What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So with 8 rounds to go who are the pretenders/contenders?

Red Bear

Referee
Not completely convinced by manly's front row forwards, bu they have the best backline in the comp and a very solid back row/hooker.

think the winner will come from the current top 6. Melbourne could obviously fire, but it doesn't look like they will his year. Broncos are shite and Parra/Tigers are a year off competing I think.

I do think he Cowboys are dangerous but they're flat out making the 8, let alone competing beyond that.

Sleep

Juniors
Manly have the best halves in the comp and it's not even close. Add to that Matt Ballin who has all the experience needed and is a very underrated hooker. When Brett Stewart is healthy he's still a great full back.

If they're healthy I'm betting on them come the finals.

ek999

First Grade
Manly would be heavy favourites about now. At full strength they're the best team in the comp.

Roosters look like they don't give a f this year and Souths have never really fired. Panthers are playing well but are in the midst of an injury crisis that could hurt their run in. Canterbury still lack creativity in the halves and have a weak spine.

Melbourne have had a bad run of injuries this year but once the finals roll around should be able to make some noise. Warriors are too hot and cold and are their own worst enemy at times.

Outside of that I'm not expecting much from anyone. Parramatta looked good at one point but are still a young team with more holes than not. Still a lot of work to be done. Cowboys have a good pack but outside of JT have absolutely zero in the spine and the backs are fairly thin too.

Dragons, Sharks, Knights, Titans, Tigers and anyone else I've forgotten are all trash.

Agree but the Bulldogs are starting to add more and more tricks and plays to overcome this, especially Kasiano, Eastwood and T-Rex. It looks like Des has given the side more freedom with the ball as long as they keep the mistakes down.

I wouldn't call any team in the top 8 a pretender as this is the closest comp in years.

Manly still look like the team to beat with B. Stewart, Foran and Cherry-Evans in brilliant form and an underrated forward pack

Bulldogs have proven how good they are in the tight contests with them winning 6 matches by 4 points or less.

Panthers are copping criticism for their supposedly easy draw, but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Souths have been average for most of the season and are yet to play their best football. However despite this they find themselves sitting in 4th position with the best for and against differential.

Roosters season has been very similar to Souths.

When the Warriors are on their game they can beat any team in the comp. I can't think of a team that would have beaten them with the form they displayed against the Eels.

The Storm with Smith, Cronk and Slater can never be underestimated,

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Just a friendly reminder that the views of broncos2010 are entirely his own and are very likely not shared by the Broncos LU community at large.

It's a close comp this year. Manly and Doggies looking strong. I'm happy to see my team up there. I don't get the term "Pretenders", you just play what's in front of you with the players you have available. We'll see what happens soon enough, no need to bag other teams and call it a prediction. Injuries always play a part.

Blues Riff.....nice little nod to Johnny Winter, well done

GongPanther

Referee
Just a friendly reminder that the views of broncos2010 are entirely his own and are very likely not shared by the Broncos LU community at large.

Luckily for broncos2010,this site does not have a "ignore button" or he would be the world's loneliness soul.

maple_69

Bench
Contenders are Manly and Roosters
I don't think South's, Penrith, Warriors and Dogs will be able to get through 4 weeks of finals. No reason they couldn't play some good footy and knock off Easts/Manly.

BranVan3000

Coach
Manly and Bulldogs are the real contenders right now. And then there are about 8 teams below them mixing it up.

But we are in the home stretch, things should look different by the finals. Or so you'd hope.

isaiah

Bench
grand finalists will come from souths, broncs, warriors, and cowboys. they are the form teams right now, imo. biggest pretenders have been the eels, 12th is about right for them. even with their soft run home, they might only go past the dragons.

The Pip

Juniors
grand finalists will come from souths, broncs, warriors, and cowboys. they are the form teams right now, imo. biggest pretenders have been the eels, 12th is about right for them. even with their soft run home, they might only go past the dragons.

So you can pick the grand finalists based on their July form? Wow, that's a skill... so the Warriors and Cowboys will win a semi or two in Sydney will they?:crazy: I reckon Manly and the Chooks might throw a spanner in your works come September.

Jason Maher

Immortal

Top lel. What is this form you speak of from the donkeys and the cows?

beave

Coach
Did you not see the sublime form of the boys from the north last night??? They showed all and sundry they are def up to it this year.

We got dis!

Unless its a post game video session ......

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Pretenders: Warriors

You'll cope some shit for that later if tonights game doesn't go your way... :p.

Pretty hard to deny that the Roosters and Sea Eagles are the real deal. Somewhat on the fence about the Panthers, Bulldogs, Rabbits and Warriors in terms of if they can go all of the way. Broncos and Storm will likely be the ones to make up the numbers in the 8, don't rate the rest of them to make the cut.

Fazz_138

Juniors
I'm a Warriors fan, but I'd have to say that as good as the team is looking, unless we obliterate a disrupted Brisbane tonight and beat/match it with Manly next week, we're pretenders.

Latest posts