What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SONNY-BILL WILLIAMS

Kiwi

First Grade
SBW is good, not as good as the hype, but still good.

Injuries will dictate how SBW is seen in 10 years time. The fact he is in only his second year and broken down twice, three times if you count hurting his shoulder 3 weeks from the GF which he played through.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Is he overated- Probally not! But the way Phil Gould talks of him it does make you wonder! There are still second rowers that are on par with him like Hindmarsh, Morley, Fitzgibbon, etc!

He is definately over-hyped but if it makes more people watch rugby league then fine! :clap:

Big Mick

Referee
slava said:
aenima1 said:
other better 2nd rowers slava? name 2 2nd rowers apart from hindmarsh that's better than him?!?!

ok then, Craig Fitzgibbon, Steve Simpson, Nathan Cayless and probably Ruben Wiki.

you are clearly just baiting bulldogs supporters.

Because if your not, you seriously need to watch more footy and get your act together.

Darth Bobo

Quite simply he is the best NINETEEN YEAR OLD footballer I have ever seen.

Your comparing players in thier late mid to late 20's with 100's of first grade games under thier belt, who are at the peak of thier careers to a NINETEEN YEAR OLD kid and the kid doesnt out of place and you think he is overrated?!?

Compare SBW to other players with less than 20 games to thier names and tell me he is overrated.

Darth Bobo

I guess it a case of forwards vs backs when it comes to SBW and Hunt.

2 completely different positions and different styles of play. I can't bag Hunt because is he another awesome talent.

Can't help but wonder if Hunt was at a Sydney club and SBW was at the Broncos would Hunt be the one that comes under fire from slava and others for being overrated because the Sydney press and Ch9 focus on Hunt? If Benji stayed healthy and got the focus would he be the overrated one?

You can't stop what people write about you, most of the stuff you read and hear is written about him, I am yet to hear or read about him saying that "I am the next big thing" "I am the best 2nd rower in the world", most of the stories on him don't have a quote because the journo didnt actually interview him, just wrote a story about him.

You really shouldnt let what other people write affect what you think about someone's ability to play the game. If you don't realise now that the media can make a mountain out of a molehill then you should never climb out from under the rock you have been living under, the real world will be too shocking for you.

Kiwi

First Grade
Darth Bobo said:

2 completely different positions and different styles of play. I can't bag Hunt because is he another awesome talent.

Can't help but wonder if Hunt was at a Sydney club and SBW was at the Broncos would Hunt be the one that comes under fire from slava and others for being overrated because the Sydney press and Ch9 focus on Hunt? If Benji stayed healthy and got the focus would he be the overrated one?

You can't stop what people write about you, most of the stuff you read and hear is written about him, I am yet to hear or read about him saying that "I am the next big thing" "I am the best 2nd rower in the world", most of the stories on him don't have a quote because the journo didnt actually interview him, just wrote a story about him.

You really shouldnt let what other people write affect what you think about someone's ability to play the game. If you don't realise now that the media can make a mountain out of a molehill then you should never climb out from under the rock you have been living under, the real world will be too shocking for you.

I think you'll find the main reason they are talking SBW up more than Hunt is because SBW played for the Grand Final winning team. Once the Bulldogs won the media went crazy for the kid. It wasn't too bad before the GF, but after it and since it's been alittle too much to listen too and not chringe. I'd be saying the same if it was the Broncos who won the GF and HUnt who was getting all the over hype in the media.

Raider_69

Post Whore
How good was reg at the bulldogs training

"All off season the name on everyones lips has been... Karmicheal Hunt but we've got Sonny Bill Williams here..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Razor

Coach
I'm a Broncos supporter as well. Let me ask you who got the rookie award eh?

Because Hunt was massively hyped with the media talking about no one else. So the News Ltd owned Dally M awards had to give the award to the player that the News Ltd newspapers hyped up so much, saying he was better than everyone else.

SBW should have won it, despite playing so few games. Unlike Player Of the year, the Rookie award isn't judged on points, but is objective based.

ozzie

Bench
Well I don't think SBW is the greatest thing since sliced cheese..If Mason hadn't walked on the paddock in the G/f last year - the Roosters would have won the game. I would like to see how good he is going to be in 2 years time..if he is playing still - because I reckon he is only an inch or two away from doing some bad injuries to shoulders

simostorm

Bench
Get your freakin hands of your cocks!!!!

Sonny Bill is by far the most exciting player in rugby league to watch.
Something that Hindmarsh dosnt produce cos he bores the shit out of me.

Seriously, some people are easily pleased.

Williams missed alot of last season through injury and all up be played maybe 3 really impressive games.

Somehow, over the off season, Williams went from a bench player to leading the Bulldogs single handedly to the NRL title!

Its a load of crap.

Williams is just a forward. If the Bulldogs lost him and kept Mason, they would still be the favorites for the title in a CLOSE competition.

Brent Sherwin is about 50 times more important to the Dogs.

lazza

Juniors
nospam49 said:
Brent Sherwin is about 50 times more important to the Dogs.

Agreed... one of the best halves in the game but gets nowhere near the amount of attention

ozzy_ozman

Juniors
SBW is a very talented player but the media hype is just too much and i get sick of reading the articles about sonny!

I said at the end of last season my Australian halfback would have been Sherwin, who was the best halfback in the game last year, and Matt Orford.

Sherwins kicking game is just brilliant. Not in the way that Andrew Johns kicking game was at his very best....its brilliant in a different way.

Its brilliant because its so consistant. The ball always ends up going where it needs to go. Where Johns might run one way, do a banana kick and his his winger on the chest for a freakish try....Sherwin puts the kick over the defensive line....finds that space between the line and the fullback and serves up a great bounce for his chasers to finish the job.

Sherwin is the most important player in that Bulldogs lineup.

slava

Juniors
Darth Bobo said:

WHAT A WANKER! :shock:

slava

Juniors
ozzy_ozman said:
SBW is a very talented player but the media hype is just too much and i get sick of reading the articles about sonny!

that's my point I'm sick of that nice person

elili

Juniors
What does it matter to you if Sonny Bill is the media’s focus?

How does it affect you in any way?

Annoyance and anger at another’s success, praise and recognition is a bitter, jealous and petty emotional response.

Sonny Bill is an awesome player and a top person with a great attitude to boot.

And yet wankers like you, who are meant to be fans of the game that Sonny Bill plays so well, who instead of finding pleasure in his success, would rather criticise, whinge and tear him down as though you despise all he and Rugby League stand for.

Why don’t you take Sonny Bill for what he is: a great exponent of Rugby League and respect and enjoy that as a fan like everybody else, media included, are doing.

Can’t you just be happy for him and his success instead of jealous of it?

Can’t you appreciate and enjoy the privilege of watching a player like him in action instead of wallowing in an envious ignorance?

And if you can’t then why do you support Rugby League? So you have the opportunity to vent your personal frustrations at footballers?

P.S. you’re all wrong: his real name is Sonny William Williams :)

And how good is Andrew Ryan playing :clap: … the left side of the dogs is looking great (even better than last year) esp. with Sonny sweeping around every now and then… Its going to take something special to stop it, or more likley a team that can score more points than it, for anyone to stop the dogs