do.
I understand that P & R is a big part of UK sport but… Super League isn’t EPL.
Considering RL's position in the UK, and Europe more broadly, I wouldn't have pro & reg at all. Or at least not for the foreseeable future.

The nature of pro & reg makes it very difficult to attract serious investors for new clubs, something that the SL desperately needs, and not being able to grantee sides in the SL in major markets, London being the best example, has crippled the sport's growth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s a hard one. Supporting a club who was relegated just before they pulled the draw bridge up no promotion sucked and nearly drove my club into oblivion. then p&r was reintroduced and we were able to get back up and generally have done a reasonable job in contributing to SL. But most clubs going up soon go back down so you have to question what’s the point? Reality is many clubs that come up are not big enough t9 be SL clubs, london s an example. It sounds good on paper but I reality they don’t have the finances or fanbase to be a SL club at the moment It is incredibly hard to build a squad to survive though in the few months before season ko as Toulouse are now finding. No easy answer.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It’s a hard one. Supporting a club who was relegated just before they pulled the draw bridge up no promotion sucked and nearly drove my club into oblivion. then p&r was reintroduced and we were able to get back up and generally have done a reasonable job in contributing to SL. But most clubs going up soon go back down so you have to question what’s the point? Reality is many clubs that come up are not big enough t9 be SL clubs, london s an example. It sounds good on paper but I reality they don’t have the finances or fanbase to be a SL club at the moment It is incredibly hard to build a squad to survive though in the few months before season ko as Toulouse are now finding. No easy answer.
And they never will be because what reasonable investor is going to spend the tens of millions of pounds necessary just to get a London side to a point where they might be competitive at the level of SL when in a year or twos time it could be for nothing and they are back at square one, especially when considering the RFL and SL's history of treating expansion clubs like a nuisance that they will tolerate for the publicity, but only so long as they don't impact on the traditional clubs competitiveness.

The RFL isn't in the same position as the EPL, owning one of their clubs isn't a status symbol for the uber rich and it probably never will be, so copying them and expecting the same results is just stupid.
It reminds a lot of the loud group of soccer fans here in Australia whom seem to believe that if the A-league could just copy the European pyramid system that it'll be as successful as the European leagues, which is, and always has been, absolute nonsense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And they never will be because what reasonable investor is going to spend the tens of millions of pounds necessary just to get a London side to a point where they might be competitive at the level of SL when in a year or twos time it could be for nothing and they are back at square one, especially when considering the RFL and SL's history of treating expansion clubs like a nuisance that they will tolerate for the publicity, but only so long as they don't impact on the traditional clubs competitiveness.

The RFL isn't in the same position as the EPL, owning one of their clubs isn't a status symbol for the uber rich and it probably never will be, so copying them and expecting the same results is just stupid.
It reminds a lot of the loud group of soccer fans here in Australia whom seem to believe that if the A-league could just copy the European pyramid system that it'll be as successful as the European leagues, which is, and always has been, absolute nonsense.
English rl has flipped between p&r and closed shop it’s entire existence, it isn’t copying anyone. the flip side of that argument is that with p&r any investor could buy any club in the second division and take them into SL where as without it they couldn’t and it would be like nrl waiting decades for the opportunity to expand. If big investors wanted to take london to SL there is a clear and fair route to get there.

Biggest issue is the gap between the divisions meaning it’s very hard to build a competitive squad to stay up. Having said that a club like Toulouse recruited very poorly, don’t know if they thought they were better than they are Or they just don’t have the funds to recruit good players.

RedVee_8

Juniors
I guess as well it would be cheaper to buy in while a club is down a level or two. Even that is a double edged sword in that the buyer may not actually have enough funds to run a decent SL campaign in the long term.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess as well it would be cheaper to buy in while a club is down a level or two. Even that is a double edged sword in that the buyer may not actually have enough funds to run a decent SL campaign in the long term.
I think that’s been Londons, Leigh and looking like Toulouse‘s problem. Costs a lot of money to fund a SL club In that first year as there isnt the sponsors or crowds to generate the revenue needed to go out and sign a squad capable of staying up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Challenge cup semi finals will see

HulL KR v Huddersfield
Wigan v St Helens

ensures a Yorkshire v Lancashire final!

Latest posts