What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Sydney Rabbitohs issues

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The last thing Souffs need is someone to "bond" with LM and CW. They need someone to pull them into line and then back them up when the players cry. They also need some decent forwards

edabomb

First Grade
With all due respect to him, Mal is barking mad if he takes the Souffs gig. He is in for a hiding to nothing. That squad is not winning a title in 2024, they will be lucky to even make finals, and there will be no shortage of people frothing at the mouth to stick the boot into him and say "see, he isn't that good. He's been carried by the rep level players he's had in the Maroons and Kangas".

He copped it relentlessly during the Maroons dynasty, and I doubt much will have changed if he takes over Souffs and finishes 11-13th which is at best where they will end up. The fantasy the media will run with is he will march into the joint, weave his immortal magic and turn Souffs back into a force in a few months. It's just not happening. Run for the hills Mal, you owe the Bunnies nothing.
I actually think it's a no-brainer for Mal.

- There will be about 300,000 good reasons to take up a 5 month gig. Nice little bump ahead of retirement age.
- Who is really going to call his record into question if he fails to get a 1-4 team into the finals? He had a 53% (66-2-57) win record at the Raiders so at worst this would him closer to 50%.
- If by some minor miracle he gets Souths to the 8 he can say he left them in a much better spot than he found them.
- Probably gets another couple of years as a "consultant" with Souths on the back end.

Reflector

Bench
It’s funny but I respect him a lot for it. Probably realised he wasn’t up to the job and decided to step down on his own terms before screwing over everyone. That traitor of a pm we have now should take notice
Anthony Albanese to replace JD as Souths coach confirmed...

Reflector

Bench
With all due respect to him, Mal is barking mad if he takes the Souffs gig. He is in for a hiding to nothing. That squad is not winning a title in 2024, they will be lucky to even make finals, and there will be no shortage of people frothing at the mouth to stick the boot into him and say "see, he isn't that good. He's been carried by the rep level players he's had in the Maroons and Kangas".

He copped it relentlessly during the Maroons dynasty, and I doubt much will have changed if he takes over Souffs and finishes 11-13th which is at best where they will end up. The fantasy the media will run with is he will march into the joint, weave his immortal magic and turn Souffs back into a force in a few months. It's just not happening. Run for the hills Mal, you owe the Bunnies nothing.
Made this start playing in my head. Thanks:

yobbo84

Coach
My guess which could be totally wrong is JD has been too soft on some that they see him as a player /admin and not a head coach
Has the assistant coach to head coach transition at the same club ever worked, long term?

I imagine it's really hard to go from the "good cop" assistant coach to the "bad cop" head coach with the same bunch of blokes, and have them take you seriously.

Even more so when you're following Wayne Bennett.

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
I actually think it's a no-brainer for Mal.

- There will be about 300,000 good reasons to take up a 5 month gig. Nice little bump ahead of retirement age.
- Who is really going to call his record into question if he fails to get a 1-4 team into the finals? He had a 53% (66-2-57) win record at the Raiders so at worst this would him closer to 50%.
- If by some minor miracle he gets Souths to the 8 he can say he left them in a much better spot than he found them.
- Probably gets another couple of years as a "consultant" with Souths on the back end.

I agree. Earns a bit of coin. Assistants will do most of the training. No one expects Souths to do much now anyway so if they go any good it’s a bonus. He doesn’t have much to lose.

Has the assistant coach to head coach transition at the same club ever worked, long term?

I imagine it's really hard to go from the "good cop" assistant coach to the "bad cop" head coach with the same bunch of blokes, and have them take you seriously.

Trent Robinson was Assistant Coach to Brian Smith at the Roosters in 2010, after having been an assistant at the Knights from 2007-2009. Went to the Catalan Dragons to become head Coach in 2011 before coming back to the Roosters as head Coach in 2013.

Only other one I can think of is John Monie. He was the reserve grade coach to Jack Gibson at Parramatta, and when Jack left at the end of 1983, Monie took the job.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Was Assistant Coach to Brian Smith at the Roosters in 2010, after having been an assistant at the Knights from 2007-2009. Went to the Catalan Dragons to become head Coach in 2011 before coming back to the Roosters as head Coach in 2013.

Only other one I can think of is John Monie. He was the reserve grade coach to Jack Gibson at Parramatta, and when Jack left at the end of 1983, Monie took the job.
Roy masters. Was 3rd grade under 23s coach.
Western suburbs magpies
Then went straight to NRL head coach

yobbo84

Coach
Was Assistant Coach to Brian Smith at the Roosters in 2010, after having been an assistant at the Knights from 2007-2009. Went to the Catalan Dragons to become head Coach in 2011 before coming back to the Roosters as head Coach in 2013.

Robinson still left and came back though - not one year assistant, next year head coach.

Robinson still left and came back though - not one year assistant, next year head coach.

True.

Don't forget though, for a long time the "assistant" coach was one of the lower grade coaches. When Jack Gibson was punted by South Sydney after the 1979 season, they appointed Bill Anderson to replace him. Anderson had been the reserve grade coach, and Jack's assistant for the prior 2 seasons.

skeepe

Immortal

David Furner did it at the Raiders, with pretty mixed results. Lasted 5 years though so I guess that's sort of successful?

Latest posts