SOO 3

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by ALSGI, Jul 11, 2018.

1. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

Yeah I don’t think there was a conspiracy, that’s why I call it home ground advantage. From Queensland’s perspective the refs were very quiet, penalising them once in 60 minutes, And the first 5 penalties in a row against nsw.
    I also don’t think prior penalty counts of 4-1 to nsw then 8-6 against can really be called getting the rub of the green. And Hunt was absolutely not making an effort to get off Sims, wasn’t penalised and then pulled him from marker, Sims then stupidly grabbed him fair enough, but the penalty should have been called the other way already. But yes, the game was there to be won, if Crichton passes, Klemmer doesn’t put his leg out, or if Freddy used the reserves better in the last 20, NSW should’ve won, and that’s on them. Great game and series though. It should be an evenly matched super high quality competition for the next few years, and I’m happy about that.

2. ingles

ingles Juniors

Thanks...but having been out of the game for over 40 years I felt I was a little short of a gallop :)

getsmarty likes this.
  3. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

I think Cook's dummy half running in the first game was outstanding, but in the next two I was disappointed and dont think he showed any point of difference with McInness. In all three games he made a lot of tackles but was not able to stop the runner and there were a lot of post contact meters made against him.

I believe that origin would have suited McInness more than Cook, especially his one on one defence.

hazzbeen likes this.
  4. aquiin

aquiin Juniors

Vaughn and McInnes wouldn’t have let Munster through.

Old Kogarah Boy 1 and The Damo like this.
  5. Gareth67

Gareth67 Bench

And each of those players that you mentioned put in the hard yards , as you said epDragon62 , far more deserving.

The Damo likes this.
  6. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Bench

Respectively disagree - Cook is an amazing Hooker with outright off the mark speed not matched by any other Hooker. Not his fault game plan is make him tackle himself into the ground... Peachy should have come on earlier and given him some rest >> if the plan was Peachy as utility..

7. possm

possm First Grade

I think McInnes at 9 and Cook off the bench would have been a better way to go. Peachy added nothing; he spent most of his time on the field running sideways or backwards. Any team copping the deal that NSW received would have been flogged by 30. Bounce of the ball or 50/50 decisions, I don't believe NSW got the rub of the green last night. Under the circumstances I'd have to say NSW played brilliantly.

nontime111, Frank Facer and Carlton like this.
  8. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

His defence is not as solid as McInness. McInness is able to tackle the largest forwards on his own and stop their forward momentum. Cook does not stop the post contact meters and this allows the attack to get a roll on.

Cook is fast of the mark but when he is being pressured by the defence and there is no room to run he is not very dangerous. He is not terrible, in fact he is pretty good, but does not provide the sort of creative opportunities that smith or (shudder) farah did.

There has been a lot of talk from Fittler and Johns etc about origin is not like other games and is more attack focused. I think this is crap, origin is a game of league, like every other one and the same principles apply. Defence is the foundation of a win with control and field position. Its only when these things are working that a team can chance their arm.

2010 likes this.
  9. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

Origin is refereed differently to other club games. The refs usually blow less penalties. It is a similar situation in the Grand Finals too.

Old Kogarah Boy 1 likes this.
  10. ouryears

ouryears Bench

QLD put the ball in our in goal to get repeated sets.

Takes skill, we couldn't do it.

Tedesco throws an intercept. TRY

Maloney throws an intercept.

Maloney drops a few others cold.

Klemmer trips a defender.

Simsy tries to tackle Hunt when we had the ball.

Mitchell hangs onto the ball too long instead of passing it to Jimmy the Jet, lost try.

Mitchell races up out of the line, leaving a yawning gap for QLD to score.

None of these were Referee leeway.

We lost because we made too many errors, could not stop QLD kickers putting it on a string, stupid brain explosions by Klemmer and Sims, poor defensive reads, and Maloney throwing an intercept when he clearly had other options to get us that missed try.

Summary.
    We were not good enough.

Losers blame the Ref
    Winners party

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Carlton, nontime111 and clifford like this.
  11. epDragon62

epDragon62 Bench

The redeeming factor is the defence we had to do in the first half.

12. dragonfire

dragonfire Bench

Cooks was good, would we have been better to have him on the bench as the utility with McInnes starting. Probably, all games QLD came out firing, last night Arrow and Papalli had them rolling early. Cooks would definitely be a guy to bring on late in the half to use his speed around the ruck.

Shame for Sims on that costly penalty, Hunt should have been penalised but he had a real strong start to the second half before that gave momentum to QLD.

Carlton likes this.
  13. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

Short version - without leeway from the refs, they wouldn’t have been in good field position ten times as long as the blues in the first half. With literally one tenth the good field position they got, we scored more. They got that field position advantage in significant part due to leeway in the ruck and ten metres.
    They were also very good, and we didn’t take our chances to win, but that is only part of the story.
    And yes - winners party
    F5429555-705F-4527-B429-EEE301017771.jpeg

ALSGI likes this.
  14. ouryears

ouryears Bench

The key point is that even wit no Inglis, Smith, Thurston and Cronk..... the toads matched us in all aspects.

NSW rave on about a dynasty, thinking they will dominate the series for the next 5-6 years.

They live in a fantasy world if they think QLD will ever fade.

NSW shooting their mouths off, saying how great their young guns are, talking about a new dynasty, blah blah blah.

They will never learn.

I don't want to hear what might be, with NSW players and coaches telling us how great they are, talking dynasties......bunch of wankers who had their pants pulled down in the final game, and lucky to win the series.

If there will be a dynasty, it will most likely be QLD.....again.

Saying QLD got the rub of the green is total bull shit...and continues the bullshit excuses some of you raise about why the Dragons are fading.

Always saying if this, if that, rub of the green......just total crap.

Who said QLD stood within 10 metres, because they didn't, I saw it, both sides got a fair go.

Who cares if we scored 2 tries before half time ....because we scored nothing in the final 40 minutes.

What's your point?

QLD won the game.

And are the team most likely to go on with it in 2019.

nontime111 likes this.
  15. ouryears

ouryears Bench

Because we couldn't put pressure on their 5th tackle options ..... Making them look like kicking geniuses. Repeat sets only happen if you don't counter what the other team is throwing at you.

It's not just bad luck.

16. The Damo

The Damo Juniors

No one of any note talked about a dynasty - that’s your fantasy straw man. Care to name who said this and where? You know, prove it?

What’s your point - NSW won the series.

My point is - in the game QLD won they had a 7-1 penalty count after 65 minutes. You go on and on and on but don’t address the point. Qld played better, and also benefitted from a huge home ground advantage. Not a thing you’ve said disputes that point.

Crush likes this.
  17. aquiin

aquiin Juniors

They’d have to pick someone like Yeo (over Crichton maybe) who can also play as a centre, if necessary, to carry two hookers.

18. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Bench

Yeo, could be a good bench option, due to his ability to play second row and centre.

19. ouryears

ouryears Bench

The states are still pretty even in ability & in the future Qld will be very strong with a lot of great young players coming through! Ponga in particular!
    It was always going to be a tough ask with the loss of Smith,Thurston & Cronk all at once-----plus injuries to other topliners.
    I wouldn't be the slightest bit cocky if I was NSW.

On Slater--Tedesco is not in the same class!!

20. nontime111

nontime111 Juniors

yes as a QLDER and also Dragons fanatic....I think well get you next year as soon as this....imagine that team performance with our new long term half, Cherry ( who I dont think much of as a man but man a gun half) only with PONGA added?? I cant see us getting beat next year we wont be ravaged by injuries or have an unsettled line up either

ouryears likes this.