What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slothfield vs Gould

Rothfield's blog's are always a good source of humour.

They always start with him answering serious questions and then they end with him defending himself from being called a dribbler or a moron.

You have to laugh at this one though. The other day he was deriding Phil Gould for using the Melbourne Storm salary cap rort as a chance to boost his own profile and now Rothfield is trying to piggy back off Gould's profile to get himself some publicity. This guy is a joke.

NAS

Juniors
Gould is agenda driven, and bias towards those who he likes, to a fault I believe. He's also a Bill O'Reilly (the US fox news guy, not the australian sportsman) type of person where he's so pig headed and simple that he doesn't allow for other ideas to breathe. There is no way that his ideas regarding the Melbourne Storm salary cap scandal would work in an accounting sense, nor in a legal sense...Moreover the $4.3 million dollar salary cap caters for the top 25 players, so you can't simply say "here! choose $4.1 million dollars worth of players and cut the rest". It doesn't work like that at all.

Rothfield on the other hand is a sensationalist, a person who thrives on scandal, almost like a politician. He gets a story out of catching on to the smallest fact and then beats it up like it's the biggest controversy to occur.

Both are necessary evils unfortunately.

adamkungl

Immortal
Gould is an expert on the game, someone who frequently raises good points but has a habit of coming across like a complete merkin.

Rothfield is a dud, a gossip merchant who has never had a rugby league insight in his life, who always comes across like a complete merkin.

Springs

First Grade
Completely irrelevant

Uh no it is not, if you haven't noticed, this is a Rugby League forum, they talk about Rugby league issues, Melbourne Storm is a Rugby League team, the NRL is a Rugby Leagur competition. I think being a Rugby League person is completely relevant.

Patorick

Staff member
074426-phil-gould-phil-rothfield.jpg

smacky

Juniors
Gould is great when he sticks to talking about football. He has great knowledge of the game and his one on one interviews with players are always incitefull. But when it comes to the politics and management of the game he just goes nuts and half the things he says i dont think he thinks about completely and doesnt even bother to listen to other peoples thoughts on the matter.

Fui!!!

Juniors
The funny thing is, if David Gallop said that Melbourne could play for points if they lose $700K worth of players. 4 or 5 players would end up playing Rugby Union or in the ESL.

Gould would be blaming Gallop again.

Jose93

Juniors
Slothfield's an embarrassment. He's offering the same type of personal attack on Gould that Gould apparently did to Gallop. Except, Gould's important enough to have his agenda broadcast on TV. Unlike, Slothfield who's doing his by himself in front of a computer.

redandgreenduck

Juniors
Gould is one of the greatest things in this game. I'll be honest, I love his style and I agree with some of what he says, not all of it or anywhere near all of it.

He attacked News Limited long before this happened. Was he right in the end? Yes. Because News Limited own Melbourne Storm, own Fox Sports, who are at the centre of this as well with the Cameron Smith payments, and own 50% of the NRL. This is an impossible situation for the integrity of the game before anything with the Storm had happened.

He also attacks the state of refereeing in the game. Who disagrees with Gould again?

Gould remains a legend of the game. Two Premierships, an incredible Origin record, and I'll go as far as saying I reckon if we gave Gould a greater involvement in the game, it would be better for it.
Nice post Phil;-)

gronkathon

First Grade
Slothfield's an embarrassment. He's offering the same type of personal attack on Gould that Gould apparently did to Gallop. Except, Gould's important enough to have his agenda broadcast on TV. Unlike, Slothfield who's doing his by himself in front of a computer.

Hi Joey Johns.

It must be nice to know that you will be guranteed a warm winter snuggled so tight between puddin heads ample cheeks

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree Gus's comments were way over the top towards Gallop on the Footy Show.

But he makes more sense than Rothfield. Whats it to him to say he's bad for the game, have a look at his own dribbling stuff.

Bad for the game? I think the question should be Is Phil Rothfield bad for the game?

adamkungl

Immortal
Does ANYONE at all on LU have a shred of respect for Rothfield's opinions?
At least Gould has his supporters and his haters.

roboshark

Coach
Gould is one of the greatest things in this game. I'll be honest, I love his style and I agree with some of what he says, not all of it or anywhere near all of it.

He attacked News Limited long before this happened. Was he right in the end? Yes. Because News Limited own Melbourne Storm, own Fox Sports, who are at the centre of this as well with the Cameron Smith payments, and own 50% of the NRL. This is an impossible situation for the integrity of the game before anything with the Storm had happened.

He also attacks the state of refereeing in the game. Who disagrees with Gould again?

Gould remains a legend of the game. Two Premierships, an incredible Origin record, and I'll go as far as saying I reckon if we gave Gould a greater involvement in the game, it would be better for it.

How are you Phil

LazyDreamer

Bench
Does ANYONE at all on LU have a shred of respect for Rothfield's opinions?
At least Gould has his supporters and his haters.

Whether you like or loathe the Dragons, the complete hatchet-job Rothfield & his staff (and direction?) tried to do on them towards the end of last season demonstrated how far removed from being "journalists" or "reporters" the whole gaggle are.

They've no doubt done it to other teams, and from Daily Tellinglies articles posted on here (I refuse to buy the trash), they've even tried to claim responsibility for decisions within the NRL.

Seriously, the Tellmecrap can't be too far off printing headlines proclaiming, "Ernie Dingo ate my baby" or "I was anal-probed by aliens; got a reacharound while they were at it".

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
My favourite was "MyZone ticketing system creates delays" appearing in the paper a day before it came into being, then the article was just filled with predictions and scaremongering rather than fact... :lol:

Once Dead

Bench
The difference between Rothfield and Gould.

Rothfield feeds off the game and revels in all the bad things that happen to it because that's how he makes his cash.

Gould has a genuine love and passion for the game and wants it to prosper.