What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So which teams should be given Monday night games?

Moffo

Referee
It looks likely that every team will be given a shot but given the importance of the move i think we have a responsibility to ensure its success. So for mine, here is my review on which teams should be given Monday night (I only say this because my last memory of monday night footy was souths playing the likes of canberra and penrith in front of mediocre crowds):

- Souths: No. Family audience and would not get out on Monday nights

- Saints: No. Are a good drawing team but Kogarah and WIN are daytime venues (or should be)

- Roosters: Yes. Would get the work crowd on a Monday and could draw massively well if given the chance

- Dogs: Maybe. Not sure how our fan base would respond to Monday nights

- Parramatta: No. Family team once again and I'd probably say no. But once again, can be a good drawing team

- Gold Coast: Yes. New team, will draw no matter when they play

- Brisbane: Yes. Monday nights at Lang Park could be massive for them

- Cowboys: No. Don't need it, a lot of their fans travel long distances and Monday nights wouldn't work

- New Zealand: Probably. They need something to spark their fanbase and this could be it

- Melbourne: Yes. See above for NZ comments

- Canberra: No. Too cold and Canberra fan base is unreliable

- Tigers: Na, good drawing team potential though. Should be playing during the day primarily

- Newcastle: No, don't need it and have a huge family base

- Manly: Perhaps, Monday nights at Brookie would probably work well

- Penrith: Yep. Young folk, love the night games. Would work

- Cronulla: Yes, see above comments for Penrith

Thoughts? To be honest I think the whole planning schedule should be based around what teams draw good at what times but that is a different issue....

Cheers,
Moffo

Billy Gunn

Juniors
Gallop was talking about this on the radio the other day and said that he believed they would look at the grounds closer to CBD's to get the work crowd

Brisbane,
SFS,
GC,
Melbourne???

I would say it will be the 2nd or third match of the week - could be any gsame the way the comp is getting now but they will make sure that the higher rating teams will contest.

Billy

BuffaloRules

Coach
Unfortunately I think that you will have to spread the games around, otherwise if you put too much of the burden on a couple of teams they will start whinging...

I would like to see Melbourne really promote their Monday night games...Free tickets,competitions etc.....who knows they might go in for it!!

It was the the telegraph today that no team will get more than 3 MNF spots. I take that as all will get a turn at least once.

yakstorm

First Grade
Melbourne I think would be good. To be honest I think if the Storm can get either one of the Friday night slots or Monday night, it will go a long way to getting their crowds back up.

That said, come 2007 their new ground will almost be ready.

Eddie.

Bench
Monday Nights

Tigers - no way

* Sundays are easily our best slot with the occasional Friday Nighter.

Melbourne should possibly be a target.

Carbz

Juniors
According to the Sunday Tele no team will play more than 3 monday night games a year.

Carbz

Juniors
Thunderstruck said:
It was the the telegraph today that no team will get more than 3 MNF spots. I take that as all will get a turn at least once.

ah you beat me too it.

Moffo

Referee
what a stupid system

If Tigers like to play on sunday arvo then give them 10 of them

they'd draw the same on a sun arvo as opposed to a fri night

Razor

Coach

If no team plays more than 3 times on Monday night, then every team will play 3 times. As if any team only has 2 games on Monday night, 1 team would have to have 4.

They could all be away though.

yakstorm

First Grade
There wont be Monday night games every week though. Fox Sports just want a certain number of games 'live', so this is affected by when Warriors games are scheduled. If the Warriors can be on Sunday, then Fox can show 2 live games in a row on the Sunday, meaning they don't need the Monday night game.

OVP

Coach
Moffo said:
- Roosters: Yes. Would get the work crowd on a Monday and could draw massively well if given the chance

I remember two Monday night games i went to at the SFS in around 95 or 96. One game was against the Broncos and it was jam-packed ... i went after work and after a few drinks at the club with some work friends (who werent league fans .. one was a Saints fan so he came along too). They were instantly hooked to League by the atmosphere at the ground, even though we got there so late the only seats we could get was in the corner directly underneath the scoreboard, so we couldnt even see the replays lol. But they loved it.

So they came along to the Roosters- Manly match later in the year as well ... that too must have been over 36k at the SFS. They loved the atmosphere.

Then along came superleague, and destroyed all my hard work in trying to get people interested in league ...

Oh well but the point is this ... Monday night games, especially involving the Roosters (and we werent even a good club back then, it was Freddy's first year i think), Broncos and Manly always seem to attract big crowds.

They'd be crazy to stop these 3 teams having only 3 games on monday nights i believe.

Razor

Coach
There wont be Monday night games every week though. Fox Sports just want a certain number of games 'live', so this is affected by when Warriors games are scheduled.

No it's been confirmed that there will be Monday night every week

nqboy

First Grade
25 rounds of two teams every Monday night means 50 teams. Divided by 16 clubs means one or two clubs will have to play more than three MNF games.

yankeeboy

Juniors
I would like to see them use Telstra Stadium for the Monday night games, even if the team isn't Wests Tigers, Bulldogs, or Souths.

Especially St George, they could maybe do 5 each at WIN and Kogarah and 2 at Telstra.

I also think that they could use the Monday night games to spread the game to Adelaide, Perth, etc. I'm sure they could get a full house at Members Equity Stadium just for the novelty of a Monday night RL game.

Plus, as of now, there is no AFL on Mondays except for holidays, and those are afternoon games. Thus there would be very little competition to try to bring the game to new places.

Dogs Of War

Coach
yankeeboy said:
I also think that they could use the Monday night games to spread the game to Adelaide, Perth, etc. I'm sure they could get a full house at Members Equity Stadium just for the novelty of a Monday night RL game.

It would have to be in the school holidays when parents are looking for something to entertain the kids. Otherwise most parents would not be willing to take their kids to a game at nightime when they have school the next day.

If the game is to take in other states it has to be given every opportunity to allow for the maxium crowd to attend. Monday nights will not provide that opportunity.

Leave it to the central stadiums such as Aussie, Telstra and Lang park.

Maybe it could work in Melbourne too, no AFL in competion might entice a few more people into the ground.

LRC

They should pump out heaps fo free tix in the local area to get people along and help develop a habbit of monday night footy.
The teams will be compensated for any negative effect it could have on crowds.
I remember the roosters had to playe penrith on a monday night not too long ago..the league compensated the club and also provided buses for panthers supporters who werent known for travelling back then.
Even back in 96 when te roosters got massive crowds at a couple of monday night games, you could get free tix everywhere ..this did work in getting people into the habbit of going to league games...as was already said, then super league came along and blew it..handing the cbd crowd to the other codes.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Does anyone recall a Monday night game about nine years ago at Aussie Stadium bwt the Broncos and Roosters. I went thinking the crowd would be quite small and soon discovered the place was packed. Everyone seemed to have the same idea.

nqboy said:
25 rounds of two teams every Monday night means 50 teams. Divided by 16 clubs means one or two clubs will have to play more than three MNF games.
or we could have one or two rounds without MNF due to byes. A few weeks ago we had a round with only 6 games instead of 7 because three teams got the bye.

Latest posts