What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So how will Tonga shape up?

The next big game for Tonga (after the world cup) will be in 5 years.

I've said it a billion times - change the league calendar to include more internationals on Club-free weekends and then you will start to see players seriously considering playing for nations other than Aus and NZ.

Until then, we will have the same farcical situation.

roughyedspud

Coach
the next big game for tonga will be in the 6,7,8 nation thing thats happening next year because the winner of that is likely to be invited to the 4 nations in 2010...

so no it won't be 5 years till the next big game...

the next big game for tonga will be in the 6,7,8 nation thing thats happening next year because the winner of that is likely to be invited to the 4 nations in 2010...

so no it won't be 5 years till the next big game...

I thought they were just putting France in to the 4 nations?

roughyedspud

Coach
in 2009 yes they are putting france in but rumour has it that in 2010 we are either going to have a 4 nations down under with AUS,ENG,NZ plus the winners of the 2009 pacific cup or a 5 nations comp with france & the pacific cup winners..

either way the pacific cup is going to be a big deal..

on another note i read that moimoi & tuiaki are seeking to switch back to tonga ...you lot know how i like to throw out a swear word every now and again....but i'll restrain myself and just say they can go forth and multiply.........

f**king idiots..

Last edited:

bender

Juniors
in 2009 yes they are putting france in but rumour has it that in 2010 we are either going to have a 4 nations down under with AUS,ENG,NZ plus the winners of the 2009 pacific cup or a 5 nations comp with france & the pacific cup winners..

either way the pacific cup is going to be a big deal..

on another not i read that moimoi & tuiaki are seeking to switch back to tonga ...you lot know how i like to throw out a swear word every now and again....but i'll restrain myself and just say they can go forth and multiply.........

f**king idiots..

I doubt it would even be televised, let alone a big deal, although i really hope that the ratings from the world cup means they are televised and a big deal is made of the games.

Regarding Moi Moi and Tuiaki, i dont see a problem with Tonga bringing them back if they declare now.

..they are only young, and they should be decent value in two years when they are eligible.

roughyedspud

Coach
geezz,

i don't think i'll bother because it's people like you and the likes of moimoi,mateo & tuiaki that are ruining international RL..

maybe mateo should come and play for england?

Corbin

Juniors
TONGAN coach Jim Dymock will target Manly prop Brent Kite for the end of season World Cup in Australia.

(I'm waiting for the article to come up on the Manly Daily website as it was in the paper when I read it this morning I'll edit my post when it does with the full article)

Please he played for Australia at the start of the year! This competition can't let this sh*t happen...

flamin

Juniors
Hollywood Jesus said:
I've said it a billion times - change the league calendar to include more internationals on Club-free weekends and then you will start to see players seriously considering playing for nations other than Aus and NZ.

Until then, we will have the same farcical situation.

Apparently that idea was touted by Gallop who mentioned thue possibility of all clubs in the NRL and ESL having a bye on one weekend dedicated to Aus Vs Nz, City Vs Country and other internationals - so hopefully that one goes through.

jim_57

Staff member
Did anyone see NRL on Fox a few weeks ago when they were talking with Mateo. What interested me was the Possible Tongan team for the WC they put up. It wasn't just something whipped together by someone in the office with reference to wikipedia it was actually what Jim Dymock was hoping for come WC.

It's a shame I can't remember it, I do know it included Mateo, Talanoa, Tuiaki, MoiMoi, Vuna, Tonga (Willie), Jennings and a lot more good players. Wille Tonga being in the side suggests to me that Esi (brother) and Charlie (cousin) will be eligable aswell.

bender

Juniors
geezz,

i don't think i'll bother because it's people like you and the likes of moimoi,mateo & tuiaki that are ruining international RL..

maybe mateo should come and play for england?

Mateo has played for Tonga in this very tournament! He has never played for Australia or any other nation ever! He was asked to play for NSW but he declined to, because he wanted to play for tonga. Yeah, you are right, if you have a problem with him playing for Tonga you probably shouldnt bother!

