What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith gets a good look at the future

So this is what the future holds..sure a lot of tackling but some experienced dead wood..please go away tighe...and if omeone isnt teaching these kids to defend from marker then that defensive coach if we have one needs to be freakin sacked

aqua_duck

Coach
There are guys who will get a run with us who wouldnt get a run at any other club because under Hagan and Sarge recruitment and scouting was kept to a are minimum if that. Hence the depth needs to be slowly built up

I remember a few years back when the tigers cleaned u up at campbelltown, sarge went into damagecontrol and went over to NZ with "a list of names in his suitcase" and a chequebook. What I'm stil to figue out is did he actually sign anyone on his little holiday?

Gene Krupa

Referee
Ok. I've been riding Tighe for weeks but seriously, he HAS to go. Deadset useless, no conifdence in his winger and no vision and he can't defend to save his life! He's not even premier league grade. Talked himself up no end last season and has nothing.

*Waits for all the posts to say he's been improving! :roll:*

keeney

First Grade
I'd cut Macdougall too, deadset, rushes up creates a gap, happened so many times today...

Gordon couldn't be more tackle shy, doesn't even attempt half of them.

We really need a decent tackling dummy half to deputise Bedsy. When he isn't there our ruck defence suffers really badly.

Jono078

Referee
What the hell you guys scared about?

Bunch of 20 year olds out there today along with a few who wont be with us within 2 years.

The Raiders were similar to this in the past few years, theyre slowly coming good, atleast up in Canberra.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't get what people are talking about in here. Any side without its top three players, five other first grade regulars, and playing that Brisbane outfit would have struggled - let alone one that features a swathe of bright but inexperienced young talents.

Watching the first half today, it was clear that what we need to recruit during the off season are workhorse forwards such as Campion/Grief/Rauhihi (in their day) to stiffen the pack, and a few seasoned campaigners to cover places in the halves and backline. Mad Dog is not this. Mad Dog's best years are well behind him, and the man is lazy. Four players with experience would have meant the world of difference today. As it was, you had a twenty year old Mullen trying to instill some passion in a side full of guys who are still a season off being what you'd call reliable first grade players.

I have no doubt that there were at least six or seven future top flight players on the field today between Snowden, Tuafua, Karawana, Vuna, McManus, and the gang - it's just a matter of them having the support network around them to ensure they reach their potential. As it is we have a side almost solely comprised of local talent and it's feeding itself. No other club is this suicidal. We need to be bringing in experienced campaigners and first graders to help these kids out - not the cast offs of other clubs or washed up former Knights players like Mad Dog.

cram

Bench
CWBush said:
I don't get what people are talking about in here. Any side without its top three players, five other first grade regulars, and playing that Brisbane outfit would have struggled - let alone one that features a swathe of bright but inexperienced young talents.

Watching the first half today, it was clear that what we need to recruit during the off season are workhorse forwards such as Campion/Grief/Rauhihi (in their day) to stiffen the pack, and a few seasoned campaigners to cover places in the halves and backline. Mad Dog is not this. Mad Dog's best years are well behind him, and the man is lazy. Four players with experience would have meant the world of difference today. As it was, you had a twenty year old Mullen trying to instill some passion in a side full of guys who are still a season off being what you'd call reliable first grade players.

I have no doubt that there were at least six or seven future top flight players on the field today between Snowden, Tuafua, Karawana, Vuna, McManus, and the gang - it's just a matter of them having the support network around them to ensure they reach their potential. As it is we have a side almost solely comprised of local talent and it's feeding itself. No other club is this suicidal. We need to be bringing in experienced campaigners and first graders to help these kids out - not the cast offs of other clubs or washed up former Knights players like Mad Dog.

Thanks for grounding me CWB, I guess I expected a loss today but not quiet as much as what we got flogged by. However, I can see your points and you are right with what you say.

Misanthrope

Staff member
1: Kurt Gidley
2: James McManus
3: NEW
4: NEW
5: Akuila Uate/Cooper Vuna/Paul Franze
6: NEW
7: Jarrod Mullen
8: NEW
9: Danny Buderus
10: NEW
11: Steve Simpson
12: Cory Patterson
13: NEW

14: Adam Woolnough/Josh Perry
15: Mark Tuafua
16: Kade Snowden/Matthew White
17: Clint Newton/Mitchell Sargent

That's, in my opinion, what we need to be looking at doing for next year. Obviously there are some names missing, but they'd be fighting for bench spots rather than starting berths.

roopy

Referee
they say you need to play 50 games of firstgrade to know what you are doing.
It showed how many of our guys need another year or so of firstgrade before they are ready.
I think this time next year we will be running into great form.

chinorocks

Juniors
Can't agree on Mad Dog. I was at the game and while his execution wasn't great (who's was?) he was just about the only one having a dig.

keeney

First Grade
He was also the one who at 31 still doesn't know how to keep a line. His runs were way down today, and of a noticeably lesser quality, but thats forgivable, opening up for about 4 tries isn't (exageration I'm aware).

He wasn't my main problem though, Gordon was, 7 tackles, 9 missed. Tackle shy to the point of not attempting at least 5, poorly positioned, deadset pathetic.

voltron

Juniors
yeah gordon was shocking
i mean didnt even threaten them in the fullback position
very poor

but i agree, any team missing the quality we were missing would have gotten flogged by brisbane today. especially since they were bouncing back from an amazing origin win

why do we vs them on the back of a test win????
i dun think thats helpful for us
just helpful for them....

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
CWBush said:
I

We need to be bringing in experienced campaigners and first graders to help these kids out - not the cast offs of other clubs or washed up former Knights players like Mad Dog.

The perfect soloution to that would be Paul Whatuira from the tigers - only 25 he's won two nrl finals and experienced international. IMO best defensive centre in the NRL will compliment Uate and Vuna perfectly. Dont think he ever has an off-day. He is renowned for a good attitude and will be senior player to help some of the young guys off the field as well as on it.

fred_knight

Juniors
Isnt it annoying how the broncos have 413(slight exageration) players in origin and all back up a few days later, we have 4 players in origin and only one backs up, conspiracy theory or just bad luck?

Latest posts