What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Island Kea

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The new expansion bid is starting to make a lot more noise lately, would be a great rivalry if they can get the go ahead

Matua

Bench
That is one real impressive team behind the bid.
Some thoughts.

I thought WTF is Andy Marinos doing on a NZ league bid? Then I remembered he played league for a while.

Aside from the consultancy guy (brown but not NZ league playing brown) and Bergman (I think he's Maori) this is the whitest group of guys around. Could they not find some more brown faces, maybe a PI? II know it's Chch, but it's a league team in NZ ....

Have the two South Island bids now been consolidated? Is that dude who said they were going to announce in Vegas now part of this bid?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I prefer South Island Falcons as a name. Kea ain't really tough like that

Actually caused a bit of an issue down here, the Linwood Keas have been around since 1913 and have been in the last 9 Grand Finals in Canterbury, winning 7 of them.

think they’ve got that all sorted though

Nope, my club as a kid was the Flaxmere Falcons, don't want a South Island team with that moniker. ;)

Fair enough, ok how about the Te Reo name of Karearea? Can we get the aussies to pronounce a couple more syllables, or is Kea even pushing it? Or what about a similar bird of prey, The South Island Swamp Harriers?

Keas are definitely the best bird since the Haast Eagles were wiped out

Funnily enough I've only ever seen Kea twice out of captivity. Once outside a restaurant in Arthur's pass next to a sign saying "Don't feed the Kea!" (People were ignoring said sign). The other time was in Haast Pass when one flew over my rental car. It was definitely majestic seeing one in flight, but I see Falcons and Harriers soaring every single day when I'm driving to work. They're just badass birds of prey and a little more suitable for a RL team mascot IMHO.

Matua

Bench
Fair enough, ok how about the Te Reo name of Karearea? Can we get the aussies to pronounce a couple more syllables, or is Kea even pushing it? Or what about a similar bird of prey, The South Island Swamp Harriers?

Funnily enough I've only ever seen Kea twice out of captivity. Once outside a restaurant in Arthur's pass next to a sign saying "Don't feed the Kea!" (People were ignoring said sign). The other time was in Haast Pass when one flew over my rental car. It was definitely majestic seeing one in flight, but I see Falcons and Harriers soaring every single day when I'm driving to work. They're just badass birds of prey and a little more suitable for a RL team mascot IMHO.
I reckon most Cantabs will struggle with Karearea let alone the Aussies. :)

Kea seems pretty easy in comparison, Aussies pronounce the Korean cars the same way so they can make the sound.

In all honesty I'm not going to support the team so I don't really care.

Big Marn

Bench
Remember its Keas (plural). If i had 13 Keas coming at me all at the same time, I'd be more than a little rattled. I remember what just one did to a guys motorbike when he left it unattended in Arthurs Pass.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Remember its Keas (plural). If i had 13 Keas coming at me all at the same time, I'd be more than a little rattled. I remember what just one did to a guys motorbike when he left it unattended in Arthurs Pass.
Depends if you're doing Maori plurals correctly or not, I think these days you follow the Te Reo convention of using the same word for singular and plural for Maori words in either English or Maori.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Aside from the consultancy guy (brown but not NZ league playing brown) and Bergman (I think he's Maori) this is the whitest group of guys around. Could they not find some more brown faces, maybe a PI? II know it's Chch, but it's a league team in NZ ....

Seems fitting for the South Island tbf. Works for me for the rivalry, I fully intend to hate them and consider them racist weirdos.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Glad the Warriors have upped their game signing Māori players, can’t have the South Island weirdos pinching all the talent ;)

Latest posts