What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith back to try for Raiders, bad statue news

GreenGuy

By Billy Freeman
January 26, 2005

JASON Smith will literally see his first full game of NRL football in four years next month when he plays in Canberra's first trial against the Bulldogs in Gosford.

The 32-year old has returned to Australia to turn out for the Raiders in 2005 after four years playing for Leeds in the English Super League, culminating with the Rhinos' 18-8 win over Bradford in last year's grand final.

In his time away, he said he only saw a handful of games from home.

"I've barely even watched a game, the last time I saw a game was four years ago," Smith said.

His lack of knowledge of the local game means he is non-committal about his chances of playing representative football this season.

"You wouldn't believe how many people have asked me that," he said.

"But everyone's been telling me how hard and fast it is now so I have to see how I go at it before I start thinking about rep footy."

In his mid-90s prime, Smith was one of the game's most dangerous players, playing 13 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 16 Tests for Australia as a five-eighth or lock.

He has been signed alongside fellow former first grader Matt Adamson, and the pair join captain Simon Woolford and veteran Jason Croker as elder statesmen.

Smith said he is likely to wear the number six jersey this season, with coach Matt Elliott wanting him to fill one of the club's rotating halves positions, with Brad Drew playing there last year largely as a stopgap.

"It looks like it will be five-eighth, that's where I've been training the most," Smith said.

"There's quite a lot of young blokes in this team and we just want to bring these kids along."

Meanwhile, former Canberra prop Luke Davico's career with Wigan has not gotten off to a good start after he aggravated the pectoral injury he had last year just five minutes into a trial match against Salford.

"He has aggravated his pec injury, which is a bit of a blow to us," Wigan coach Denis Betts said.

"I cannot really comment on how bad it is, but they are not normally nice, those things."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Good to see Smith is being groomed ast the five-eighth and not the halfback, but shocking news about Davico there, the poor bugger can't seem to take a trick.

legend

Coach
Seems the club have been vindicated in releasing Luke Davico. If it's as serious as it sounds, we'd already be a man down before a ball had been kicked in anger.

Score update reads:

Raiders management 1

Disgruntled fans 0

Raider Azz

Bench
legend said:
Seems the club have been vindicated in releasing Luke Davico. If it's as serious as it sounds, we'd already be a man down before a ball had been kicked in anger.

Score update reads:

Raiders management 1

Disgruntled fans 0
That's the first thing I thought too.

Raider_69

Post Whore
legend said:

Score update reads:

Raiders management 1

Disgruntled fans 0

i disagree
all it does is show that the bloke was prone to an injury
at this stage had we held on to him we wouldnt have played 1 minute of football, he would have had a number of weeks left to recooperate. That probably would have made all the difference the real score up date

Stupidity - 1
Wigan - 0

why did they rush him back, it was only trials

greeneyed

First Grade
legend said:

Score update reads:

Raiders management 1

Disgruntled fans 0

Legend... you are precisely right. I have to say I was worried about losing Davico's experience... but he is old for a football player and he always had suspect hands. Those errors cost us more than we really know.

thickos

First Grade
LOL @ that article. The first thing I thought was 'what the hell, he didn't play for Leeds.' More quality work from Fox :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Statue - I feel for the guy but let's face it, he is an injury liability these days. Stupid on Wigan's behalf as well.

jed

First Grade
I never respected them, but I lost any respect I could ever have held for them once they used the Jensen photo last year - "Hey, he's black, he'll do"

#-o

Raider_69

Post Whore
jed said:
I never respected them, but I lost any respect I could ever have held for them once they used the Jensen photo last year - "Hey, he's black, he'll do"

#-o

that was utterly disgraceful!
i couldnt believe that, they are lucky Jensen did sue the f**king life out of them :evil:

Edwahu

Bench
If we had of signed an adequate replacement then this would make management look like they made the right decision but with Thompson, Cross etc been touted as starters it would frankly take a season ending injury to Statue for them to be vindicated.

legend

Coach
I don't think there were a lot of quality props on the market and we would have had to pay top dollar to secure a decent prop. We should be looking for a good junior like we did with O'Hara.

thickos

First Grade
legend said:
I don't think there were a lot of quality props on the market and we would have had to pay top dollar to secure a decent prop. We should be looking for a good junior like we did with O'Hara.

Agreed, and considering Fielden is a few years away we should make a foray into the market this July.

legend

Coach
For sure. The club has placed a big emphasis on developing young talent and there must be a lot of good quality juniors around.

Bullseye

Juniors
Fair enough Davico is injury prone but having a pop at Wigan for being stupid is a bit much when the Raiders have signed Jason "Sicknote" Smith.