What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"South East QLD Titans"

DlEHARD

Juniors
The Titans must stay on the Gold Coast. It needs to represent the NRL in that region and northern NSW. The problems of the club aren't related to the region.

Being a Brisbane boy myself but also a Titans member since 2007 I can say that it is a terrible idea.

The Titans had quite a following in Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan in the early years but that was left to rot.

Brisbane needs its own teams and I believe there is room for one north of the city and one south of the city, eventually.

Don't ruin the Gold Coast while also destroying any chance of a new Brisbane team to become a fantastic club.

TheFrog

Coach
I don't understand why everyone thinks a second brisbane team will be more successful than the gold coast. I just don't see it. why would anyone who supports brisbane support brisbane 2?
Less than 50% of Rugby League fans in Brisbane support the Broncos.

Still, the Broncos will not allow it to be successful unless they own it.

ram raid

Bench
as Gus did say:

Gould felt the biggest failure of the club was their inability to attract support from the area of northern NSW and really establish a wide fanbase.

“It’s failed over a long period of time to establish what kind of club it is. If it just wants to be a club on the Glitter Strip at the Gold Coast it will get the sort of results that it’s got right now,” Gould said.

“But it has to be a beacon of inspiration and aspiration for all kids everywhere; if they want to play in the NRL this is the place they want to be and they just haven’t done that.

“You know, from the northern coast of NSW all the way through to Brisbane is a huge growth area in our country. You look at that freeway now that runs from Brisbane all the way past the Gold Coast and all the way down to the Northern NSW towns — this is an area that had to be cultivated, it had to be established.

“It’s just not the Gold Coast, we’re just not talking about Mermaid Beach down to Broadbeach, it’s much more than that, it’s got to represent a much larger area and it’s got to have pathways programs and, people in that area have got to feel like that’s their team.

So from Kingscliffe to Kempsy? Play a few games in Coffs and Port Macquarie?

siv

First Grade
Relocating the Titans to Brisbane will be a failure.

Maybe the need to go back to their original name

Tweed-Gold Coast and silver black & white colours

Or be the Tweed-Gold Coast Bears

Its way more important for them to reconnect with Northern NSW than southern Brisbane

myrrh ken

First Grade
THe colours are pretty much defined by their name.

Maybe a new jersey design or a tweak of the hue

ReddFelon

Juniors
This.

Prolonged on field improvement is the key, if they make the top 4/8 regularly a lot of those lost fans from the early years will come back out of the woodwork.

Debatable, there are plenty of shit teams in Australian sport that still draw large crowds. If winning games guaranteed crowds Easts would have 40k most seasons.

mistertaylor

Juniors
If that's the case then why have teams like the Warriors, Bulldogs and Newcastle been nabbing multinational sponsors (Vodafone, KIA, NIB), while the Storm's main sponsor is a real estate startup that closed its Australian division in May of this year and Easts are sponsored by a chicken farm?

My point is, the Titans are being touted for relocation because they're on the bottom of the ladder. Winning games consistently will kill off the relocation talk. It will also get more crowds = more appeal to sponsors.

ReddFelon

Juniors
My point is, the Titans are being touted for relocation because they're on the bottom of the ladder. Winning games consistently will kill off the relocation talk. It will also get more crowds = more appeal to sponsors.
Refer to my post above, where's the evidence of this?

There are teams across multiple sports that win quite often and never draw crowds and teams that have sucked for decades that get large crowds.

Check it out;

Big Bash League; always strong crowd averages, absolutely no correlation between good crowds and bad crowds when winning percentage is accounted for.

A-League; over the last 3 years each season has had one singular consistently dominant team, 2016-17 = Sydney, 2017-2018 = Newcastle, 2018-2019 = Perth. None saw an increase in support until they hosted a grand final and in all cases the support dropped immediately after the next season started.

Fremantle Dockers; 25 year existence with more losing seasons than wins, crowds in the mid-30s every season since the turn of the century.

