What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa '17, England/USA '21 - The failed bids, the backup plan.

jim_57

Staff member
A few years back when the 2017 WC bids were being considered South Africa were the ultimate underdogs and it appeared nobody took the bid that seriously. Just recently on a USA 21 bid discussion I read from someone that saw an in depth presentation on the SA17 bid and how strong it actually was. Including the stadiums, media parters who were on board and the people in the bid team, a few of which were involved in the FIFA WC bid for South Africa.

Leads me to think, right decision or not to not award them a WC was there ever a counter offer to this unprecedented interest in holding a RL tournament? Was there an offer to work with these people to bring high profile RL to South Africa despite their bid losing out? And should we expect the same with the losing bid for 2021 World Cup?

We seem to be in a better position now with the Confederations Cup every 2 years and hopefully an RLIF 9's. Hopefully in future the countries unlucky to miss out on World Cups can be persuaded in to bidding for these events. Seems such a shame to let such interest go to nothing as has happened with South Africa.

jim_57

Staff member
I really think until SARL gets government recognition they're pushing shit up a hill in regards to hosting anything major.

I tend to think if stadium/media partners are interested, getting the big players in to town could really put pressure on the government. If the RLIF wants to hist a 9's or an NRL clubs want to play a game there, and stadiums are interested, is there any way the government can legally stop it?

Would like to see an NRL club partner with SARL to play trial games there and open up professional pathways for local players. SARL could sure do with some outside help in their battle for recognition.

Latest posts