What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some help please with some players

damo72

Juniors
Not having access to watching the ESL I would dearly love some help in compiling some lists of players running around in the competition. As I am in the early stages of creating a game for my website I would like it to include players from this comp. What I am after are full names of good players from there as well as what position they play and which ones are good goal kickers. Feel free to include any ex Aussies or Kiwis but I would also like alot of your thoughts on good English up and coming and current talent. Hope to get quite a few responses and all help is much appreciated.

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Well, on my judge on the English talent here are a few I would include in your game.

Leeds Rhinos; stand off Danny McGuire, Scrum Half Rob Burrow, hooker Matt Diskin, Mark Calderwood on the Wing, full back Richard Mathers,
website www.leedsrugby.com click Rhinos

Bradford Bulls ; Fullback Stuart Reardon, Right Centre Matt Cook, Left Wing Karl Pryce, Stand off Chris Bridge, hooker Aaron Smith, prop Vinny Myler,Stuart Fielden and Rob Parker, second row Jamie Peacock, Loose foward Jamie Langley.

Hull FC; Utilty Back Ricchard Horne, Front Row Paul King, Winger/Full back Richie Barnett Jnr, Full back Shaun Briscoe, scrum half Peter Lupton

Wigan Warriors; Centre Martin Aspinwall, Loose Foward Danny Tickle, Scrum Half Luke Robinson, Stand Off Shaun O'Laughlin, prop foward Danny Sculthorpe

St Helens; Lee Gilmour, Mike Bennett, Jon Wilkin, James Graham,

These are some of the up coming stars and a few what have been around a couple of years but have alot ahead of them, I could think of plenty more, but there all British champ.

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
Goal kickers
Andy Farrell - Wigan
Paul Deacon - Bradford
Lee Briers - Warrington
Sean Long - St.Helens
Kevin Sinfield - Leeds
Wayne Godwin - Castleford
Paul Cooke - Hull
Paul March - Huddersfield
Jamie Rooney - Wakefield
Chris Charles - Salford
Jules O'Neill - Widnes
Paul Sykes - London (?)

Full backs
Young Richie Mathers from Leeds has been in very impressive form this year and is battling it out for the GB number 1 shirt with Kris Radlinski and Paul Wellens, who is back to his best after a poor, injury riddled 2003 season. Mathers looks the part and I can really see him becoming the first choice GB full back over the next year or so.

Shaun Briscoe has also been in great form for Hull, scoring a shed load of tries, including 4 against Bradford. Paul Reilly of Hudds has also been playing well. A really tough bloke for his size who takes on the line at full pelt.

Wingers
Brian Carney was cementing his GB number 5 jersey until he picked up a badly broken ankle. Not sure when he'll be back. Quality winger. His team mate at Wigan, Brett Dallas, has been in superb form and looks back to his best. Has speed to burn.

Tevita Vaikona and Lesley Vainakolo are 2 blockbusting wingers for Bradford who help out the forwards and are very familiar with the try line. Vaikona is currently out with a long term knee injury.

Hull's Colin Best always poses a threat to opposing teams with his power, creativity, knack for a try and the speed he has in abundance.

Young Nicky Royle of Widnes is one to watch. Has crossed the try line a few times in his first season in SL and is one of the fastest players around.

Centres
St.Helens pair, Martin Gleeson and Willie Talau have been the in form centre partnership so far. Gleeson has bulked up and is playing out of his skin after a disappointing 2003. I'd expect him to grab one of the centre spots for GB if he's vailable for selection (has betting allegations hanging over his head along with Sean Long. The outcome will be announced later this month).

Gareth Ellis, Wakefield's captain, is a very exciting prospect. Capped for GB against NZ A last year and a real shining star of SL. Has also played back row and stand off (or 5/8 as you Aussies call it) in a season where he has put in a number of man of the match displays.

Keith Senior of Leeds is a world class centre with lots of power and speed. Impressed me a lot in the Ashes last year.

Paul Johnson is finding some of his form of old at Bradford, following his move from Wigan. At Wigan, young Martin Aspinwall continues to impress. Lots of speed and skill. His centre partner, Kevin Brown has also been impressive despite his natural position being at stand off. Still only 19 years of age, Brown looks set to challenge for international honours in the future.

Stand offs
The man of the moment - Danny McGuire. After a couple of seasons of impressing as a super sub, he has really made the stand off position at Leeds his. Playing the rugby of his life with many calling for him to be GB's number 6 in the tri nations. Hard to argue with on current form. Hopefully, he can keep it going till the end of the year.

Lee Briers of Warrington has showed flashes of brilliance this year with man of the match displays against Bradford and Salford. Was in top form last year before a wrist injury ruled him out for the season in July. The Wolves skipper looked overweight and unfit early on this season and has been a bit inconsistent this year. Mainly due to the fact he's playing with broken fingers/bone in his hand. He'll be hoping for a bit more luck with injuries so he can regain fitness and show more consistency. Another contender for the GB number 6 jersey if he can string some good performance together.

Jamie Rooney (Wakefield) was looknig very impressive indeed before he was cruelled with a broken ankle in the Cas-Wakey derby. A good goal kicker and has adapted to SL extremely well since his move from Featherstone. Will be hoping to pick up from where he left off earlier this season and last season. Has a lot of work to do to be considered for international honours but is an under-rated youngster with a lot of skill.

Jason Hooper had an inconsistent and by his own admission, disappointing 2003, where he struggled to find his feet. Played all over the park (centre, 2nd row, hooker, stand off, loose forward, even wing!) and never settled into a position. This year, he has been moved to stand off on a more pernament basis and has become a huge fans favourite on the terraces. Offers solidity in defence in the cnetre of the park.

In a side that's been playing very poorly, Jules O'Neill has stood out. Has lots of ability and Widnes really need him to stay fit.

Brandon Costin has made himself an absolutely vital cog in the Huddersfield team and is key to their hopes of a play off spot, along with Stanley Gene.

Paul Cooke has been playing well at stand off as well, despite seeing loose forward as his favoured position. Has matured into a fine player.

Scrum halves
Sean Long (St.Helens) has been playing some of the best rugby of his life, paicking up MOTM awards in the Challenge Cup semi-final and final. Has been under a lot of pressure with the media and opposing fans calling for his head over betting allegations but has done his talking on the field. A challenger for the GB number 7 spot.

Richard Horne of Hull. Hard to believe he's still 21. Made his SL debut at 16 and looked very special. Can also play stand off but has been at scrum half this year. Dangerous in attack and awesome in defence, this guy really has made an impression on me. IMO, he has to be a starter in the GB team (whether at stand off or scrum half) and I rate him as the most rounded British half back.

Paul Deacon (Bradford). Has a good boot on him. Has been accused of not taking on the line enough in the pass but has introduced this into his game. A goodtactician, distributor of the ball and he has a very good kicking game - both lnog and short. Another challenger for the number 7 spot.

In his final season, Adrian Lam has just come back from a knee reconstruction. Despite the critics being on his back, he always looks a threat and despite having only a few games under his belt since his injury, he took St.Helens apart last weekend. Will get better and better as the season progresses.

One for the future - Luke Robinson. Currently on loan at Castleford.

Props
A number of young forwards who could be challenging for rep honours in the future are coming through. They include Keith Mason (St.Helens), Ryan Bailey (Leeds), Danny Sculthorpe (Wigan), Darryl Griffin (Wakefield), Andy Lynch (Castleford), Andy Coley (Salford) and Paul Wood (Warrington), Nick Fozzard (St.Helens) and Chris Feather

Also in good form is Michael Korkidas (Wakefield). Gareth Carvell was playing well for Hull but has been ruled out with a season long injury.

Stuart Fielden is the number 1 British prop still. With Paul King of Hull certainly warranting a place in the tri-nations with some wonderful performance that have laid down the platform for Hull's good run of form.

One for the future - teenage prop James Graham (St.Helens)

Hookers
Terry Newton and Keiron Cunningham continue to battle it out for the GB number 9 jersey. Cunningham is showing some red hot form after a poor 2003 whilst Newton has been leading from the front at Wigan. Not much between them.

Elsewhere, goal kicking hooker, Wayne Godwin, has been a shining light in what has been a woeful start to the season for Cas. The young number 9 has been trying his heart out for the cause.

Malcolm Alker continues to impress me with some inspirational performances. The twice hitman of the year shows guts and determination on the field that few can match. Including putting in a wonderful 80 minute display just 2 weeks after an emergency operation to take his appendix out. The Salford skipper is one of the most under rated players around.

Matt Diskin has played his part in a emphatic start to the season for Leeds, as has Richard Swain for Hull.

2nd rowers
Andy Farrell (Wigan) has been a revelation since moving there and I hope to see him playing at 2nd row for GB come tri nations time. Lee Gilmour (St.Helens) has also staked a claim for a starting spot. The speedy 2nd row is back to his best since moving from Bradford. He'll have a job to get past the reigning man of steel, Jamie Peacock (Bradford) though.