Sydney Swans; made finals every year but one between 2003 and 2018, never had a substantial increase or decrease in crowds during that time period, even when they won Premierships and played GFs no major changes.

GWS: 3 consecutive finals appearances have seen a drop in reported crowd averages with the club puttering around the 10,000-12000 mark throughout their existence.

Easts; regular finals appearances and two premierships this decade. Crowds stay more or less the same until finals time.

kdalymc

Bench
Refer to my post above, where's the evidence of this?

There are teams across multiple sports that win quite often and never draw crowds and teams that have sucked for decades that get large crowds.

Check it out;

Big Bash League; always strong crowd averages, absolutely no correlation between good crowds and bad crowds when winning percentage is accounted for.

A-League; over the last 3 years each season has had one singular consistently dominant team, 2016-17 = Sydney, 2017-2018 = Newcastle, 2018-2019 = Perth. None saw an increase in support until they hosted a grand final and in all cases the support dropped immediately after the next season started.

Fremantle Dockers; 25 year existence with more losing seasons than wins, crowds in the mid-30s every season since the turn of the century.

Sydney Swans; made finals every year but one between 2003 and 2018, never had a substantial increase or decrease in crowds during that time period, even when they won Premierships and played GFs no major changes.

GWS: 3 consecutive finals appearances have seen a drop in reported crowd averages with the club puttering around the 10,000-12000 mark throughout their existence.

Easts; regular finals appearances and two premierships this decade. Crowds stay more or less the same until finals time.
You could have saved yourself a debut novel and just realised that the gold coast is different.
It's simply not a sport town.
f**king /thread

ReddFelon

Juniors
You could have saved yourself a debut novel and just realised that the gold coast is different.
It's simply not a sport town.
f**king /thread
I like making posts that are backed up with actual examples.

The gold coast is a sport town, the problem is it has too many. I can't think of any other city that has strong local League, AFL, Union, Netball, Basketball, Cricket, Hockey, Volleyball, Soccer comps etc. all in the one city to the level that they do. Too much on offer, not enough dedication to a single code.

big hit!

Bench
Neutral site games are massive in college football which is arguably the biggest sport in the world in terms of crowds.
Virginia Tech v Tennessee got 160k at a neutral site a couple years ago. All the bowl games are neutral site.

Bowl games are basically finals. There’s a tradition in specific bowl games being tied to specific venues.

Neutral site college games arent played at venue like cairns or gosford either

big hit!

Bench
Who cares that it’s propped up by TV?

It’s a massive audience compared to what you could get at any ground anywhere. TV should be propping up the game.

It’s not great for a club like GC that need crowds at the game to service their lease cost.

NFL start about 13 of 16 matches per week at 1pm or 4pm New York time.

EPL start 8 of 10 matches per week before 4pm.

Both leagues do alright with TV rights and attracting crowds.

The NRL is a night game in winter now. f**k the crowds.

mongoose

Coach
I like making posts that are backed up with actual examples.

The gold coast is a sport town, the problem is it has too many. I can't think of any other city that has strong local League, AFL, Union, Netball, Basketball, Cricket, Hockey, Volleyball, Soccer comps etc. all in the one city to the level that they do. Too much on offer, not enough dedication to a single code.

Thats all good, but it doesn't change the fact that moving to Brisbane won't do shit to help them.
Anyway the chairman has come out and denied the rumors so it doesn't matter.

Quicksilver

Bench
It’s not great for a club like GC that need crowds at the game to service their lease cost.

NFL start about 13 of 16 matches per week at 1pm or 4pm New York time.

EPL start 8 of 10 matches per week before 4pm.

Both leagues do alright with TV rights and attracting crowds.

The NRL is a night game in winter now. f**k the crowds.

Yeah. They don’t really have comparable population to us.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Thats all good, but it doesn't change the fact that moving to Brisbane won't do shit to help them.
Anyway the chairman has come out and denied the rumors so it doesn't matter.

I take Watt with a grain of salt. Full confidence of the board has taught me never to trust public statements.

Latest posts