What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith out of Origin

Evergreen

Juniors
I would have liked to have seen him play Origin, especially if I had an iron-clad guarantee that he would not be injured. He would've carved it up.

A terrific decision for the club though. He has rightfully put himself and the Raiders before any other football, and I'm delirious because I'll get to see more of him in the green jersey. :mrgreen:

thickos

First Grade
He probably acknowledges his time has come at the rep level.

We need him more than Queensland do, so it is great news for the club. I am praying he will be back on deck for the Penrith match, as sternums can take a long time to recover from :?

thickos

First Grade
Raiders the priority as veteran Smith quits Origin side
By Peter Fitzgerald Rugby league
Thursday, 28 April 2005

As surprised as he was at being included in a preliminary Queensland State Of Origin squad on Tuesday, Raiders five-eighth Jason Smith yesterday dished out a formidable surprise of his own.

The 33-year-old sent a shock wave through the Australian rugby league community when he announced his retirement from representative football.

A veteran of 16 games for the Maroons between 1994 and 2000, Smith was dumbfounded and flattered by his inclusion in the squad named by coach Michael Hagan. Of the initial 22 players named, 17 will be selected to take on the NSW Blues in the first Origin encounter at Suncorp Stadium on May 25.

Aware his name had been mooted around selection meetings in recent weeks, Smith had rummaged with the idea of how his aging body would cope with the rigours of Origin while still wanting to succeed with Canberra.

"There were a lot of things to consider and I thought I still had a few weeks to make my decision," Smith said yesterday.

"I probably could have played really well with Queensland but then have to miss up to six games with the Raiders.

"I didn't want to miss six games. I think I play a pivotal role with this club and I enjoy it here.

"I want to play for this side and I want this side to do really well and I didn't want to let Canberra down after they got me back here."

The Raiders' three opponents on the weekends immediately after the Origin games are the Roosters, Bulldogs and Storm, and Smith was not prepared to risk missing those matches.

The first taxing back-ups he has had to endure this year came after Canberra's match against the Rabbitohs on Easter Monday. The Raiders hosted St George Illawarra five days later and that short period between matches bordered on sufficient for Smith and his body.

"If you're talking about playing an Origin game which is tougher and faster, and then have to back up two, three or four days later, it's certainly about looking after myself.

"I feel really good now but if I had had played Origin and backed up in those games I reckon two or three games after the Origin series I would have been really flat and wouldn't have been much value to Canberra."

Raiders coach Matt Elliott applauded Smith's move, saying it was inspiring for the club.

But he found it "a little hard to fathom" why his number one play-maker would turn down an opportunity to play Origin again.

"The guy has made a decision to turn his back on probably the greatest rugby league arena there is for the benefit of this organisation."

+++++++++++++++

from http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... sport&story_id=389362&y=2005&m=4

Latest posts