What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Socceroos the Hits and misses?

PB

Bench
Ok, no more whinging about decisions, officials, opposition etc Lets focus on the Socceroos and assess their performance.

What do you all think, Who were hits and misses?

Schwarzer: He got us there. Proved he is our best keeper in the last game with some crucial stops. Hit
Kalac: Is obviously better than what he displayed against Croatia, but will no doubt be disappointed with his only game in the WC finals. Miss
Popovic: Just the 20 minutes, will be sad it wasn't more. Miss
Moore: This guy was outstanding. Quiet in the first game, but built and built and played with experience and class. Hit
Neill: Our best of the WC. I think most agree, he was solid, composed and hopefully when his career finishes he will captain Australia and he will be remembered for things other than the last penalty. Hit
Grella: Grella is one of those players you notice more when you watch a game a second time around. He got the job done marking some world class opponents. Pass
Chipperfield: Hustle and two way run, brilliant, let down by his touch on occasion. In many ways typified the Australian way. Pass
Wilkshire: Copped some stick after the Japan game, but against Italy his defence was excellent. Probably responsible on almost half of the occasions we lost control of the ball but certainly played above his ability against Italy. Miss
Emerton: Not in career best form coming into the tournament but played ok. You would probably give him a pass mark. Pass
Sterjovksi: Probably a pass mark. worked, hard looked reasonable with ball at feet, but crosses were only so so and i don't think he took a shot in 4 games. Miss
Culina: I thought looked much better playing slightly wider v Italy. Another who had a go, but lacked that special quality. Will be crucial to our campaign in 4 years time. Pass
Bresciano: May be harsh, but would have to say he was disappointing. For a player of his talent, he didn't create enough, or work hard enough off the ball. Didn't seem to be able to strike up an understanding with Viduka. Miss
Kewell: He was never 100%, but hopefully put to rest the crap that has been written about him through out the years about his desire to play for Australia. You could see he was giving his all, but could also see the frustration in him that he knew his all wasn't the same as his best. Pass
Cahill: Came to life v Japan and will be the pin up boy for Aussie soccer for the next 4 years and beyond. Amazing impact v Japan, brilliant two way run and worked both ends of the field v Croatia , v Italy probably got carried away and lost focus. Hit
Kennedy: didn't get to see much of him, but looks like one to watch going forward. Would expect him to be playing in a better league in the not to distant future. Hit
Aloisi: Would like to have seen him get more game time, Always tries, and knows how to finish. Hit
Viduka: His performance will probably be the one most argued by pundents. On one side he didn't have enough shots on goal, on the other, he held the ball up brilliantly, particularly v Japan and Italy, but never got the support from his team mates. Pass

James_Hardie

Juniors
Bresciano was the biggest disapointment for me.

I thought he would step up, but he didn't seem to trouble the defence of any team much at all.

But all in all I am proud of them all for the way they played.

woodgers

Bench
Viduka was superb all tournament. He worked his backside off in all games and played up front on his own against 4 defenders on most occasions. Add to that the officials protect the defenders and keeper in any 50/50 and he was up against it. He led from the front and since Hiddink has been in charge his role is not really to make chances for himself but make diagonal runs across the box taking defenders with him to create space for Cahill, Kewell, Bresciano and others in behind, that is Australia's strength.

Anyone saying Viduka wasn't good has never played a competitive game up front. They certainly haven't played as a lone striker thats for sure.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
James_Hardie said:
Bresciano was the biggest disapointment for me.

I thought he would step up, but he didn't seem to trouble the defence of any team much at all.

But all in all I am proud of them all for the way they played.

Same here all he did all tournament was shoot from outside the box everytime he got the ball.:?

Anyway Cahill, Neil, Grella, Emerton and Moore were all standouts IMO.

borat

Bench
Your assessments fo Grella, Cullina & Emmerton are miles off the mark. How do you propose that players like Ronaldinho, Kaka, Del Piero, Pierlo, Nakamura were kept so quiet against us. Its not down to Moore & Neil. Grella was absolutely outsanding, his defence against Ronaldinho was beyond wildest expectations. Emmerton was a sensation, his game against Japan was 50-50 but the 2 others he was close to our best player. I will go as far as to say that without the running and totally dominant defensive work that these 3 did we would have struggled to get a point.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I'd have to agree with that.

For mine Neill and Grella were our standouts. They were absolutely outstanding. Neill showed that he can match it with the best of them and certainly deserves a better cliub than Blackburn. I hear there is interest from Barcelona. Would not look out of place in their shirt.

Grella was outstanding, his passing has really improved and his defence and tracking back was superb. The most underrated player in our team for sure.

the new coach of the Socceroos will have to develop virtually a new squad for the qualifiers as many of the players will be past it by then with some already contemplating retirement already- good luck to this person as they will need lots of it. Hiddink is smart he knows this which is why he moved on as the sleeping giant Soviet RUSSIAN fOOTBALL Will be awoken and will dominate the 2010 world cup and win it.

he wants to win a world cup simple as that not struggle to even qualify if he stayed with the socceroos

borat

Bench
I think you have to be realistic and say that we made the rd of 16 because 95% of the team absolutely played out of their skin. I could name only 2 to 3 players who I thought were mildly disappointing, the rest were phenominal. Infact, and i don't say this lightly, it is the best socceroos team I have ever seen and arguablyt the best of all time.

domdom

Juniors
totally agree. the whole team stepped up a level. even wilkshire, who i thought was crap. no doubt it is the best socceroos team to walk the earth. without hiddink, i'm not too sure which coach could step up to the plate and manage this process successfully. look at korea post hiddink. they had mostly the same team, but advocat could not get the team firing on all cylinders like big guus.

we do have a decent core of the team that can stay on for the next cup, and we have some decent keepers coming through the system as well.

we are certainly in a better position than our main rivals in asia. both japan and korea are going to have to rebuild as well.

PB

Bench
borat said:
Your assessments fo Grella, Cullina & Emmerton are miles off the mark. How do you propose that players like Ronaldinho, Kaka, Del Piero, Pierlo, Nakamura were kept so quiet against us. Its not down to Moore & Neil. Grella was absolutely outsanding, his defence against Ronaldinho was beyond wildest expectations. Emmerton was a sensation, his game against Japan was 50-50 but the 2 others he was close to our best player. I will go as far as to say that without the running and totally dominant defensive work that these 3 did we would have struggled to get a point.

The defensive element of Emerton's game was great, but he also had a role offensively. I don't think he delievered in that regard. I thought on a whole the crosses that were delievered from all of our wide and deep players hurt us a bit.

I don't want to be negative, because it was a great team effort, but thats my view.

Munky

Coach
Did anyone else notice the team lift when Neill stormed out of the backline with the ball at his feet?

One of the best chance came vs Italy when he went screaming up the pitch at pace.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Hits:
Neill
Cahill
Chipperfield
Grella
Kewell
Kennedy (what limited time he got)

Misses:
Sterjovski
Wilkshire
Viduka (sorry)
Kalac

chili pepper

Bench
borat said:

Pretty close to the mark. Neill WAS the best against everyone but Emmerton did play extremely well against Brazil & Croatia