What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH - Analysis of Parra game

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Seems reasonable to me:

Eels expose weakness in Raiders' script

Greg Prichard
July 3, 2006

SATURDAY ANALYSIS

CANBERRA play the percentages more than any other team in the NRL. Sometimes it works for them and sometimes it doesn't. Against an improved Parramatta at Canberra Stadium, it didn't.

The Raiders had the job of trying to reel in the Eels during the second half, when the Eels led 16-12 and then 18-12, but they weren't prepared to take many chances along the way. They relied on trying to punch their way up the field through their forwards and hoping for either a penalty or a Parramatta mistake to give them good field position.

Had they achieved that, playmaker Jason Smith would have tried to make something happen inside the opposition's 20m area, but over the critical closing stages the Eels kept the discipline up and the errors down and Canberra never got into position to take a decent shot at them. The Raiders could have chanced their arm from a lot further out and given the ball more air if they had wished, but that isn't the way they play. They don't have the most dazzling player roster. They mostly rely on persistence, commitment, dogged forward play and the other team's mistakes. Overall, it works for them.

It was harder for Canberra on Saturday night, with fullback Clinton Schifcofske, centre Adam Mogg and hooker Simon Woolford - three of their most dangerous players - all unavailable. Parramatta were missing several stars as well, but they still had a few others they could count on to do the business.

The Raiders play to their strengths and are well coached by Matthew Elliott and that is why they were in the top eight going into the weekend, ahead of a number of teams that have better-looking rosters on paper. If they were to start pushing the envelope too hard, they would come unstuck.
Maybe they would have at least forced extra time had they taken more chances against Parramatta, but we shouldn't criticise them for sticking to their proven formula. It will continue to get them more wins than trying to cut loose beyond their limitations will.

The Eels will continue to use the possibility of making a late charge at a finals berth as motivation, but they are going to have to improve significantly to get there.

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
Tokyo_Raider said:
Seems reasonable to me:

Eels expose weakness in Raiders' script

Greg Prichard
July 3, 2006

SATURDAY ANALYSIS

CANBERRA play the percentages more than any other team in the NRL. Sometimes it works for them and sometimes it doesn't. Against an improved Parramatta at Canberra Stadium, it didn't.

The Raiders had the job of trying to reel in the Eels during the second half, when the Eels led 16-12 and then 18-12, but they weren't prepared to take many chances along the way. They relied on trying to punch their way up the field through their forwards and hoping for either a penalty or a Parramatta mistake to give them good field position.

Had they achieved that, playmaker Jason Smith would have tried to make something happen inside the opposition's 20m area, but over the critical closing stages the Eels kept the discipline up and the errors down and Canberra never got into position to take a decent shot at them. The Raiders could have chanced their arm from a lot further out and given the ball more air if they had wished, but that isn't the way they play. They don't have the most dazzling player roster. They mostly rely on persistence, commitment, dogged forward play and the other team's mistakes. Overall, it works for them.

It was harder for Canberra on Saturday night, with fullback Clinton Schifcofske, centre Adam Mogg and hooker Simon Woolford - three of their most dangerous players - all unavailable. Parramatta were missing several stars as well, but they still had a few others they could count on to do the business.

The Raiders play to their strengths and are well coached by Matthew Elliott and that is why they were in the top eight going into the weekend, ahead of a number of teams that have better-looking rosters on paper. If they were to start pushing the envelope too hard, they would come unstuck.
Maybe they would have at least forced extra time had they taken more chances against Parramatta, but we shouldn't criticise them for sticking to their proven formula. It will continue to get them more wins than trying to cut loose beyond their limitations will.

The Eels will continue to use the possibility of making a late charge at a finals berth as motivation, but they are going to have to improve significantly to get there.

I'm starting to doubt that with our obvious poor attitude in games we are expected to win and I'm not even an Elliott hater!

aussies1st

Staff member
Check look back at how we beat the Roosters. We played an expansive game. I didn't see us coming unstuck then so why not keep going with that plan.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
We lose most of our attacking potency with Mogg and Shif out. Whilst Graham is a great finisher he doesn't create opportunities. That is why I am advocate for moving him to the wing and putting Chalk in the centres.

dubby

Bench
A "well coached team" would be mentally prepared every week and not show mental lapses that cost us games we should win. The BRoncos had a team of 18 and 19 year olds that beat the 3rd placed almost full strenght Sharks.
That is a well coached team.

I'm not an Elliot basher but he MUST get the team prepared mentally every week, full strength or not.

Are the baby Broncos able to play a more expansive game than us due to talent, coaching style, or self belief and mental preparation...or a combination of a few???

cooba

Juniors
Parra came here very committed- they were here on the Wed,most teams arrive on the Friday. You could see by the warm-up on the field (raiders warmed -up out the back) how focused they were. This was one game Taylor was desperate to win,equally Elliot should have been just as desperate!!

Edwahu

Bench
How can we know what our strengths are if we never test ourselves?
Thats the problem. We just cant win enough games if we are too conservative.
I think there are good signs in general though, ignoring Saturdays game.

reptar

Juniors
That article annoyed me. I just read it and was about to come on here to start a topic about it if someone hadn't already.

Bay56

First Grade
aussies1st said:
Check look back at how we beat the Roosters. We played an expansive game. I didn't see us coming unstuck then so why not keep going with that plan.

Spot on mate ... as I stated in a post after the game, we placed the cue back in the rack ... and there was absolutely no reason why we should have ... the ball was played up the middle 5th of the field, barely went more than one of the ruck, Smith did the kicking and Carney was hardly to be seen, we played the short side time and time again ...

basically we went out with the wrong tactics, at home, against a team that havent been setting the world on fire ... I'd love to have seen that same side go out with a more positive attitude.

This sh*t about "we don't have the roster to play expansive footy" is utter tripe that only someone of the intellect of Matt Elliot could honestly believe.

Did anyone catch a glimpse of the broncos game yesterday? Don't tell me their roster was any better than ours yesterday. In fact our roster is twice as good as theirs, yet they played expansive footy, and dominated one of the competition heavyweights.

They have a coach who knows how to play attacking football, regardless of his roster, and understands that going one off the ruck all day will not put you in the top 4 come the end of the year.

We have a coach that thinks sending terry martin and Allan rothery straight up the middle of the ruck all night will win us a footy game.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
This sh*t about "we don't have the roster to play expansive footy" is utter tripe that only someone of the intellect of Matt Elliot could honestly believe.

Did anyone catch a glimpse of the broncos game yesterday? Don't tell me their roster was any better than ours yesterday. In fact our roster is twice as good as theirs, yet they played expansive footy, and dominated one of the competition heavyweights.

They have a coach who knows how to play attacking football, regardless of his roster, and understands that going one off the ruck all day will not put you in the top 4 come the end of the year.

We have a coach that thinks sending terry martin and Allan rothery straight up the middle of the ruck all night will win us a footy game.
Good post. There is more to attacking than just going up the middle trying to tire the opposition. Hitting it up the middle taking on players is good for part of the game, but holes need to be found and run through.

If there is one benefit of out style it may well be that opposition teams see that we will only run up the middle and therefore compress their line. This then allows us to spread it wide and find gaps. Shame that the ball rarely gets that far.

Latest posts