What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan vs Walsh

macca_saint

Juniors
As someone already alluded to, Sloan seems to lack the instinct (which Walsh has) to put his body on the line and do the important things with 100% intensity. These can be hard to train into someone, but we’ve seen what Flanno did with Barba so I still have faith.

maestro1

Bench
People forget very quickly how big the difference between Walsh's best and worst was at the Warriors. Lots of rocks and diamonds moments. A lot changed with better coaching and better players around him at the Broncos. Hopefully Sloan will follow a similar path in development.
The little time Walsh had under Billy Slater saw an immense amount of improvement in Walsh's game. He was playing well prior to origin, but Billy mentoring Walsh during Origin did amazing things for his game.

Belta

Juniors
Stat's don't tell you everything, there are so many variables as to what how and when the stat happened, i wouldn't care if Sloan had better stats than Walsh, he isn't near Walsh as a player, its like the old Dufty v Ponga debate, chalk and cheese, until Sloan learns to defend and put his body on the line, he is no better than Dufty.
Prove me wrong Sloan...

The first thought that went through my head when watching Walsh make that tackle, was atleast he put himself in front with no thought of self preservation.
This is what you want, and I thought of our prior fullback, Dufty and remembered his down fall was just that. To me Dufty was our only attacking threat but as far as I can remember hesitant or missing when it came to putting his body on the line. Dufty, (like Walsh) had great speed, instincts and the ability to trail players to back up and the awareness to see opportunities and the skill to capitalise ie to deliver the right passes.

We went off Dufty and Field (and recently released another junior in Gromek) mostly because they weren’t big enough. So I think the club see a bigger body in Sloan. I guess we do get more size with Sloan.

To me I don’t think Sloan isnt far off. He will get stronger, he can definitely be an attacking weapon and if we can get a run of wins, I believe his confidence will grow. I can see he is one of those players who rely heavily on confidence. I agree with those who support him getting more time, with hopefully a few wins in a row. I Hopefully it will unlock his full potential 🤞

TheRev

First Grade
My cup watching friends had big wraps on Gromek, more of a defensively minded player.. I dont know why he left.. I suspect its because we had Sloan & Stewart in front (Stewart is the forgotten man.. he was the fullback prodigy not Sloan)..

Now you could argue Gromek has gone to a club with even more players in front of him.. but a chance to develop in a premier club, premier coach.. Teddy would retire in a few years.. not a bad option.. it would have been Hook in charge of our club at the time.. probably never even had a conversation with him.

The actual guys im more pissed about is a Schiller and Bostok.. they could have been future fullbacks for us.. and if not fullback certainly gun centres or wingers. I dont think we wanted to lose either of those ones.. it was a very dark time under Hook and his continual extensions.

Belta

Juniors
I wish them all the best, Bostock is certainly under good tutelage, but like Gromek has a lot of quality players to compete against to grab a first grade jumper.

coastiedragon

Juniors
Sloany done his job,what all good fullbacks do right position and supporting the big boys on the edge sit in the pockets of sua,rmf,luc,suli he will get 3 every week.great game can't wait till Sunday up the saints

maestro1

Bench
I was over the moon with his support play that led to his 3 tries, but I was even happier with the tries he stopped. He performed as good as any fullback in this department. Hence the near perfect defence and us only allowing a try from a kick.

Obviously, his improved performances have been against the lesser teams. Hopefully his game improves again and the teams committment to defence continues so we are a formidable defensive team against the stronger opposition as well.

Victoire

Juniors
Wow weee
Good start Sloany
The best game of his career. Especially in defence. There's been a definite change there - a revolution almost - both in terms of technique, attitude, and tactically. In the red zone he was exclusively defending in the line (a la Darius Boyd) to give us an extra man and doing a great job of it, pulling off one or two solo try saving tackles. And in the post-match chat he immediately credited Dean Young for this improvement. Was a great start for him in an area he has struggled in. Just the one dropped bomb which was the only blemish but he was under pressure quite a lot and handled it well.

