What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So close...

Big Pete

Referee
Yet so far.

What did you guys make of season 2010?

Personally, I thought it was always going to be a difficult season and the best we could of hoped for was a number of impressive performances and maybe uncovering one or two players.

We did much better than that.

We came within a whisker of making it - or at least a tackle. Without Lockyer there we just lost our way and were absolutely rolled by teams that were much more desperate than us in making the play offs.

Aside from those last few losses, season 2010 was a very encouraging season for our boys.

We found ourselves a fullback in Josh Hoffman who absolutely starred for us this season. If he continues to grow, he could play a vital part of the Broncos success in years to come.

Folau made his decision and will be trying his hand at AFL. Certainly a sad loss not only for the Broncos but the game of League itself. Thankfully he definitely saved his best for last and he produced by far his best ever season.

Lockyer decided to extend his representative career. In reaching that decision he also rediscovered some of his best ever form to push the Broncos into a very promising position.

The club unearthed Matt Gillett who should win the Dally M Rookie of the Year award on Tuesday. Gillett was a brilliant discovery by Henjak and if he can continue to develop he will become a representative star. Ben Hunt, Corey Norman, Gerard Beale and Mitchell Dodds also showed some promising signs for the future.

And finally the club signed two huge acquisitions in Ben Hannant and Greg Inglis. Both will be a big boost to the club and hopefully propel us to premiership contenders.

The season itself truly was a mixed bag.

It started slowly with injuries keeping us from reaching any real heights until we turned it around against the Storm in Melbourne. To me, this is perhaps one of the best victories in the club's history and if there is one game to take out of 2010 it's this one.

We then went onto win 4 more games until we ran out of gas against Penrith. We then had something of a patten then on, exchanging losses for wins before we broke that against the Cowboys...who effectively ruined our season.

Performance wise, I thought our backrow performed sensationally. In fact, it was so good, at one point Henjak tried to fit as many backrowers he could to the point where we had Glenn playing in the centres and Setu playing prop. But really, it's perhaps one of the best backrows I've seen the Broncos field, period.

Aside from that, I thought the side did well building off the back of Hoffman, Folau and Lockyer.

Obviously there were some disappointments too. I thought Wallace and McCullough under performed this season and our front row simply wasn't good enough. Tronc's signing proved to be a nice reprieve but for the most part, we had very little to work with up-front.

I was also very disappointed in the performance of the 20's. Going on paper, this was by far our best ever squad but at times they just lacked the discipline required to win games and would easily surrender leads for whatever reason. Injuries didn't help matters but really...

Apart from that it's been a very promising season and I feel we're only going to be better for it next year. It's been great having a number of you guys on board - your contributions are all welcome and I love the fact we can all have civilised conversations about the club that we love the Broncos.

I'll be announcing the player of the year sometime later this week so keep your eyes peeled.

I'll also organise a banner to the Daily Telegraph Fantasy Winner. Congrats to whoever took it out!

I hope all of you guys stick around for the off-season as we look forward to what should be a very interesting 2011 season.

screeder

Juniors
So close yet so far is hitting the nail on the head.

At one stage we were premiership favourites behind Dragons and then didn't even make the 8.

In my opinion the season can be summed up in 3 words.... cruelled by injuries

Meanie

Juniors
A truly rollercoaster season. Had a start that made them look favourites for the wooden spoon then a mid season that made them look favourites for the premiership.

Looking at it with perspective though, it was always going to be a challenging season with so many young players. They'll definitely be in good stead for next year.

