What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Rabbitohs centre Greg Inglis says team not getting carried away by winni

Greg Inglis From: The Daily Telegraph August 19, 2011 12:00AM
Hot right now: Greg Inglis and the Bunnies are flying. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

LET'S get straight to the point here. The South Sydney Rabbitohs are on a roll.

I mean, three wins in a row isn't a spectacular feat in itself. The teams enjoying the view from the top of the table have probably pulled that out of the bag more than once this season.

But the nature of those wins - knocking off the premiers after trailing by 20 followed by two run-away victories - there's no doubt we're pulling out something special right now.

Add the round 19 golden-point win against the Roosters and our form has definitely proven a confidence boost.

But set among those morale-lifting results is another game we can't forget. In fact, it's probably more important we remember this one. It's the 48-16 drubbing we suffered at the hands of the Warriors in round 20.

There are a few things contributing to our run of late. One of them is consistency; another is that we're valuing our possession.

But if there was just one kick in the backside, I think it would be that demoralising result. We do not want to feel like that again.

I will admit, though, I am having mixed feelings about our turn-around.

Ultimately, it's fantastic.

We have to keep winning to keep our season alive, so we're getting the job done in that respect. But - and apologies for the cliche - we don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

There are three rounds remaining and even if we win all three, we are no certainty of a top-eight spot.

Which brings me to the third feeling in the mix - frustration.

Why couldn't we just deliver this form, this enthusiasm from the beginning? I knew we had it in us.

I knew we had the strike power.

But we were sitting back and making excuses instead of getting the job done.

Still, what's done is done.

What we must do now is beat the North Queensland Cowboys at ANZ Stadium tonight, which will be no easy task.

Of course, Johnathan Thurston is back in the mix after returning from injury last weekend. He probably wasn't at his best last week, but the run would have done him the world of good and I expect him to fire tonight. The thing this year with the Cowboys is, you can't just focus on shutting down Thurston. Gavin Cooper, Willie Tonga, Aaron Payne, Tariq and Ashton Sims, Matt Scott - they've got so many players who can cause plenty of damage. And I didn't even mention Matty Bowen, who is probably back to peak form.

How exciting is the Bowen versus Nathan Merritt match-up going to be? Eight tries in two weeks is the handy little stat from Merritt.

He's been outstanding for the Bunnies and how he hasn't been picked to play State of Origin for NSW, I don't know. Surely he'll be there in years to come. He should be.

We've also got an in-form answer to the Thurston equation.

Chris Sandow has been a star of the Rabbitohs' resurgence and the match-up against Thurston will be exciting.

Importantly, I'd also like to make mention of a few teammates who will feature on the night. Issac Luke will play his 100th NRL game, which is a fantastic milestone.

It's also his 100th for the Rabbitohs which makes it extra special.

Rhys Wesser will be at his last home game, having called time on his illustrious career.

And lastly, fellow retiree, the injured Luke Stuart, regarded as a modern-day legend of the club, will be guest of honour, having racked up an amazing 242 NRL games - 190 of those for Souths.

This column was written for ANZ Stadium, where Greg Inglis is an ambassador. For tickets to the Rabbitohs-Cowboys game, visit www.ticketek.com.au or call 132 849.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226117793771

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm glad we've figured things out and however this season finishes we've laid a good foundation for 2012. Plus the addition of a great coach in Maguire, and 2012 has big things in store for a team with clearly enough talent to be a top 4 team.