Moi moi is a different situation, admittedly. But the rules are quite clear if he can play for Tonga if he hasnt represented for 2 years. By 2009, that should not be a problem. He is also an interesting test case. He represented tonga in the World 7s (from my recollection) first. He never should have been allowed to play for NZ after this, so that is where the problem lies. If the RLIF is to draw a line today and say Tonga are now a test nation and will get games, surely it would be okay for him to declare for Tonga since this would be the first time they have a full time team with a proper international schedule. It would be almost like banning a South African player from playing for South Africa, because he has represented Australia even though South Africa doesnt have an international team (not exactly, but not that far off).

roughyedspud

Coach
Mateo has played for Tonga in this very tournament! He has never played for Australia or any other nation ever! He was asked to play for NSW but he declined to, because he wanted to play for tonga. Yeah, you are right, if you have a problem with him playing for Tonga you probably shouldnt bother!

Moi moi is a different situation, admittedly. But the rules are quite clear if he can play for Tonga if he hasnt represented for 2 years. By 2009, that should not be a problem. He is also an interesting test case. He represented tonga in the World 7s (from my recollection) first. He never should have been allowed to play for NZ after this, so that is where the problem lies. If the RLIF is to draw a line today and say Tonga are now a test nation and will get games, surely it would be okay for him to declare for Tonga since this would be the first time they have a full time team with a proper international schedule. It would be almost like banning a South African player from playing for South Africa, because he has represented Australia even though South Africa doesnt have an international team (not exactly, but not that far off).

did it take you 2 weeks to come up with that? cos it's gonna take me at least 2 weeks to figure out how you came up with me not wanting mateo to play for tonga?

JasonE

Bench
TONGAN coach Jim Dymock will target Manly prop Brent Kite for the end of season World Cup in Australia.

(I'm waiting for the article to come up on the Manly Daily website as it was in the paper when I read it this morning I'll edit my post when it does with the full article)

Please he played for Australia at the start of the year! This competition can't let this sh*t happen...

Brent Kite played for Tonga at the 2000 WC so i can see why Dymock is making a play for him, what i would like is for Kite to come out immediately and announce he is committed to Tonga, instead of waiting to see if he is picked for Oz.

RLIF

Juniors
The NZRL have come out and said they will not support Moi Moi and Taukai to change back to Tonga as it makes the International rugby league a joke.

I also recall Ricky Stuart saying he does not want to pick players that have played for other countries (re Mateo).

Finally we might be heading in the right direction.

roughyedspud

Coach
I also recall Ricky Stuart saying he does not want to pick players that have played for other countries (re Mateo)

not that it matters now because it's not going to happen..but ricky stuart does'nt pick or decide who plays for the kangaroos..the selectors do

The NZRL have come out and said they will not support Moi Moi and Taukai to change back to Tonga as it makes the International rugby league a joke.

pot,kettle & black springs to mind..so does the phrase "karma's a bitch" when i think of moimoi & tuiaki :lol:

Last edited:

Coastbloke

Bench
Apparently Gold Coast Titan's Conditioner Billy Johnstone will be Tonga's Pergormance Director..

He is quoted as saying that Feliti Mateo - at 104kg - will be Tonga halfback because he is their SMALLEST player....!!

RLIF

Juniors
Release unlikely for Tongan duo

NZRL boss Peter Cordtz says one-time Kiwis Fuifui Moimoi and Taniela Tuiaki are unlikely to be allowed to play for Tonga at the World Cup this year.

The two NRL stars, who have both played for Tonga in the past, switched allegiances last year and pulled on the black jersey under Kiwis coach Gary Kemble.

New coach Stephen Kearney overlooked them for selection in the recent centenary test and media reports in Australia have suggested the duo want out of the Kiwis in a bid to return to action for Tonga.

Under the international rugby league constitution, Cordtz says that would be nigh on impossible.

"There are several factors that determine whether you can represent a country," he told Sunday News.

"Either you have to be born there, your parents have to be born there or your grandparents have to be born there.

"Failing that, if you reside in the country in question for three years or more you are also eligible to play for their national side.

"A player eligible to play for more than one country can elect to play for either.

"The point at which they do so they effectively commit to that country for a period of two years or through to the end of the next World Cup."
Moimoi and Tuiaki exhausted their one opportunity to change countries under Kemble and Cordtz said he didn't expect the rules to be bent for them on account of a change of heart.

The situation raises questions about the eligibility rules and Cordtz said players changing allegiances at the drop of the hat would make the international game look silly.

"The key thing for us and I think the other countries are in agreement with us this situation with players switching nationalities shouldn't be allowed to become a circus," he said.

"The main concern is that we battle enough for credibility in our international game without the eligibility issue becoming something of a circus."