Disappointment of the year was definitely Peter Wallace though. Thankfully Ben Hunt showed enough that he may be the long term answer at number 7.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Inexperience got us in the end. the young blokes had a go but at times were overawed, couldn't get themselves into the game etc.

the roster is probably one of the weakest ever fielded and after a horror start they did well to get back into the 8. i look back on a few games we let slip and i think had we had a bit more experience we may have been able to win those. i don't know how many rookies we blooded this year but there was hell of a lot.

last year was meant to be the rebuilding phase, this year truly was, and tbh whilst it's nice being in the finals every year, missing out this year probably makes the players more hungry. i believe after a while it gets to be an "expectation" that you'll make the 8 and it's hard to keep up the desire and intensity every week cos you just assume you'll be there

there's some great youngsters coming through, i see hoffman and gillett as definite rep players in the near future, you gotta remember hodges was missing all season and we missed Hunt's ball playing at the back (although hoffman brought back the roving fullback role!). i thought at times winterstein was missing for large chunks of games.

Most dissapointing though was some of our more experienced plaeyrs not seeming to get much of a look in. Dunno if they were injured but Kemp, Setu and Sims all were left out of a lot of games

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Obviously disappointed with how it ended, but there are many great signs for the future. Gillett and Benny Hunt are improving all the time, Hoffman has now convinced me he is the real deal and our administration has recruited extremely well. Massive new sponsorship deal with NRMA and season ticket memberships for 2011 reportedly swelling. If we can avoid panicing and signing Ricky Stuart, and give Ivan half a break we will be heading for a very successful 2011.

Please don't implode ala Sydney clubs after one say so year in 20. It's only positive if all Brisbane Broncos stick together !:D

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yeah it was always going to be disappointing to not make the finals but yes so many positives to take out of the season. Both Gillette and Hoffman have been excellent. Ben Hunt showed some promise. Mitchel Dodds gives us that sting in defence we badly need. Just needs to do more in attack. Teo finally stepped up to the mark.

Biggest disappointments are Wallace, Kenny and McCullough. However Wallace did really bust his balls for us in the last game. McCullough also found some form late in the season, so I hope he carries that into next year.

beads6

First Grade
I reckon the team over achieved this season. After 10 rounds we were looking at a bottom 2 finish. Then the young boys somehow turned it around. 2011 will be much better, I am not disappointed by the outcome of 2010.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Fantastic season for the Broncos we uncovered a number of future stars - Hoffman, Gillett, Hunt, Norman - These players will be better off next season and the season after that. Big Pete summed the season up perfectly.

Wallace really was a disappointment. Does anyone think Hunt could pressure him for the HB spot next year?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Wallace really was a disappointment. Does anyone think Hunt could pressure him for the HB spot next year?

Yes, the HB spot could be up for grabs. As well as hooker and Kemp's wing (hope that Gagai or Copley could put pressure on). And a spot on the bench.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Glenn will get the utility spot on the bench, and Macca will keep his position as hooker he really started to play well in the last 4 5 games of the season and hopefully he can now keep those good performances coming seeing he has now played over 50 NRL games. As for kemp we will have to wait and see i really like the look of Copley and i haven't seen anything of Gagai but i have heard he is going to be a good quality player. I still think Henjak will stick with wallace

Broncs4ever

Juniors
I must admit I was expecting/hoping for more this season. I went to all the home games and a couple of away games during the year. I came away at the end of it all feeling cheated - cheated that Hodges did not make it back, that Izzy signed for the AFL, that we missed a spot in the top 8 and cheated because it just seemed that we had an awful lot of home game loses. But in reality I think Big Pete summed it all up perfectly. It could have been worse. I look forward to next season, we should be truly awesome and once again the team to beat....

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yeah I guess there won't be too many excuses next year. With Hannant improving the front row, the addition of Inglis, Hodges back from injury and the young guys a year older. Should the Broncos train without Lockyer in pre-season so they can start learning how to play without him?

Big Pete

Referee
They trained without him at the start of this offseason.

Will be interesting to see what Henjak does in the offseason.

applesauce

Bench
We lost in the last minute of the Tigers and Roosters matches (at home). Had we won them we would of been the form team of the comp with 7 from 8 wins and made the 8 easily.

The youngsters will learn from these games, hopefully it isn't so costly next time around.