What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Eels tell Vella he can go to Hull - but only if they get their new man

lucablight

First Grade
PARRAMATTA are set to release former Test prop Michael Vella to play out his career with newly promoted Super League club Hull Kingston Rovers - if they can secure a suitable replacement.
Vella, who last year overcame a battle with thyroid cancer, has another season remaining on his contract with the Eels but Hull KR are prepared to offer him a longer deal to be one of their marquee players in the famous club's first season in Super League after winning the division one premiership.
The 28-year-old Australia international is a former teammate of Rovers coach Justin Morgan and captain James Webster, and has often expressed a desire to have a stint playing in Britain before he retires. But his release depends on Parramatta being able to replace him, and it is understood they are waiting on a decision from another front-rower at a rival NRL club, who is also considering an overseas offer.
If Vella goes to Hull KR, he will be Rovers' first NRL recruit but the Humberside club has signed former Wests Tigers captain Mark O'Neill from Leeds.
Tigers hooker Isaac De Gois was also considering joining Hull KR but will instead play for Cronulla next season.
New Zealand Invitation hooker Rangi Chase, a former schoolmate of Benji Marshall's at Keebra Park High, has also been released to join St George Illawarra after the Tigers extended the contract of Junior Kangaroos rake Stuart Flanagan.
The Dragons have also signed prop Adam Peek from Parramatta.
Meanwhile, South Sydney Football Club has submitted a tender for the redevelopment of the leagues club, which is under the control of financial administrators.
Final tenders are being accepted this week and the Rabbitohs are expected to face competition from a number of property developers.
If Souths' bid is successful, a hall of fame will be established on the premises, similar to the museum being set up by fellow foundation club Sydney Roosters as part of its 100th season celebrations in 2007.
"I envy their situation and I would hope that we could one day have that as well," Rabbitohs executive chairman Peter Holmes a Court said.
"To have the financial strength of their leagues club to be able to do that is something I would like us to have."
In other news, former Cronulla hooker Matt Hilder yesterday pleaded guilty to assault in a Sydney court.
Hilder, 24, allegedly threw a plastic chair at a middle-aged man during an argument in Milba Road, Caringbah, on September 10.
Hilder, who has signed with the new Gold Coast Titans franchise, pleaded guilty to one charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm in a brief appearance at Sutherland Local Court.
He will be sentenced on November 1 and is due at Titans orientation on the Gold Coast on November 6, with full training to resume a week later.
Brad Walter

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/e...et-their-newman/2006/10/26/1161749256526.html

yy_cheng

Coach
Why would the Drags sign Peek? I thought that they had alot of young forwards. Anyway, good luck to peeky

bartman

Immortal
If Vella had a clause like that there could be any number of players under contract with similar weird clauses. Remains to be seen who they are and whether they come to Parra.

Am not sure of the circumstances of Craig Smith and Luke Davico who joined Hages at Newcastle for this season? He might look at getting another year out of one of them, buying Hages time to then find a longer term replacement front rower once he's properly established at the club.

Stagger eel

Staff member
what it shows to me is that we're not prepared to offload him and be a frontrower down going into next season, which is a good move...

I read elsewhere that Jason Williams and Willie Raston from Canberra are looking for new deals, could it be one of those??

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
not much left on the market,

cant see us finding a replacement

apparently there is a replacement in place...or so i was told this morning, but only if Vella leaves off course.

strider

Post Whore
oooo - its all happening - new jersey, new coach coming, vella gone and replaced with someone else - who said the off-season is boring

The Colonel

Immortal

The Colonel

Immortal
eelavation said:
I read elsewhere that Jason Williams and Willie Raston from Canberra are looking for new deals, could it be one of those??

Preferably Raston ahead of Williams. Williams hasn't done much since he had a half decent year at Cronulla. Raston has an upside in terms of age.

DOB:
21 April, 1984 in Palmerston North, NZ

Position: Prop

Height: 183cm

Weight: 107kg

Junior Club:
Keywest Lions

Contract with Raiders:
end of 2008

Representative:
Nil

Previous Clubs:
Nil

FG Debut:
Yet to make

prof06.jpg

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]
[/FONT]

Game Time:
Has played in Junior New Zealand representative teams throughout his development, including the Under 16 and Under 18 NZ teams. He was a Junior Kiwi representative in 2000 and 2001 with players including Sonny-Bill Williams. Spotted by Don Furner snr while playing for the Junior Kiwis and recruited to the Raiders. Started for the Raiders in in Jersey Flegg in 2002, played the entire 2005 season in Premier League. Represented New Zealand Maoris in a three-game series in 2005.

Fulltime Fun:
The nephew of former Raiders and New Zealand Test prop John Lomax. Raston’s mother Marina is the cousin of John and David Lomax, who both played with the Raiders … traveled to Canberra for his 11th birthday to watch the Raiders play the Cowboys … his favourite player as a kid was Stephen Kearney … always spends Christmas in New Zealand with his family … his father, Robert, comes from a musical family. Willie can play guitar and drums and he likes R&B music.

Latest posts