Eligibility rules under microscope

moimoituiaki.jpg

Fuifui Moimoi (L) and Taniela Tuiaki have represented the Kiwis but are now keen to play for Tonga. Photo / Greg Bowker

The international federation will review eligibility rules after this year's rugby league World Cup in an effort to clean up the image of the game.
At present it's a murky world that can only get foggier as more New Zealanders and Polynesians are born or live in Australia and there are numerous cases of players who switch allegiance seemingly at the drop of a hat.
Current international rules state that players who are eligible for more than one country can elect which one to represent for a minimum of two years or until the end of a World Cup.
But it's not always as simple as that. Taniela Tuiaki and Fuifui Moimoi, for example, both received dispensation from the international board to play for the Kiwis last year soon after representing Tonga, but are now keen to commit to Tonga for the World Cup.
A tug-of-war is also looming over Tonga's Feleti Mateo, who is being talked about as an outside chance for a place in the Kangaroos.
It's a bad look for the game and Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said eligibility was on the agenda for talks after November's World Cup.

"There was a desire from the international federation to review things after the World Cup," he said. "Those rules were framed that way so players could represent the island nations at World Cups. That's the only time those countries play.

"One major issue is whether we can provide a satisfactory rep programme for the likes of Tonga and Samoa. We will see in this World Cup they will field pretty strong NRL-quality sides but the only way those players have been able to play rep footy in the past on a regular basis is to play for Australia or New Zealand."

One suggestion has been to include a Pacific Island side in the expanded Quad Nations when it is hosted in the Southern Hemisphere but even that isn't likely to be enough to persuade players to commit to an island nation.
The NZRL are keen to see players select their country of preference earlier in their career, especially with the likelihood of more junior internationals.

Last year's Junior Kiwis and Kangaroos match (under-20 level) will be repeated in 2009 and there are talks about introducing trans-Tasman fixtures at under-16 and under-18 level. Another suggestion mooted has been to introduce an under-20 Tri-Nations.

"Logically, if we are going to have Junior Kiwis and Junior Kangaroos this problem will only increase," Carr said. "We may have to get young players to select a country earlier.

"Depending on funding, we can start to play internationals at 16s and 18s and maybe 18 is not a bad time to at least ask players what their intentions may be.

"Down the track they can change but they may have to make applications to do that. Selection is going to be a nightmare if we all pick the same kid."

This happened last year when at least three players were initially picked for both the Junior Kiwis and Kangaroos. Two decided to play for New Zealand.

The prevalence of New Zealanders playing in Australia - the NZRL estimate 80 per cent of this country's players compete across the Tasman - has seen the national body undertake an extensive search to know the exact number eligible for the Kiwis.

Most of the attention has been aimed at junior level so both the NZRL and players themselves are aware of their options.

For last year's Junior Kiwis test, for example, 14 of the 18 picked thought they were ineligible to play for New Zealand.

NZRL high performance director Tony Kemp was charged with unearthing as many Kiwi players as possible and has reported some significant findings.

When he was asked to come up with a complete list last year, Kemp struggled to get one under-20 side on his whiteboard. He now has six. And counting.

It's become easier with the introduction of the Toyota Cup but there are plenty also playing in feeder grades like the SG Ball and Harold Matthews Cups.

"It's not new [what we're doing]," Kemp said. "The Australians have had a pretty easy ride to get players to align with them. I have just thrown a spanner in the works.

"We want the international game to prosper and the only way we can do that is to be competitive and the only way we can do that is by picking our own kids.

"We've set up an extensive network of people in NSW and Queensland and word is spreading through rugby league like wildfire. A lot of people who are mentoring these kids have heard about it and contacted me to make themselves known."

Someone in Sydney independent of the NZRL has even set up a Bebo site for New Zealand-eligible players to register on.

"I have gone so far to say to people at the NZRL that if we get our A into G in five years we will be world champions," Kemp said. "At the moment we are miles away from Australia because we don't have a meaningful high-performance programme."

roughyedspud

Coach
carr is'nt on the RLIF board so should keep his opinions to himself cos he's muddying the waters with his waffle..

give the islands a proper test schedule and ban switching.....it really is that simple

NK Arsenal

Juniors
For f**ks sake.

Just let Moi Moi and Tuiaki play for Tonga and say to them that they can't switch again.