What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths take action against Fletcher

Franko said:
Probably Cusack.

I'd give it to JOhn Sutton he is a long term project for Souths and will be around Souths for a long time. He probably will be there skipper at some stage so why not now. I think he could handle it as well.

Rammo

Juniors
Excellent work from Souths' management, they have gained credibility in their handling of this issue by sorting it out quickly.

izzo

Juniors
its funny because

fletcher n richo already agreed at giving ash the captaincy when he returned from injury

so realy its only the 5grand fine.

Hurriflatch

Referee
actually it's a 10 grand fine with 5 of it going to a Widders nominated charity and he won't play this week v Sharks so a 1 match suspension aswell.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Hey, who deleted my awesome thread. Come on, be a man!!!

Back to the topic. I think the punishment was just. Bryan Fletcher was the captain, it is absolutely inexcuseable what he did. Race should have nothing to do with it. If you don't like a player, you should say "you're a f**king idiot". There is no need, what so ever to say "you're a black f**king idiot". It's completely unnecessary.

Bryan, you're a f**king idiot.

Franko

Juniors
Southern Rooster said:
I'd give it to JOhn Sutton he is a long term project for Souths and will be around Souths for a long time. He probably will be there skipper at some stage so why not now. I think he could handle it as well.

Yea i think that would also be a good idea but don't think it will happen yet.

walker smith

Juniors
just for one second and purely for the sake of comparison and argument, lets compare club reactions:

1) fletcher's comment and the justified reaction from souths

2) the canterbury internal action on the coffs harbour incident - being none. And before i hear the bleaters, whether coffs harbour was rape or not, by the clubs own admission it involved "significant breaches of the canterbury code of conduct" by players.

Souths magnificently swift and forthright response highlights the duplicitous and malignant culture that exists in a so-called superpower like the bulldogs. Let us not forget that the punitive measures from Souths come from a struggling club who can ill afford to soldier on without one of their few marquee players.

But one club is steeped in integrity and the other is, well, Canterbury......

Hurriflatch said:
actually it's a 10 grand fine with 5 of it going to a Widders nominated charity and he won't play this week v Sharks so a 1 match suspension aswell.

Being stood down from playing for Souths is not really a punishment.

wittyfan

Referee
walker smith said:
just for one second and purely for the sake of comparison and argument, lets compare club reactions:

1) fletcher's comment and the justified reaction from souths

2) the canterbury internal action on the coffs harbour incident - being none. And before i hear the bleaters, whether coffs harbour was rape or not, by the clubs own admission it involved "significant breaches of the canterbury code of conduct" by players.

Souths magnificently swift and forthright response highlights the duplicitous and malignant culture that exists in a so-called superpower like the bulldogs. Let us not forget that the punitive measures from Souths come from a struggling club who can ill afford to soldier on without one of their few marquee players.

But one club is steeped in integrity and the other is, well, Canterbury......

You're forgetting that "nothing happened" in Coffs Harbour.

gaterooze

Bench
If one good thing can come out of this ugly incident, it's that the Aboriginal charities Widders is involved in will get some more recognition/promotion.

I hope the media focuses on this in the fallout, rather than the inevitable sob stories about what a great guy Fletch really is (remember when that Wallabies idiot made a racial slur? They painted him as a frickin' hero in the tabloids).

yankeeboy

Juniors
The fact remains that racism has no place in sport...

If you are going to hit a player, hit him because his jersey is a different colour than your, not becuase his skin is.

He made a very big mistake...I doubt he is racist, and he is probably very sorry, but the fact remains that he must be (and is to be) punished for what he did.

White people have run over everybody else for the past two millenia (not just in Australia, but worldwide). That is over now, and racism is simply unacceptable.

The_Coach

Juniors
Stop comparing this incident to the bulldogs, which it has nothing in common with, and compare it to Dunley and Cross.

Souths accepted the players mistake and punished him themselves. Unlike Manly and Roosters who lie through their teeth that the player is innocent, even in the face of Irrefutable evidence.

Congratulation to Souths for dealing with the matter themselves and in the right way. Instead of trying to deny the whole thing and running for their lawyers.

Vicious

Bench
I reckon all this crap gets taken way out of proportion. I don`t see how being called black is racial yet if a dark guy calls a white fella, a white **** it`s ok???
What happens on the field should stay on the field and besides how many white guys want or wish they could be dark???

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Vicious said:
I reckon all this crap gets taken way out of proportion. I don`t see how being called black is racial yet if a dark guy calls a white fella, a white **** it`s ok???

It's not okay. Are you suggesting that this has happened?

Latest posts