What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

so much for channel 9 melb coverage

there are no games on tonight at all and there nowhere too be seen on the tv guide apparently ireland vs england in the cricket is more exciting :(

Ice777

Bench
Besides the odd one or two, we haven't had Friday night games down here in the 9 years previous so i don't know why you were expecting it to be any different this year.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21469880-5001023,00.html

Step aside Benji
By Dean Ritchie

March 30, 2007 12:00

THE greatest swimmer in the world will tonight push Benji Marshall and other rugby league stars aside in a move by Channel 9 that will anger NRL fans.

The NRL and Nine have agreed that tonight's match between Parramatta and Wests Tigers will be played at 8pm because Nine is televising the world swimming championships in Melbourne.

Nine wants to show the match live, with kick-off now back 30 minutes from the customary 7.30pm kick-off.

Nine has bumped the league back to telecast the swimming, which will include a 100m butterfly semi-final involving US champion Michael Phelps, arguably the greatest swimmer Australia has seen.

But the decision means the second Friday night game – Brisbane versus Penrith at Suncorp Stadium – will not finish on air until 11.45pm.

Although Eels officials were reluctant to criticise Nine, club sources say the decision will cost Parramatta $100,000 in ticket sales, catering and merchandising.

A crowd of about 15,000 is expected tonight but that figure could have been higher had the match kicked off earlier.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald declined to comment on the scheduling drama while NRL chief executive David Gallop backed Nine.

"It's not ideal but it is the world swimming championships," Gallop said. "Nine is well known for its excellent coverage of sport."

Asked would the 8pm kick-off affect tonight's crowd, Gallop said: "No. I wouldn't expect it to impact too much.

"Effectively it's only 20 minutes later than normal. The games haven't been starting until 7.40pm to 7.45pm."

Nine's head of sport Steve Crawley gave reasons behind his channel's decision.

"We asked the NRL if the clubs would put kick-off back 15 minutes and the clubs agreed," Crawley said.

"People can now see Michael Phelps in action and Libby Lenton, Jodie Henry and Leisel Jones go for gold.

"In the past we have been criticised for putting events on delay. The clubs and the NRL supported our move to show the match live.

"Last year the television audience didn't get to see matches until 8.30pm. This game will still be earlier than that at 8pm."

The controversy comes as Broncos management slammed a television-driven scheduling decision which has left the premiers with less than four full days to prepare for their grand final rematch with Melbourne.

The Broncos are furious they have been scheduled to meet the Knights in Newcastle at 7pm on Sunday, April 22, before backing up against the Storm in Brisbane the following Friday.

The unusual scheduling of a Sunday night game was made to accommodate coverage of the trans-Tasman Test between Australia and New Zealand at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, April 20.

Given it will telecast only one game on the Friday night, Nine will instead show two NRL games on the Sunday.

The Eels v Bulldogs game will be shown at 4pm, the Knights and Broncos that evening.

"It came as a complete shock to us," Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen said.

"To schedule a game without any notification or consultation is a bit frustrating."

Someone remind Gallop he is the head of the NRL, not the swimming.

So probably no Friday NRL at any time for a month, until the cricket is over.

Now I love my cricket, but surely the NRL could be replayed early Saturday morning at least?

Sigh....

Ice777

Bench
I don't see it as too big a problem delaying the game for half an hour to accommodate the swimming. It's not like they aren't going to show that game and at least it'll still be live. Personally if i had the choice i'd prefer that they did it this because you get to see both the swimming and the game. I'm sure some others won't see it that way but at least you're getting the both events in the first place.

Also i'm not sure that a half hour delay will impact the Eels bottom line to the tune of $100K. It's not like it's a school/work night where it'd be more of a chance to keep people from going to the game. I'm not exactly sure how the average fan thinks up there but i'd be a bit surprised if they let a small delay put them off attending the match. But i guess we'll never know the impact it will have because we have no idea of knowing how many would've went if the game did start at 7.30pm.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Gallop should grow some balls and tell 9 nobody gives a sh*t about swimming. it has been getting a massive ratings beating all week.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Bring back John Fifita said:
From what I've seen the game doesn't actually kick of on FNF til about qtr to 8 anyway. 15 mins aint gonna kill anybody.

now it probably won't kick off till 8:15pm

the delayed match might now start after 10pm

Ice777

Bench
Bring back John Fifita said:
From what I've seen the game doesn't actually kick of on FNF til about qtr to 8 anyway. 15 mins aint gonna kill anybody.

Exactly right. I think the only people it will bother are the ones who enjoy whinging and whining for no apparent reason :cry:

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Mate, this is Melbourne...other sports are more interesting then league apparently so don't be surprised by anything because down here....despite all the stories you hear of people 'really getting into league' it'll never surpass other sporting events.

Danish

Referee
Time for another Siro said:

Step aside Benji
By Dean Ritchie

But the decision means the second Friday night game – Brisbane versus Penrith at Suncorp Stadium – will not finish on air until 11.45pm.

Anyone remember last season???

The 8:30 delayed game often didnt finish till 11:30 anyway! Its still 2 games in the place of 1 so i am not bothered.

We wont have to put up with swimming in another year or so once we have no good males anymore.

Ice777 said:
I don't see it as too big a problem delaying the game for half an hour to accommodate the swimming. It's not like they aren't going to show that game and at least it'll still be live. Personally if i had the choice i'd prefer that they did it this because you get to see both the swimming and the game. I'm sure some others won't see it that way but at least you're getting the both events in the first place.

Also i'm not sure that a half hour delay will impact the Eels bottom line to the tune of $100K. It's not like it's a school/work night where it'd be more of a chance to keep people from going to the game. I'm not exactly sure how the average fan thinks up there but i'd be a bit surprised if they let a small delay put them off attending the match. But i guess we'll never know the impact it will have because we have no idea of knowing how many would've went if the game did start at 7.30pm.

um u missed the point theres no league at all on tonight not even after 12 instead there showing england vs ireland 2 teams that arent even australian i mean i could live with them showing the aussies but this isnt the aussies its a good team vs a crap team

channel 9 melbourne have no right too do this too nrl fans no way in hell is melbourne the sporting capital of the australia :roll:

cronker

Juniors
exactly. no rugby into Adelaide either this weekend guys. They were fanfaring the FNF double headers at the opening of the season, and we've only had one Friday night of it since.

The only NRL I can see in the guide is Tuesday morning at 2am. Yay.

joel caine number 1 fan said:
um u missed the point theres no league at all on tonight not even after 12 instead there showing england vs ireland 2 teams that arent even australian i mean i could live with them showing the aussies but this isnt the aussies its a good team vs a crap team

Between the two of those teams there are at least 4 or 5 Australians playing... and a bunch of South Africans... You could almost say it's Australia v South Africa...

cumberlandsashes81 said:
Between the two of those teams there are at least 4 or 5 Australians playing... and a bunch of South Africans... You could almost say it's Australia v South Africa...

so u wanna watch cricket cause 5 aussies are playing for eng :roll: