What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So who agrees with the team of the 80's

lazza said:
dodge said:
Funny how they've picked this team of the 80's with no Bulldogs in it.

Who won the most premierships in the 80's alongside Parramatta, and who was in the most Grand Finals as well.

1980 (p) 1984 (p) 1985 (p) 1986 (r) 1988 (p)
Grand Finalists 5 years, Premiers 4 of those, just like Parra, but have noone named in the decades best team. :roll: f***ing bias NRL bullsh*t once again.

just remember... a champion team always beats a team of champions :p

yet it was a Roosters Coaching offical now that made the bulldogs win in 1988

Pigskin

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
The centres and five eighths were probably the hardest to pick. As well as the second rowers. Cleal had to be there.

errrr no - the five-eighth was the biggest lay down certainty of any "best of" team ever picked

what a joke of a team - should be riddled with Queenslanders as it was a decade of complete and utter domination

if I wasn't in Olympic mode and about to go to bed, I would bother ridiculing the side selected in greater detail

Oink !

tiger_nick

Bench
Briza said:
Benny Elias - lolol
What about captain of the invincibles Max Krillich ?

What the Max Krillich who played about 3 years in the 80s?? Benny played from 1982 right through

nqboy

First Grade
I enjoyed Lozza's (and I hate Lozza as a commentator) interview with Boyd on Nrl on Fox, Boyd came across as a real good bloke. Guess nospam29 must have caused all those suspensions.

Other random thoughts, in no particular order. No debate about 5/8, Miles was a better centre than Big Mal. Crusher? You're kidding, right? Good bloke, hard runner, but tackling is part of the game as well. Fat Albert? I'll always remember as line the Wok used when a young Steve Roach said Craig Young was one of his idols - "Yeah, there weren't too many more idle than Young!" :lol: :lol:

Benny's a standout as best hooker even though we hated him up here like you guys hated Hancock. Jack probably just shades Belcher for mine, much better in defence though Belcher was better in attack. Cronin might make the 70's team but was upstaged by the twin towers from Qld when Origin started. Great player no doubt, but plenty of great players will miss out in any of these sides. Pearce should have gone close and Lindner was always my preference to any of the backrowers you guys would trot out in Origin. O'Connor and ET must have gone desperately close on the wings.

Point taken about Canterbury but the only one I would consider would be Steve Mortimer and he was shaded by Sterlo.

JJ

Immortal
iggy plop said:
How Gene Miles didn't make it is beyond me.

He should've been in the second row for either Cleal or Boyd, even though he was more of a centre.

I reckon Miles was better than Meninga in the 80's.

You're right - Miles was better than Meninga in the 80's and should replace him in that side at centre.

Cleal was the best 2nd rower of the 80's no question really. But Boyd - gimme a break - talented yes, but a disgrace to name him in a team like this. There were a few others - Pearce, Folkes,Reddy, Niebling etc. Off the top of my head, Wayne Pearce would probably get the nod

The Colonel

Immortal
GoTheBears said:
I dont see how pearce missed out...

He was considered at lock. Price won 7 Dally M awards in the same position, four grand finals wins and appeared in the finals for seven years straight. You do the math.... ;-)

bazza

Immortal
I think it is fair enough exept for Les Boyd.
He may have been a good player - though probably more well known for his suspensions - but he would have only played till about 83 - and not that many games.

Sirro, McGahan, Graham or Pearce should have been in ahead of him

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Lockyer was great in the late 90's, but over the entire 90's you have to look at the bigger picture so I would say (even though I'm a huge fan) he wasn't fullback of the 90's.

No matter what players make each team, there will always be another player in a certain position with a fair case as to why they should have made it instead. That is why there won't ever be a true 'team of the 80's' or 'team of the 90's.'

Fibroman

First Grade
Boyd shouldn't have been there. He was 2nd only to Olsen Philopana for the fattest arse of the 80's. I think Clint Newton might have been watching some old footage of Boyd before his shot on Simms the other night. :shock:

mightybears

Bench
kenny if he couldn't make no.6, shouldn't be in the centres, what a joke
o'connor maybe, et
boyd stopped playing in sydney in 85?, not a good choice

Anonymous

Juniors
Well wasn't watching footy back in the 80's (wasn't even alive).

Even though I can agree Lockyer shouldn't of been named in the team of the 90's.

Maybe the 00's but not the 90's.

Brasher all the way.

The Colonel

Immortal
mightybears said:
kenny if he couldn't make no.6, shouldn't be in the centres, what a joke
o'connor maybe, et
boyd stopped playing in sydney in 85?, not a good choice

You grew up in the 90's right. :roll: Kenny and Ella alternated between centre and 5/8 for much of the time they were together. Kenny forced Lewis out of the Test side in 1982. Lewis should have been moved to lock to accomodate Kenny as opposed to the other way about.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
axl rose said:
PARRA_FAN said:
Hancock, yeah fair enough but Wishart was better. .

Hancock fair enough? you have to be kidding, he was totally outplayed by Wishart every time they came up against each other in origin and club football. .

Thats what I said, Hancock was good on occassions, but Wishart was incredible, not only kicked goals but got involved in the play and had some pace.

Latest posts