What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOO and the judiciary

ozbash

Referee
What a total f**king joke, Slater v Hayne.

If a kiwi looks sideways at a ref or official before a trans Tasman test match, he is sidelined.

These two nancys head butt, rabbit punch, lead with the feet, and in JT's case, abuse the ref and they get off scot free..

""" Hayne admitted to making intentional contact with Slater's head, but claimed it was more an action to get the Storm ace away from him with their arms intertwined during the altercation.""" nrl.com

Crucial to Hayne's not guilty finding were the instructions given to the three man panel - which included former Queensland Origin stalwart Bob Lindner - by judiciary chairman Paul Conlon. nrl.com

what a disgrace !!

Warmess

Juniors
I read this stuff and can only think of Issac Luke getting banned from playing in last years ANZAC test. *sigh*

AliN

Live Update Team
yes Origin/Kangaroos certainly seem to have different rules to International Kiwis when it comes to the NRL judiciary.

Iafeta

Referee
Without a doubt there's different rules. Remember Ali Lauitiiti? I think it was the 2003 test where we got drubbed in Sydney. The week before, we played Cronulla. Ali got picked up for two high tackles that were nothing more than do-over love taps. The Sharkies players went into defend him and stated publically something along the lines that a feather could have done more damage than Ali's tackles. End result? Ali suspended, missed the test match.

Basically, in a perfect judicial system, what the judiciary did was create a precedence. Under common law rulings, this is the first ruling that a judge would consider in court. IE, if a lawyer referred to one of these cases in court as a precedent to show innocence as long as the circumstances are relatively the same, the court is basically obligated to go with the precedence ruling. In other words, if this judiciary worked to the way a proper judicial system is supposed to, blokes pretty much now have open slather to head butt and in the case of Thurston go troppo at the referee. Of course, we know though that the NRL judiciary is a political mind field of favouritism, bias and inconsistency so one can't think that common sense would ever apply in their mindset, particularly when they're generally blind sided by Australian representative fixtures.

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Complete Joke! If they got off why didnt Lewis? or are they going to point to that the next time a Kiwi is rubbed out.

MKEB...

Staff member
Okay, some of Lomax/Pongia supensions were merited...Isaac luke-no way.

Thurston Hayne and slater...role models And now untouchable.

Despicable

I beg the question now...would they have been suspended if it was a test, on two counts.

1. If yes -It is saying that SOO is more important than internationals...or

2. if no -There are two sets of rules.

As for the judiciary being directed to come to that conclusion because "he didnt hurt him..."

Throcking disgraceful

Last edited:

MKEB...

Staff member
Complete Joke! If they got off why didnt Lewis? or are they going to point to that the next time a Kiwi is rubbed out.

He was the scapegoat- who is going to watch an SOO because Lewis is there? As good a player as is (pretty damned good) he is a scspegoat

Martli

Coach
I was more gutted that Lewis didn't make it to be honest. I rate him. Oh well, at least we get to see Hayne vs. Slater II.

Micistm

Bench
I'll be honest, this joke over the last couple of weeks of special treatment for the jumped up spoilt darlings of the NRL has put me off the origin series. I truely can't be bothered with it.
The Judiciary have been a joke over the years, the couple that come to mind was the Kearney/Chief Harragin example of a few years back when chief was given the option of changing his plea after fighting a charge and being found guilty-allowing an 'early' guilty plea so he could play a test (while Kearney was not only found guilty but had the punishment changed from so many games to timeframe so he couldn't play), and of course Issac Lukes disgraceful ban in '09.
Anyone who doesn't think there's selective rules for certain special players may well have lost any debating power over the last two weeks. Just appalling.

...and let's not forget Wades world record spitting attempt ;-)

Rovelli

Bench
You just saw it coming.

Thurston throws his toys out of the cot - he clearly was not muttering the words to himself. He got picked up loud and clear by the ref's mic!! Charged with "bringing the game into disrepute"...Wadeo gets charged with "contrary conduct" and misses 5 games all up for such offenses.

Although Slater probably deserved it, how does Hayne get off? He admitted to intentionally trying to make contact!!

Then Slater comes in with a cheap-shot forearm into Hayne and gets off.

Oh the judiciary...

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, it's too ridiculous

If it were Wade McKinnon, he would have got the death penalty

ozreece77

Juniors
Yeah, it's too ridiculous

If it were Wade McKinnon, he would have got the death penalty

Same for Matthew Ridge.
Remember when he touched Paul Simpkins during a game against Balmain?
Never mind the fact that Simpkins was having an absolute howler of a game which ultimately cost the Warriors the win...

Drzoidberg

Juniors
All to get bums on seats. They do it when it benefits them, our good old fair and honest Austrayian neighbours