What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So who agrees with the team of the 80's

ngap

Juniors
The National Rugby League unveiled the Team of the 80s in Sydney.

Fullback duties went to Garry Jack, Queensland flyer Kerry Boustead and Parramatta great Eric Grothe were named on the wing, Mal Meninga and Brett Kenny in the centres and old State of Origin foes Wally Lewis and Peter Sterling in the halves.

In the forwards, Steve Roach and Craig Young were named in the front row, Manly hard man Noel Cleal and the controversial Les Boyd in the backrow and Parramatta legend Ray Price at lock.

The team was announced as part of an NRL promotion of the decade that ushered in State of Origin and concluded with arguably the greatest grand final in 1989 between Balmain and Canberra.

Team of the 80s: Garry Jack, Kerry Boustead, Mal Meninga, Brett Kenny, Eric Grothe, Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling, Steve Roach, Ben Elias, Craig Young, Les Boyd, Noel Cleal, Ray Price.
I can live with most of it but the second row.
When did Cleal become a hardman? Large, effective but hard?
Why condone a thug like Boyd?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The centres and five eighths were probably the hardest to pick. As well as the second rowers. Cleal had to be there.

ngap

Juniors
Agree with him being there, just the description in the article I don't think is appropriate

I would have picked anyone from there list except for Vautin (how did he get there?) instead of Boyd.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Just a question, are they or have they picked a team of the 90s. It would be interesting to see the nominations, or whos picked in the positions.

ngap

Juniors
Not that I know of. Probably too soon yet.
What decades have they picked a team for?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If they havent picked a team for the 90s heres mine:

Brasher
Wishart
Renouf
Fittler
Sailor
Daley
Langer
Lazarus
Walters
Harragon
Tallis
Sironen
Clyde

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah its a bit hard not seeing the likes of Pearce, O'Connor, Miles, Lamb not named in an 80s team.

axl rose

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
If they havent picked a team for the 90s heres mine:

Brasher
Wishart
Renouf
Fittler
Sailor
Daley
Langer
Lazarus
Walters
Harragon
Tallis
Sironen
Clyde

they picked a team of the 90's but it was a bit of a farce. They had Hancok instead if Wishart and had Lockyer ahead of the Brash.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Hancock, yeah fair enough but Wishart was better. But Lockyer, thats debatable he didnt really play much in the 90s. It was only from 1997 and 1998 he started going really well.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Funny how they've picked this team of the 80's with no Bulldogs in it.

Who won the most premierships in the 80's alongside Parramatta, and who was in the most Grand Finals as well.

1980 (p) 1984 (p) 1985 (p) 1986 (r) 1988 (p)
Grand Finalists 5 years, Premiers 4 of those, just like Parra, but have noone named in the decades best team. :roll: f**king bias NRL bullshit once again.

axl rose

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
Hancock, yeah fair enough but Wishart was better. But Lockyer, thats debatable he didnt really play much in the 90s. It was only from 1997 and 1998 he started going really well.

Hancock fair enough? you have to be kidding, he was totally outplayed by Wishart every time they came up against each other in origin and club football. Wishart also had a great Roo Tour in 94. Lockyer came good in 98 where as Brasher was a rep player for virtually the whole decade. I think they called it the News Limited Team of the 90's.

lazza

Juniors
dodge said:
Funny how they've picked this team of the 80's with no Bulldogs in it.

Who won the most premierships in the 80's alongside Parramatta, and who was in the most Grand Finals as well.

1980 (p) 1984 (p) 1985 (p) 1986 (r) 1988 (p)
Grand Finalists 5 years, Premiers 4 of those, just like Parra, but have noone named in the decades best team. :roll: f***ing bias NRL bullsh*t once again.

just remember... a champion team always beats a team of champions :p

iggy plop

First Grade
How Gene Miles didn't make it is beyond me.

He should've been in the second row for either Cleal or Boyd, even though he was more of a centre.

I reckon Miles was better than Meninga in the 80's.

Latest posts