What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snoring - what helps to reduce/stop it

Yep I’m a snorer. Always have been since adulthood to the best of my knowledge.

Had surgery to fix a deviated septum years ago which had drastically reduced it, but it’s come back. My missus even recorded me the other night.... geez it sounded barbaric...

So anyone got any advice on what’s worked for them or who they lie next to?

I’ve had a sleep test and it’s not sleep apnoea...

I always sleep on my side... still snore

have tried decongestant sprays, those nose bandage thingos...

Hope I don’t need a CPAP machine...

Cheers.
BBJF

The_Frog

First Grade

Had surgery to fix a deviated septum years ago which had drastically reduced it, but it’s come back. My missus even recorded me the other night.... geez it sounded barbaric...

Cheers.
BBJF
Losing weight helps.

Generalzod

Immortal

Cheers.
BBJF
Maybe change your pillow, I haven’t tried it but what about those mist machines have you had a look at them, I’ve noticed to that if I lay straight on my back I snore a bit, but when I sleep on my side I stop snoring.

The_Frog

First Grade
Maybe change your pillow, I haven’t tried it but what about those mist machines have you had a look at them, I’ve noticed to that if I lay straight on my back I snore a bit, but when I sleep on my side I stop snoring.
That's because lying on your back causes the tissue in your throat to lapse, creating vibration and noise when breathing. Lying on your side leaves space for the air to pass, unless it's more severe.

Cheers guys...really appreciate the tips n suggestions.

I’m pretty sure I need another sleep test, after the one I did two years ago suggested I didn’t have sleep apnoea...

Re lying on back/side... I always sleep on my side but still happens... on the occasion I’m on my back it does get worse..

The mist machine thingo... I’ll def look into that.

Losing weight... yeah might help although I’m “not enormous” ... 188cm/91kgs. If you believe BMI that suggests I’m overweight but so would all the players in the NRL...

That mouth guard thing... looks interesting... i did see a new dentist about 2 months ago and I got a Moulded mouth guard made up to help stop by bottom teeth grinding against my top ones... this could possibly kill two-birds...

The other thing he said is that I have “a big tongue”... more wide and height than length (sadly for my missus)..It’s not a freak show size but still, the size could be causing it to drop back during my sleep, snoring etc. But f*** knows that I can do about that... maybe the cpap machine....

@mongoose @The_Frog @Generalzod thanks again... and if anything works here I’m sure my missus would thank you too.

Nealo 12

Bench
Stay off the tins helps as well, exercise in the afternoon, I go riding my mountain bike each afternoon now , I was a bit like you Fifs

Latest posts