What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So was Mellars out?? Here's what the ref thinks!

NZ Warrior

First Grade
My point exactly SM.

And no Te Kaha, I have never played the game, but I've watched a shitload of it over the many years. So I think I have some idea thanks.

Skinner

Coach
Yeah OK,

If you want to be pedantic. A player will (should) keep going until he
hears the whistle. 99.99999% of refs will blow the whistle when he sees
the flag up. Even if he misses the flag and the attacking player goes
over the try line and forces the ball, the ref will (should) check with
the both touchies before he awards it.

Skinner :roll:

AuckMel

Bench
LeagueNut said:
True AuckMel, but even if it was blatantly a fair try it couldn't have been awarded anyway. It's a bit of a catch-22.

Mate, if it's fair try, you have to give it. Otherwise we may as well not have video refs ruling on doubtful decisions.

AuckMel

Bench
Are you suggesting we scrub every try that came from a forward pass now? Using that sort of logic, they wouldn't be "fair" either.

AuckMel

Bench
Te Kaha said:
Yes. A forward pass means it shouldn't be a try, thats the rules.

So is the situation we saw on the weekend. The only difference being, the VR can't rule on forward passes.

Te Kaha

First Grade
AuckMel said:
Te Kaha said:
Yes. A forward pass means it shouldn't be a try, thats the rules.

So is the situation we saw on the weekend. The only difference being, the VR can't rule on forward passes.

We will have to disagree on this one. I played both codes for nigh on thirty years in one form or another and have pleyd literally hundres of games. In that time Touchies have made countless "bad" calls, but not once has a ref overridden a touch judge call.

If you start doing that then touchies will refuse to put there flags up where a try could be scored for fear of making a mistake and this line of "could" be scored will keep getting bigger and bigger. If a try has not been scored and there is no VR to call on then the defending team is penalised. And this will happen far more times then in a scoring play.

Having faith in your officals is the cornerstone of any sport. Take that away then you have major problems.

Latest posts