And in attack, he was magnificent. Perfect fullback play. The set play for his third try was, as the commentator described, gorgeous rugby league... his support of RFM for the first try was exactly what we want to see around our big offloading backrowers, instinctive and well-timed. But my favourite was the second try, in support of Jacob Liddle. No-one else in our team scores that, except Sloan, and that's where he needs to be. So many occasions last year we'd make a break like that and there'd be no speed in support. On this occasion when Liddle broke through, Tyrell was hovering behind the ruck, just in case, and he exploded into full throttle pace to get into a supporting position. Jacob Liddle did a fantastic job to hold off on his draw-and-pass til the right time but Sloany burned the turf to get there. After that no-one was catching him. It was, dare I say Auntie Gerald, reminiscent of a certain Reece Walsh ;)

TheRev

First Grade
I mentioned this last week, but Sloan doesn't seem to break through tackles and/or defensive lines like almost all of the best fullbacks do.. he likes to run fast into space.... but he is literally playing in a side full of blokes who are big and powerful and will break those tackles for him.... if Sloan is fit enough to support them for 80 minutes.. he will have an almost open passage to the tryline... just like he did on the weekend.. he just has to support Su'a, Leilua, Suli, RFM at an absolute minimum.. there are opportunities off the rest of the team too, but those guys are very very good odds of giving him an offload.

justadragon

Bench
The best game of his career. Especially in defence. There's been a definite change there - a revolution almost - both in terms of technique, attitude, and tactically. In the red zone he was exclusively defending in the line (a la Darius Boyd) to give us an extra man and doing a great job of it, pulling off one or two solo try saving tackles. And in the post-match chat he immediately credited Dean Young for this improvement. Was a great start for him in an area he has struggled in. Just the one dropped bomb which was the only blemish but he was under pressure quite a lot and handled it well.

And in attack, he was magnificent. Perfect fullback play. The set play for his third try was, as the commentator described, gorgeous rugby league... his support of RFM for the first try was exactly what we want to see around our big offloading backrowers, instinctive and well-timed. But my favourite was the second try, in support of Jacob Liddle. No-one else in our team scores that, except Sloan, and that's where he needs to be. So many occasions last year we'd make a break like that and there'd be no speed in support. On this occasion when Liddle broke through, Tyrell was hovering behind the ruck, just in case, and he exploded into full throttle pace to get into a supporting position. Jacob Liddle did a fantastic job to hold off on his draw-and-pass til the right time but Sloany burned the turf to get there. After that no-one was catching him. It was, dare I say Auntie Gerald, reminiscent of a certain Reece Walsh ;)
Yep good call, I think Liddle had BMM there as well, but Sloan was the obvious who had to be there and was. I also think Flanno has simplified everyone's job, you have a task, just do it well and the rest can take care of itself. I still give BMM some credit for at least trying to back Liddle up.

TheRev

First Grade
It would be nice to have another fast option in support also.. 1 either side of the field.. but there is no point adding speed at the expense of a defensive weakness on our edge.. Petaia (rugby boy) might solve that problem.. its obviously very difficult to get recruits before 2026.. so Flanno is sort of forced to look outside the usual avenues.. its why every early win we get is worth its weight in gold.. remove the stench and replace it with some optimism for player managers and incoming talent.

Carlton

Juniors
I mentioned this last week, but Sloan doesn't seem to break through tackles and/or defensive lines like almost all of the best fullbacks do.. he likes to run fast into space.... but he is literally playing in a side full of blokes who are big and powerful and will break those tackles for him.... if Sloan is fit enough to support them for 80 minutes.. he will have an almost open passage to the tryline... just like he did on the weekend.. he just has to support Su'a, Leilua, Suli, RFM at an absolute minimum.. there are opportunities off the rest of the team too, but those guys are very very good odds of giving him an offload.
Have a look back at Sloans play last year, he made most of his breaks pushing through the line from dummy half or first receiver. He didnt actually find as much open space as I would like. This year he is now finding the space and I hope he can continue to push through the forwards from in close.

Where I am still a bit disappointed is in the lack of penetration after fielding kicks but hopefully this will come.

Victoire

Juniors
Something that Nick Campton on the NRL Boom Rookies podcast (the best podcast btw) said about this yesterday... all of the Sloan tries on the weekend came from situations which can be replicated. That is, they weren't freakish individual efforts where he creates something from nothing, which, while nice to have, can be an unreliable method of scoring points. But things like: supporting a big backrower punching through an edge, or following a fast dummy half exploiting space behind the ruck, or floating wide off Ben Hunt, are scenarios that we can produce every single game. It's a very good sign for us.

Latest posts