What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SLAYERS HOLD OFF WARRIORS TO REMAIN UNDEFEATED - week 4 match report

Choo Choo

Juniors
On a beautiful Saturday afternoon at 3:00pm in front of another crowd exceeding 100, the Slayers took the field for their second home match at Duke Ellington Field against the New Haven Warriors.

In a match holding major playoff implications for both sides, the Slayers and Warriors geared up for an exciting match. On the line was the Slayers continuing their undefeated season and for the Warriors, a second loss of the season.

For the fourth week in a row, the Slayers fielded the league maximum 23 man roster. From the kickoff, the Slayers controlled the match with aggressive defense and completing sets but were not able to find the try line early on. The forwards continued their usual assault up the middle; however, ball security was an issue. The Warriors mounted attacks but were also held off from the try zone. Late in the first period, Wing John Young intercepted a pass from a Warriors Center and ran the ball back 80 yards for the Slayers first try of the match, Five-Eighth Aaron Cook converted. Slayers led 6-0.

The second half was much like the first with both sides getting close but being denied. Halfway through the period, Aaron Cook found an opening and went over the line and converted. Slayers led 12-0. Not long afterwards, Prop Jaron McLaurin pounded up the middle and found the try zone. Aaron Cook missed his first conversion of the season. Slayers led 16-0. Near the half, Fullback Troy Smith, making his return to the Slayers after a week one knee injury, tore through the back line and with an offload from Aaron Cook went untouched into the zone, Aaron Cook converted. At the half, Slayers led 22-0.

During the third period, both sides regrouped and the Warriors were attacking deep in the Slayers field. In a back and forth scene filled with Slayers penalties and Warriors knock-ons the Slayers defense held the line and kept the Warriors from scoring. After recouping from the Warrior onslaught, the Slayers were again driving up the pitch. Lock Mao Lamoli continued his dominating runs and fought his way into the try zone with two Warriors on his back, Aaron Cook converted. Slayers led 28-0.

The first half of the fourth period was another back and forth with both sides pushing at the line but being turned away empty. With 10 minutes left in the match, Aaron Cook was sin binned. Having the one man advantage, the Warriors mounted their attack and put in a try but missed the conversion. Slayers led 28-4. Quickly, the Warriors put in two more tries and converted both. Slayers led 28-16. Late in the period, the Warriors were driving again, but the Slayers were able to re-center their defense and held the Warriors to the final whistle. Slayers win 28-16.

Slayers forwards were on fire again this week with punishing runs and tremendous hits in defense. The backline is emerging into a fine tuned machine as they run routes seamlessly and find openings to exploit. After the match, Coach Hanson said, “We had another great outing this week. The lads played a tremendous match and held off a strong effort by New Haven. Unfortunately we lost Aaron at the end of the match on a questionable call. Our defense let a few slip by at the close of the match, but in the end, they held strong and made us proud.”

The selection committee had their hands full this week selecting the Man of the Match. Any player that walked on the field this week definitely had his name in the hat. In the end though, Mao Lamoli was selected for his play on both sides of the ball. “Mao has been amazing each week. He’s been in contention for the past three weeks but his play today put him over the top”, said Co-Captain John Young.

Next up for the Slayers, on 9 July, another week of number 1 versus number 2 undefeated teams as the Philadelphia Fight fresh off their upset of the Jacksonville Axemen travel to Duke Ellington Field. Kickoff is scheduled for 2:00pm

Slayers Tries
John Young 1
Aaron Cook 1
Jaron McLaurin 1
Troy Smith 1
Mao Lamoli 1

Slayers Conversion
Aaron Cook 4 for 5

Slayers player season point totals available at www.dc-slayers.com

Follow the Slayers on Facebook/Washington DC Slayers, and Twitter/DCSLAYERS.

This week’s match will be available later this week on YouTube at: www.youtube.com/user/dcslayers13.

Cheby

Juniors
Whoa, I'm that center that is accused of throwing the errant pass that was intercepted and remember it distinctly differently. It was a skip pass from the second row that was knocked on by our winger. Slayers winger picked it up and went the distance.

I was the center being rapidly left behind as he went down the sideline. :(

Choo Choo

Juniors
Whoa, I'm that center that is accused of throwing the errant pass that was intercepted and remember it distinctly differently. It was a skip pass from the second row that was knocked on by our winger. Slayers winger picked it up and went the distance.

I was the center being rapidly left behind as he went down the sideline. :(

Fair enough. I was going on what I got from the boys on the bench. Thanks for clarifying. I'll amend it on our website when I post this evening.