Loose forwards
St.Helens captain, Paul Sculthorpe looks set to wear the 13 for GB this year. Challenging him is Leeds skipper, Kevin Sinfield. Ryan Hudson has had a disappointing season by all account for Castleford but the England A international has shown that on his day, he is a player blessed with a lot of ability. I also rate England A captain, Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan). I used to think he was over rated but he's changed my mind. Has also played centre, 2nd row and stand off, and has a very bright future ahead of him.

damo72

Juniors
Thanks guys for that, few other points that you may be able to check up on that are circulating out here
Willie Talau is going to head back to the NRL with Parramatta
Matt Adamson to Penrith
Brett Dallas back to the NRL possibly with NQ
Shaun McRae to coach New Zealand Warriors

not sure if any are true as we are in that time of the season when the anti tampering time is about to end so there is speculation everywhere, one I do know of is that Brad Drew is heading over there, the club escapes me right now but he has been released by Canberra to go there at the end of our season. If you hear any over there could you please let me know that aswell. Yet again thanks for those players and if anyone else springs to mind if you could let me know them too. Thanks very much

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
Yeah, he's signed a 2 year contract with Huddersfield Giants.

Willie Talau - that one's doubtful. He's only just into his contract. He's a big hit with the Saints fans and he's really enjoying himself. Picked up a Challenge Cup medal last month and will be looking for more. Unless he's got a clause in his contract, i can't see Saints letting him go.

Matt Adamson - there could be an element of truth in this one, I guess. Leeds have signed Lauititi and if they want to get Harris back, they'll need to free up some space on the salary cap I'd imagine. I don't think he'd be a good signing for Penrith though. Gualavou (sp?) and Puletua are much better players.

Brett Dallas - Rumours were about that he was heading back down under (with Crounlla Sharks to reunite with Raper was the last one). But he's currently in talks with Wigan. Depends how talks go. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he returned to the NRL.

Shaun McRea - He's stated he's happy with Hull and he seems well settled over here. Depends if Hull want to keep him or not and I'd imagine they would. It'd be a bit of a challenge for him though and mighty tempting.

damo72

Juniors
Apparently Penrith have shown interest in him as Galuvao and Puletua only play about 50 minutes each and one of their bench players Frank Pritchard who is a Kiwi international has reportebly signed with Parramatta, by the way does any club over there want Brian Smith :D

DrewBeliever

Juniors
No thankyou, Bradford sent him off to you, we don't want him back, unless McRea goes to the Bunnies, they'll have him, or Cas Tigers get rid of Mercer and Hanley partnership.

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
damo72 said:
Apparently Penrith have shown interest in him as Galuvao and Puletua only play about 50 minutes each and one of their bench players Frank Pritchard who is a Kiwi international has reportebly signed with Parramatta, by the way does any club over there want Brian Smith :D
Ahhh fair enough.

:lol: No thanks on the Smithy offer. Hope things improve for you Eels...and Thorman can nail down a starting spot (and not at hooker!) :D

RainMan

Juniors
Paul-The-Cowboy

Have you heard anything about Stu Fielden and him possibly coming to the NRL with Manly?[-o<

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
Yes, I have heard that one. I think Bryan Fletcher/Luke Ricketson was mentioned to be coming to Bradford with Fielden going to Manly. The Bradford fans will probably be able to tell us more on the credibility of this rumour. I would say it's a possibility. Not sure when his contract runs out. It'd probably require a fee. (With perhaps the cash going towards paying Leeds compensation in order to land Harris?)

I hope it is true. Stu is a world class prop and will improve even more by testing himself in Aus. I'd like to see a few more Brits running around in the NRL.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
RainMan said:
Paul-The-Cowboy

Have you heard anything about Stu Fielden and him possibly coming to the NRL with Manly?[-o&lt, post: [/quote"]

There are rumours about just about everyone of the Bradford players at the moment. There is a lot of talk about a divided dressing room with several 'clicks' of players who don't cooperate. Probably rubbish, but I've heard that Pryce, Fielden AND Peacock want out.

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Wow, where do you get your gossip from Fairleigh Good! ?

Not heard anything about Peacock wanting out, and I daubt Pryce would want out considering where still a top team, even though where in a bit of a slump.

And I've heard so much new's about Fielden either going to Manly or Canberra.
But still, a fee would have to be paid out, due to Fielden contracted till the end of 2007's season.

damo72

Juniors
I hear Jason Smith looks likely to head to the Raiders too, how has his form been of late in the ESL??

Latest posts