What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloan

Como Connection

First Grade
I agree.
There's nothing wrong with a young guy with speed and evasive skills playing on the wing. Some of the greatest players ever have nailed the wing position. Sloan is a talent for sure. Why the need for a baptism of fire? If Ramsey was a better fullback than Sloan, let's not forget that he made his 1st grade start on the wing. Max has also proven to be exceptionally reliable under the high ball on the wing - worth a try IMO. However, I still think Lomax would be a bloody good FB. He's a big bossy bugger, bit of aggro, can catch, some pace, doesn't mind a ball and all clash.
Matt.
CC

Rocket Rod

Juniors
With all this chatter about Sloan and all the others incl Bud Amone the twins and Zac and Couchman I am sure once Ryles ( I’m hoping) takes over these guys will blossom to their full potential with new structures and modern thinking that they are missing. Not this old same old crap that Hook dishes up to them.
The sooner this happens we will be smiling again like in 2010
It’s up to the board to make it happen before the cheats from south get under our guard!!

Old Timer

Coach
For a forum that’s so obsessed with being the first one to find the “next big thing” from the junior grades, we sure are quick to turn on them when they make first grade..

FFS. He’s a 20 year old who’s played about as many first grade games as he’s had birthday cakes.

Really wasn’t that long ago that he was considered “the future”
I understand that muzby however when people only highlight his attack and say that is enough to keep him in 1st grade then IMO that is how we end up with major problems.

I like everyone else want to see him succeed but unlike many others I can’t turn a blind eye to the obvious shortcomings that don’t seem to be improving and if not careful become totally ingrained.

The “oh but he is our only attacking weapon” argument leads us to exactly where we got with Dufty namely a long term investment with a negative return.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I understand that muzby however when people only highlight his attack and say that is enough to keep him in 1st grade then IMO that is how we end up with major problems.

I like everyone else want to see him succeed but unlike many others I can’t turn a blind eye to the obvious shortcomings that don’t seem to be improving and if not careful become totally ingrained.

The “oh but he is our only attacking weapon” argument leads us to exactly where we got with Dufty namely a long term investment with a negative return.
That’s the art of coaching to bring out the talents and flourish and thrive and improve
Unfortunately we have been unblessed with dud coaches since saint benny

Old Timer

Coach
So
That’s the art of coaching to bring out the talents and flourish and thrive and improve
Unfortunately we have been unblessed with dud coaches since saint benny
So let’s look at that scenario
Coach says: To catch a bomb you either stand under it and stay focussed on only the ball or you come from a distance run hard and leap to catch it.
Player says: Show me that
Coach says: Here is 100 YouTube’s of Billy Skater, 100 of Teddy, 100 of Gutho and whilst you watch it look to see how they shield themselves against the inevitable body contact

Coach says: You need to line up in defence with a mind to give yourself the best chance of making the tackle be that head on, cover defending them over the side line or sliding.
Player says: Can you show me that?
Coach says: Here are 100 YouTube’s of Bill Slater, 100 of Teddy, 100 of Gutho and by the way watch how they keep focussed on the attacking player and how they commit 100%
Player says: Great I can see all that and I have watched it and I’ll practice it to.
Game Day: Oops I forgot what I was supposed to do or oops this isn’t practice this is the real thing f**k that.

Mojo

Bench
So

So let’s look at that scenario
Coach says: To catch a bomb you either stand under it and stay focussed on only the ball or you come from a distance run hard and leap to catch it.
Player says: Show me that
Coach says: Here is 100 YouTube’s of Billy Skater, 100 of Teddy, 100 of Gutho and whilst you watch it look to see how they shield themselves against the inevitable body contact

Coach says: You need to line up in defence with a mind to give yourself the best chance of making the tackle be that head on, cover defending them over the side line or sliding.
Player says: Can you show me that?
Coach says: Here are 100 YouTube’s of Bill Slater, 100 of Teddy, 100 of Gutho and by the way watch how they keep focussed on the attacking player and how they commit 100%
Player says: Great I can see all that and I have watched it and I’ll practice it to.
Game Day: Oops I forgot what I was supposed to do or oops this isn’t practice this is the real thing f**k that.
Agree. It's incredible that some 1st graders lack some basic skills. You hear this sort of thing all the time: e.g.; 'he's been playing for ten years but he has a terrible passing game' etc. What??

However, two questions spring to mind:

1. does Hook have a Youtube video collection?, and
2. does he actually speak to players about such things?

By all reports he's not the best communicator, which I would have thought is the basic skill of a footy coach.

I've tried very hard to like the man, but Hook strikes me as being better suited to a profession as a tax investigator than a footy coach.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Agree. It's incredible that some 1st graders lack some basic skills. You hear this sort of thing all the time: e.g.; 'he's been playing for ten years but he has a terrible passing game' etc. What??

However, two questions spring to mind:

1. does Hook have a Youtube video collection?, and
2. does he actually speak to players about such things?

By all reports he's not the best communicator, which I would have thought is the basic skill of a footy coach.
This doesn’t relate to any of our players in particular but it doesn’t matter who you are are or what your learning; the learner (whatever skill they are learning) has to practice and practice and practice to embody and master the behaviour to make it automatic. Can’t just show someone the piano scales and expect them to play them!

I think alot of sports (cricket included) have forfeited this position and have excepted a lower level of skill level on the way up than what we used to see in fast tracking talent ; is it really the sole responsibility of any First Grade Coach or should it have been recognised and modified on by others in the development pathways on the way up..?

BLM01

First Grade
Sloan out injured but all over the media that he has been dropped. Talk about putting the boot in this poor kid and the club. I suppose they had to find some bad news story to write about the Saints, it's been a couple of days since the last one about Lomax which ended up being fake.
Sloan is out this week with a calf injury
Had ice on what I assumed was the injury post game
If that is our attempt for a smoke screen then do be it

SAP58

Juniors
Sloan is out this week with a calf injury
Had ice on what I assumed was the injury post game
If that is our attempt for a smoke screen then do be it
Would have been Buz or Hooper the wood ducks just make things up for a headline no credibility.

Illusion

Bench
For a forum that’s so obsessed with being the first one to find the “next big thing” from the junior grades, we sure are quick to turn on them when they make first grade..

FFS. He’s a 20 year old who’s played about as many first grade games as he’s had birthday cakes.

Really wasn’t that long ago that he was considered “the future”
Yep this , 20 years old and only played a hand full of games , the same as Sully , when you look at the senior players that have played a decade and are still making mistakes , and a number 7 that still cant close out a game and wants to leave ........ So I for one would rather the young blokes make mistakes and learn their way through , than keep losing with the the supposed super stars in our team ....... Either way we are losing if the young blokes are playing or not ....... So give them time ..........

Mojo

Bench
Yep this , 20 years old and only played a hand full of games , the same as Sully , when you look at the senior players that have played a decade and are still making mistakes , and a number 7 that still cant close out a game and wants to leave ........ So I for one would rather the young blokes make mistakes and learn their way through , than keep losing with the the supposed super stars in our team ....... Either way we are losing if the young blokes are playing or not ....... So give them time ..........
I want the young blokes to quickly become super stars and put one older nob-end in particular to shame. These young guys can set things alight behind a solid pack.

Latest posts