What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa V. Australia: 2nd Tst

JJ

Immortal
Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
You know you're losing an argument when you can't stay within the series being discussed.

People are pretty tired of Smith's talk about getting closer to the Aussie's with each game blah blah.

If you want to keep buying into his talk that losing 3 out of 4 tests gives Sarf Afika good momentum go right ahead. Tee off is at 8am Monday morning BTW. :p

You moved beyond the current series first...

I'm as tired of Smith's endless talk as anyone, but just as tired of that moron Warne's

Red Bear

Referee
JJ said:
Pollock's still a very fine test cricketer, to suggest anything else is ludicrous.

It's interesting that you suggest Pollock doesn't do much at test level these days (I'd reckon he still does more than any of the current Aust attack, bar Warne), and suggest that Gillespie and Clark compare favourably with the RSA attack. The RSA attack has done more in tests in recent times than Gillespie, who currently doesn't play them and was ordinary by his high standards for quite a period before he was dropped. Clark has played 1 test - most people would agree that Pollock, Ntini, Nel, and Kallis all compare well with him at present...

As for Lee, his test record remains pretty ordinary... much more ordinary than Pollock and Ntini who are the fairest comparisons
I say that cause i think his average pre 2003 was something very good like 21 and since is about 28. In the last series in Australia he really and truely did f**k all (although mcgrath didnt do a huge amount more than him, but Mcgrath is 36). He used to be an awesome bowler but as an opposition i dont fear him that much to be honest. Pretty easily played away in test cricket.

And to suggest pollock is the best cricket in the world is ludicrous.

Now no doubt the SA attack looks pretty good on paper ut te Australian attack has been performing better than them at the moment. And no doubt Gillespie asin poor form prior to dropping but from Pura Cup results looks like he is doing allright (particularly considering he is bowling at Adelaide) and he would be an excellent asset right now in South Africa.

lockyno1

Post Whore
GoTheBears said:
I say that cause i think his average pre 2003 was something very good like 21 and since is about 28. In the last series in Australia he really and truely did f**k all (although mcgrath didnt do a huge amount more than him, but Mcgrath is 36). He used to be an awesome bowler but as an opposition i dont fear him that much to be honest. Pretty easily played away in test cricket.

Now no doubt the SA attack looks pretty good on paper ut te Australian attack has been performing better than them at the moment. And no doubt Gillespie asin poor form prior to dropping but from Pura Cup results looks like he is doing allright (particularly considering he is bowling at Adelaide) and he would be an excellent asset right now in South Africa.

Pollock has lost quite a bit of pace. Gone are the days that he was a tearaway quick. Now its line and length which will trouble batsman but will it consistently trouble batsman. That is questionable. We'll see in the next 2 tests.

JJ

Immortal
GoTheBears said:

Pollock's one of the best all-rounders - Flintoff better atm, but Kallis is clearly the best cricketer in the world :D I know Aussies tend not to rate him

Pollock's average of 28 since 2003 (if accurate) is still better than Lee or Kasper's career marks... and almost certainly better than their figures over the equivalent period. Agree he's not quite the bowler he was, but the bowler he was is one of the best in the history of cricket...

As for Clark, he's played one test and his first class average is 30 - nuff said

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
aussies1st said:
That Kasper better do something this time.

yeh, I'd like to see Bracken in there is seated of Kasper

cleraly the first test pitch suited the seam bowlers and Kasper got a couple of wickets on it, not good enough

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
UndertakerMike said:
Flintoffs a hack atm.

I wouldn't mind a hack like that in the Aussie team

perhaps you'd prefer Lewis, being a Victorian

JJ

Immortal
UndertakerMike said:
Flintoffs a hack atm.

hmmm
Captain in 3rd test vs India
1st Innings
*A Flintoff c Tendulkar b Kumble 50 136 85 6 3
Flintoff 21 4 68 1 (2nb)
2nd innings
*A Flintoff st Dhoni b Kumble 50 209 146 6 1
Flintoff 11 4 14 3 (3nb, 1w)

Yup, a real hack :roll: two 50's and 3/14 in the last innings to roll India - while captaining a very understrength side... Give me Symonds or Watson any day:lol: :lol: :lol:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
yeh, I'd like to see Bracken in there is seated of Kasper

cleraly the first test pitch suited the seam bowlers and Kasper got a couple of wickets on it, not good enough

Heck no, Hacken is back where he belongs! His test figures are unimpressive to say the least!

