What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH: Storm must attack, says Eels great

Hurriflatch

Referee
Storm must attack, says Eels great

Stathi Paxinos | August 17, 2007

IF MELBOURNE Storm failed to secure a convincing win over Parramatta at Olympic Park tonight, it would be ripe for the picking as self-doubts set in about whether it could actually reproduce the attractive football that made it a premiership favourite, former Eels great Brett Kenny said yesterday.
The Storm's premiership standing has begun to look shaky after several lacklustre performances during the past month, where it has had three wins that at best could be described as grinding and a poor loss against Sydney Roosters.
Coach Craig Bellamy has maintained that everything is on course, pointing out that the Storm had been winning and that the ugly style had been dictated by the opponents' tactics.
But Eels great Kenny said the Storm needed to rediscover the attacking football for which it was known and dominate tonight against the third-placed Eels. He said there was only so long the Storm could keep holding off opponents for wins.
"I guess it remains to be seen if they can keep going that way," Kenny said. "I'm not saying necessarily win by 20 or 30 points but win the game and win it comfortably and be on top for most of the game and if they can do that against Parramatta, I think you'd be very happy going into the finals series.
"I think if Melbourne can get back to throwing the ball around and playing really attractive, attacking football, their confidence will grow and I'm sure their coach will be a lot more pleased because you want them playing that way coming into the finals.
"It's all well and good to grind out a result — if it was a grand final they'd do that and you'd be happy — but I just think I'm starting to wonder how long they can keep playing the way they are and keep getting victories."
The Storm should be primed for tonight's clash after a week of controversy and finger pointing at Melbourne, including by Eels coach Michael Hagan, for being the worst grapple-tackle offenders in the competition. Melbourne retaliated by showing several examples of Eels players, as well as players from other teams, using the tactic.
Asked if he would instruct his side to keep its cool given the build-up, Hagan said: "I don't know that we've said that. I think that you need to be aggressive in the way you play and (it's) a big game.
"There's going to be plenty at stake and plenty of emotion in the game and this (controversy) has only added to all that."
Parramatta is close to full strength for the clash, which could end up being crucial to its home final chances, but has won only one of its past seven games against the Storm.
However, the Eels have a good record at Olympic Park, where the Storm holds only a 4-3 advantage. The Storm will be without star backs Matt King (wrist) and Steve Turner (knee) with Anthony Quinn to start in the centres and Will Chambers on the wing.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...says-eels-great/2007/08/16/1186857682232.html

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not necessarily.

If we sack up and pressure them then throwing the football around too often will lead to a lot of Melbourne turnovers.

eels_fan_01

Bench
If Eels win tonight and i think they will to me it wont hurt the Storms crebility, we have played some very good games and very average ones. They Forget Storm lost 4 games last season and if they lose tonight it will be 4 again, very impressive record.

Parra Guru

Coach
TBH I think they only loss is King to them. I don't really rate Turner. Still, I gather we will target their replacements.

If we play to our potential we could actually put a lot of points on I think. It's such a big IF though.

redeel

Juniors
eric grothe must stand his ground ,and stay in position.having said that finch must call his defence over early ,notice he never call platers over in defence ,and we get caught out when grothe comes in slightly and the opposition create an overlap every time,a five eight must read the game in advance finch does not do that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
redeel said:
eric grothe must stand his ground ,and stay in position.having said that finch must call his defence over early ,notice he never call platers over in defence ,and we get caught out when grothe comes in slightly and the opposition create an overlap every time,a five eight must read the game in advance finch does not do that.

I remember for Lyon's first try when we played them at Parra, one of the Manly front-rowers was tackled right in front of the posts, about a metre out and Finch, who was right next to the tackle when it occurred was screaming for blokes to come right (he only had Smith and Grothe outside him) and nobody moved. Everyone was too focused on the play-the-ball.

This is a problem common to young players - they get tunnel vision in tight situations (Mateo, Paulo and Hauraki were the main offenders on that play).

goboggo

Juniors
Does anyone think our defensive problems have been worse since Burt was injured?

He did a lot of talking at the back.

redeel

Juniors
finch must have more vision and see what is comming up earlier,it is our weakest position and all the opposition know it,and exploit it, that prick lyon scored 2 in the corner for the win.lets hope they have focused on tha side of the field.
but you are correct pou, inexprience counts for a lot,unfortunantley finch should be guiding them around more positivley after all he has been playing for quite a while and should be an old hand at it