What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith Free to Play in Grand Final

ByRd

First Grade
Brad Walter | September 24, 2007 - 12:30PM

Melbourne Storm forward Jeremy Smith has escaped suspension and can play in Sunday's NRL grand final despite being charged today over a high tackle.

Smith has been charged with a grade one careless high tackle following yesterday's 26-10 victory over the Parramatta Eels.

The tackle on Jarryd Hayne in the 67th minute had led to conjecture that the Parramatta fullback may have taken a dive, a subject that Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy refused to comment on after the match.

However he will not be suspended, whether or not he enters an early guilty plea or opts to defend the charge, as it does not carry enough penalty points to incur a ban.

Parramatta's Timana Tahu has been charged with a head slam on young Storm centre Israel Folau. and faces a two match ban. Tahu played his last game of league yesterday before joining Super 14 franchise, NSW Waratahs. If found guilty, his suspension will carry over to rugby union.

Parramatta utility Daniel Wagon has been charged with a dangerous throw and faces a two match suspension at the start of next season.

SMH

Joe Davola

Juniors
doglyf said:
Tahu played his last game of league yesterday before joining Super 14 franchise, NSW Waratahs. If found guilty, his suspension will carry over to rugby union.

I can understand Union honouring a drugs suspension (eg Andrew Walker), but why would Union care about a suspension for a tackle in a rugby league game?

What if he was switching to soccer or AFL or taking up Pro Tennis ?

yobbo84

Coach
doglyf said:
Parramatta's Timana Tahu has been charged with a head slam on young Storm centre Israel Folau. and faces a two match ban. Tahu played his last game of league yesterday before joining Super 14 franchise, NSW Waratahs. If found guilty, his suspension will carry over to rugby union.

I didn't know you could do that... LOL. The NRL should've given him a 14 match ban just to p*ss Wara-Rah's off!

ByRd

First Grade
Yeh thats what i thought when i read it, i dont understand that, what if he went to Golf or something?

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Good news for Melbourne though with having Smith free for the FG.

Hes been awesome off the bench for them this year, as well as Lima. Hope both players get named to the Kiwi train on squad. Blair too.

Bman26

Juniors
doglyf said:
Yeh thats what i thought when i read it, i dont understand that, what if he went to Golf or something?

he'd have to miss the first two holes:lol::lol::lol:

Geohood

Bench
yobbo84 said:
I didn't know you could do that... LOL. The NRL should've given him a 14 match ban just to p*ss Wara-Rah's off!

Haha exactly what I was thinking - Give him like 5 weeks to be more subtle..

Shorty

Staff member
KiWi_BoI_15 said:
Good news for Melbourne though with having Smith free for the FG.

Hes been awesome off the bench for them this year, as well as Lima. Hope both players get named to the Kiwi train on squad. Blair too.
Lima's a Kiwi?
His mouth guard appears to be of the french flag...

Charlie124

First Grade
I thought it was only "stars" who get off at the judicary, you know... because the NRL plays favourites with certain players and not others. Who knew Jerremy Smith was such a superstar?

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
Charlie124 said:
I thought it was only "stars" who get off at the judicary, you know... because the NRL plays favourites with certain players and not others. Who knew Jerremy Smith was such a superstar?
Shouldn't of got chaarged in the first place.

Be prepared for countles more acting in the coming seasons. Seems they gain an advantage every time.

Downie

Guest Moderator
Captian_Klutz said:
Shouldn't of got chaarged in the first place.

Be prepared for countles more acting in the coming seasons. Seems they gain an advantage every time.

Hayne's dive had nothing to do with the charge. It was your typical grade one careless. Correct charge, correct result.

parra pete

Referee
Why wasn't Bellamy and his players charged with Contary Conduct for the newly devised Ripper tackle. First the grapple, then the crusher, now the ripper. Unbelievably against the spirit of the game, same as the wishbone tackle effected on Luke O'Donnell by Wests Tigers players earlier in the season
It seems maim the man has become a ploy of Bellamy and the Storm. It has turned me off him and his team - needs a good look at by the NRL. Someone is going to be sued.
Reminds me of Pine Tree Meads deliberately maiming Ken Catchpole in the early sixties. Robbed the Wallabies of one of the all time greats

Latest posts