What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths to be competitive in '04: Hill

izzo

Juniors
Souths to be competitive in '04: Hill
30 December 2003
credit:nrl.com

Big name South Sydney recruit Terry Hill said today the Rabbitohs would be "ultra-competitive" in 2004.

Rabbitohs fans could be excused for getting a feeling of deja vu.

Souths have been perennial National Rugby League cellar-dwellers since their return to the competition two years ago, this year only winning three of 24 matches.

But Hill, who began his career with Souths in 1990, said he had been impressed with the outlook at the club since his return from the Wests Tigers.

"This has been the best off-season in a few years (at the club)," Hill said. "(Coach) Paul Langmack's got a good squad assembled.

"If we can keep the nucleus of the team together, I think we will be ultra-competitive."
That nucleus will include 31-year old Hill and former Newcastle winger Adam MacDougall, who join skipper Bryan Fletcher as the most experienced players at the club.
The Tigers' Willie Manu, St George Illawarra's Dean Byrne and Bulldogs trio Shane Marteene, Glen Hall and Todd Polglaze have also joined the club for the new season.
Hill has a good relationship with Langmack, who was assistant coach at the Tigers in 2001.

The former NSW and Australian centre said he was likely to play in the back row, continuing his switch in recent seasons from the backs.

"I'll probably play in the forwards but wherever they need me to play, I'll play," he said.

Next year shapes as a crucial one for Souths, but it doesn't get off to an easy start.
It will begin on Australia Day weekend at the World Sevens, where the red and greens have been drawn with premier Penrith, the Tigers and Canberra in Pool B.

They will meet St George Illawarra in the traditional Charity Shield match in February and open the NRL season with a match against grand finalists the Roosters on March 14.

Brought to you by AAP

Wobbygong

First Grade
Yeah sure Tezza, and pigs are starting to fly again.

Possibly the worst squad I've seen apart from Manly.

Souths have as much chance of making the finals as Tezza has of playing all 26 rounds without injury.................... :lol:

innsaneink

Referee
Heard him on 2KY the other morning....he guaranteed Souths
would NOT get the wooden spoon in 2004.
He then gave a tip to listeners, one of his dogs was
running that nite at Bulli...."It will win", said Tezza.

It ran third............in a field of seven...............no third div. :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is why Tezza shouldn't be interviewed while still under the influence.

That is all. I'm going now :lol: