What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solutions For Sleeping Problems...

Amadaca

Juniors
Lately I've noticed my sleeping patterns (always bad) have grown worse. I never seem to need much sleep, but I would like more just because I find sleep very relaxing for my mind (sometimes when I'm awake, I feel mentally exhausted for no reason at all). Recently I've been seeing a woman & this has made sleep harder still.

Anyone have sleeping strategies?

Amadaca

Juniors
So I'm going home early from work today on account of headaches & dizziness I think are attributable to never sleeping anymore.

I'm very scared of sleeping pills (pills in general), but I am now seriously considering a prescription. Anyone have experience?

Oh & nice to see a Mod set a great example by acting as poorly as some of this places worst members. Truly encouraging.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Have a few copies of test cricket matches lying around, put them on, and presto, within 30mins I am asleep.

Amadaca

Juniors
Exercise...

I do quite a lot. Regrettably does not seem to help :(

It has become even worse lately with a new woman in my life because while she sleeps I have to lie there for hours on end not moving. Sometimes I end up on here to pass the time. At least when I'm alone I can do whatever.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I suppose you need to explain a few things. What do you do with your time before you go to bed? Just the hour before really.

Do you not sleep cause your mind is thinking about things a lot?

Amadaca

Juniors
I suppose you need to explain a few things. What do you do with your time before you go to bed? Just the hour before really.

Do you not sleep cause your mind is thinking about things a lot?

If I'm alone, reading, watching TV or DVD's, being drunk (but not blind) if its a weekend, occasionally night exercise, or the odd binge eating session.

I have never been much of a sleeper, but lately I am sleeping like 1-3 hrs max. Sometimes I come into work on no sleeo at all. I hate the idea of sleeping pills but I'm considering it. I do think about things a lot but as you can probably tell from my threads I'm always thinking & turning things over in my head at all times.

Anyone use any shut eye techniques?

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Sleeping pills won't give you the type of sleep I suspect you need. Plus it's not a long term solution, just a short term one.

I would probably suggest spending some time clearing your head before you go to bed. Either listening to some light music, or trying things such as focusing on a sound for as long as you can so you stop thinking, everytime your mind starts thinking, stop it and focus on a sound again.

Until you can turn that thinking off, you will struggle to sleep. Maybe start a diary so you can write down what you are thinking about, and review that diary once a week (BTW Don't do this just before you go to bed, as it will make it worse!). It will then help you sort your thoughts, rather than continue to overthink your problems, which is probably what you are doing. Once they are written down, it's much easier to understand them. You only need to put 10mins a day into it, and you will be suprised how fast it makes a difference. You don't need a proper diary, just get an exercise book and date it. Do make time to read it once a week so you understand how your thoughts have progressed.

EDIT: Also try and get one in with the missus! That always helps me sleep.

Last edited:

Amadaca

Juniors
Sleeping pills won't give you the type of sleep I suspect you need. Plus it's not a long term solution, just a short term one.

I would probably suggest spending some time clearing your head before you go to bed. Either listening to some light music, or trying things such as focusing on a sound for as long as you can so you stop thinking, everytime your mind starts thinking, stop it and focus on a sound again.

Until you can turn that thinking off, you will struggle to sleep. Maybe start a diary so you can write down what you are thinking about, and review that diary once a week (BTW Don't do this just before you go to bed, as it will make it worse!). It will then help you sort your thoughts, rather than continue to overthink your problems, which is probably what you are doing. Once they are written down, it's much easier to understand them. You only need to put 10mins a day into it, and you will be suprised how fast it makes a difference. You don't need a proper diary, just get an exercise book and date it. Do make time to read it once a week so you understand how your thoughts have progressed.

EDIT: Also try and get one in with the missus! That always helps me sleep.

Thanks for this. I am going to give these suggestions a shot!

The new girl is sadly too uptight to give me much of a restful sleep, unfortunately, but she makes up for it in other ways.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Best thing I've found for sleep is physical exercise. I work long hours in a manual occupation and I sleep like a baby on weeknights, same deal if I get some decent excercise in during the day (though not too late in the evening). When I was a lazy office worker I had all orts of sleep issues due to my brain being stressed and my body not being sufficiently tired out.

Latest posts