What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

slothfields Blog

eels4lyf

Anyone see it today?

He was bashing the dragons again, and normally he is all rubbish, but today he put up a list of where the eventual premiers were actually sitting with 3 rounds remaining dating back to 1989. Now i found this really interesting, as it showed that 1st has won 8 times at this stage of the comp. Compared with 2nd which has won 3 times, 3rd with 2 times, 4th with 4 times, 5th with 3 times, and 6th once.

He brings up a valid point. Collectively it is almost twice as likely that the winner will come from a team other than the team coming 1st at this stage of the year.

Thoughts?

Ohhh and the dragons and their supporters are starting to make me hate them just as much as manly . . . their arrogance, supporters and the darius boyd episode topped it off.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Darius Boyd interview didn't prove anything about St George's arrogance, it just proved that he is a total dickhead.

Suity

mickdo

Coach
He brings up a valid point. Collectively it is almost twice as likely that the winner will come from a team other than the team coming 1st at this stage of the year.

It's not a valid point. In fact it's a moronic point. 1st is by far more likely to win than any other position, as his stats show. Does he think they would have a better chance if they were running second?

oldmancraigy

Coach
It's not a valid point. In fact it's a moronic point. 1st is by far more likely to win than any other position, as his stats show. Does he think they would have a better chance if they were running second?

Correct.

Over the last 20 seasons the first placed team has won 40% of the time.

I can see why the Dragons supporters might be wishing they were running second (15%) or 3rd (10%) or 4th (20%) or 5th (15%) or even 6th (5%).

Yes - that's some top logic Rothfield....

Mind you - if they could figure out how to nail down spots 2nd through 6th (ie - take up 5 of the top 5 positions) then it'd give them a 60% chance at the premiership - which is slightly better odds than they're currently facing...

Bazal

Post Whore
I just love the hilarious furore over Boyd...he may be a knobend, but I've seen far worse interviews from players. Every one Matt Bowen or Chris Sandow has ever done in history springs to mind...Rothfield is just flogging another dead horse with both Boyd and the Dragons, surprise surprise

Eels Dude

Coach
He was bashing Ando earlier in the season, saying Parra signed the wrong coach and should have gone for Kearney instead. He still backs his reasons why, but is at least man enough to admit he's doing a great job at the moment.

WA Eel

Juniors
With regards to Darius Boyd, why should he treat the media with respect if he feels that the media hasn't shown him the same respect?

Eels Dude

Coach
With regards to Darius Boyd, why should he treat the media with respect if he feels that the media hasn't shown him the same respect?

Because it's his duty as a player. The media have never been unfair to Boyd. He has a duty to his club to promote them and the game in general, especially in a pre organised interview. It's not like the media just dragged him off the street and started asking him questions. It was a pre-organized press conference or interview done through the club, and he was specifically chosen because he'll be playing his former club this wknd. He was officially representing his club as part of his contract and his behaviour was unacceptable. If a Parramatta player did a similiar thing I'd be ashamed. Dragons CEO Peter Doust is furious at the way he handled the interview today.

Last edited:

salvy71

Juniors
Phil Rothfield has the intelligence of a turnip and the journalistic skills of bum fluff ......the only area that he excels at is writing a retraction for every story that he gets wrong ...which is just about every week .

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I just love the hilarious furore over Boyd...he may be a knobend, but I've seen far worse interviews from players. Every one Matt Bowen or Chris Sandow has ever done in history springs to mind...Rothfield is just flogging another dead horse with both Boyd and the Dragons, surprise surprise

I've seen worse interviews from Bennett

thedux

Juniors
Correct.

Over the last 20 seasons the first placed team has won 40% of the time.

I can see why the Dragons supporters might be wishing they were running second (15%) or 3rd (10%) or 4th (20%) or 5th (15%) or even 6th (5%).

Yes - that's some top logic Rothfield....

Well firstly I am certainly no fan of Phil Rothfield, I sincerely loathe the guy but his point does bare some food for thought depending on your perspective and whether you're a gambling man.
Given you can "lay" the Dragons on a betting exchange like Betfair then it would only require any other team to win for your bet to get up, so from that perspective it is a valid and interesting point. Would just depend on whether you were willing to risk the current 3.25 liability for a 2/1 with a historical chance of roughly 60% or if you'd rather take the 3.15 odds for whatever stake at around a chance of 40%!!!!
And I'm pretty certain this will be the only time I'll find any validity from this clown for a while...

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors
Here's a transcript of the interview for anyone that didn't see it.

The interview:
Q: Up against the Broncos, excited about facing your old mates?
A: Yeah, can't wait.
Q: That excited?
A: Yep.
Q: Did you watch them play last week?
A: No I didn't.
Q: What's the strategy going into the game?
A: We'll decide that on Wednesday I suppose.
Q: Happy to score another try, it was a good one?
A: Yeah, it was good, eh.
Q: Second one of the season, it's taken a while, you must be keen to be coming into form at the right time of the season.
A: No it was good.
Q: What are your thoughts on the way your team is going at the moment Darius?
A: Um, yeah, it was pretty good, eh.
Q: Are you fair dinkum?
A: Yeah.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25951182-5003409,00.html