Red Bear

Referee
JJ said:
Pollock's one of the best all-rounders - Flintoff better atm, but Kallis is clearly the best cricketer in the world :D I know Aussies tend not to rate him

Pollock's average of 28 since 2003 (if accurate) is still better than Lee or Kasper's career marks... and almost certainly better than their figures over the equivalent period. Agree he's not quite the bowler he was, but the bowler he was is one of the best in the history of cricket...

As for Clark, he's played one test and his first class average is 30 - nuff said
Clark, we'll just see how he goes, he surprised me big time by his debut.
Flintoff is better than Kallis at the moment, although Flintoff would make any side purely on Bowling cos he is close to (if not the best) quick in the world currently.

JJ

Immortal
GoTheBears said:
Clark, we'll just see how he goes, he surprised me big time by his debut.
Flintoff is better than Kallis at the moment, although Flintoff would make any side purely on Bowling cos he is close to (if not the best) quick in the world currently.

Kallis does average 57 or so with the bat...

agree on Flintoff, with McGrath out it's between him and Bond as the best current test quick IMO

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
Kallis does average 57 or so with the bat...

agree on Flintoff, with McGrath out it's between him and Bond as the best current test quick IMO

You and Bond! FFS the bloke is good but not that good. Simon Jones, Pathan, Pollock, Acktar are just as capable and devastating as Bond! In fact I'd take Jones more than anyone on the list!

JJ

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
You and Bond! FFS the bloke is good but not that good. Simon Jones, Pathan, Pollock, Acktar are just as capable and devastating as Bond! In fact I'd take Jones more than anyone on the list!

I'd suggest you take a look at Bond's test average, strike rate etc etc...

I'd take Pollock in the long haul, but at present Bond's a better bowler IMO
Current test rankings support your lack of knowledge too - what's with Australians and their fascination for Indian cricketers - Pathan, you're f**king kidding.

1 Murali
2. McGrath
3. Warne
4. Ntini
5. Hoggard
6. Flintoff
7. Bond
8. Ahktar
9. Vaas
10. Nel

Bond's test average is 20.49 and SR 37.61, his ODI average is 18.63 and SR 26.5 - show me how any of the bowlers you mention are better - the only downside is he hasn't played as much as we would like

JJ said:
You moved beyond the current series first...

I'm as tired of Smith's endless talk as anyone, but just as tired of that moron Warne's

Big difference is Warne is playing for the side that has bragging rights after 3 test wins recently over them.

Winners are grinners and losers can be satisfied with 'getting closer and closer'. :lol:

EDIT : Second thoughts, maybe Smith is right, after all a 7 wicket flogging is 'closer' than a 8 wicket flogging. :lol:

JJ

Immortal
Rastus_in_Melbourne said:
Big difference is Warne is playing for the side that has bragging rights after 3 test wins recently over them.

Winners are grinners and losers can be satisfied with 'getting closer and closer'. :lol:

EDIT : Second thoughts, maybe Smith is right, after all a 7 wicket flogging is 'closer' than a 8 wicket flogging. :lol:

yup, they did ok in the odi series though

Smith and Warne are Dumb and Dumber though

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
I'd suggest you take a look at Bond's test average, strike rate etc etc...

I'd take Pollock in the long haul, but at present Bond's a better bowler IMO
Current test rankings support your lack of knowledge too - what's with Australians and their fascination for Indian cricketers - Pathan, you're f**king kidding.

1 Murali
2. McGrath
3. Warne
4. Ntini
5. Hoggard
6. Flintoff
7. Bond
8. Ahktar
9. Vaas
10. Nel

Bond's test average is 20.49 and SR 37.61, his ODI average is 18.63 and SR 26.5 - show me how any of the bowlers you mention are better - the only downside is he hasn't played as much as we would like

Ntini? Hoggard? Don't know which one is worse in terms of a top 10! Then you don't put Simon Jones in there! Pathan is world class. He'd be in my 10 but he'd probally be 9/10. Bond will probally be 10th on my list. Here is mine:

1. Warne
2. McGrath
3. Flintoff
4. Vass
5. Simon Jones
6. Murali
7. Harmison
8. Pollock
9. Pathan
10. Bond

That would be my top 10

JJ

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
Ntini? Hoggard? Don't know which one is worse in terms of a top 10! Then you don't put Simon Jones in there! Pathan is world class. He'd be in my 10 but he'd probally be 9/10. Bond will probally be 10th on my list. Here is mine:

1. Warne
2. McGrath
3. Flintoff
4. Vass
5. Simon Jones
6. Murali
7. Harmison
8. Pollock
9. Pathan
10. Bond

That would be my top 10

That wasn't "my" list mate, it was the current ICC test rankings...

Latest posts