What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward has skills like Alfie: Bennett

watatank

Coach
Soward has skills like Alfie
By David Riccio
798179-stsport-jamie-soward-langer.jpg

ST GEORGE Illawarra five-eighth Jamie Soward has earned the greatest compliment of his career, with supercoach Wayne Bennett comparing him to Brisbane Broncos legend Allan Langer.

In the countdown to the Dragons' minor premiership-winning performance against Parramatta on Friday night, Bennett spoke to The Sunday Telegraph about all things football, declaring:

> He doesn't support a total alcohol ban across clubs;

> NRL boss David Gallop should appoint an independent panel to police off-field behaviour;

> He returns home to Brisbane just once a month to be with his family; and

> His only fear is that the Dragons could waste a golden chance to win the premiership.
Bennett said he sat back in Brisbane last year watching on as Soward became a human punching bag.

In his 21 years at the Broncos, he said he'd analysed hundreds of players but had never seen anything like this. "I used to watch him from afar, but every time he sneezed there seemed to be a headline. If he dropped the ball it was a disaster,'' Bennett said.

"Darren Lockyer copped a fair bit of it when he made the move to five-eighth. But for Jamie, a guy who didn't have a big reputation in the game, he certainly took a lot of hits."

"As a player, I don't know of anyone who's got much more criticism. But I have to say what a wonderful talent he is. I couldn't believe how much skill he had when I got here."

"I liken him a lot to Allan Langer. In terms of his natural skill and ball in his hands and ability to read the game ... he's quite remarkable."

"I'm not saying he's the same player as Allan Langer, but there are lots of similarities. I also don't think it's fair to say that Jamie has to go up another level [for the finals], there's a whole football team here that has to answer that question.''

BAD-BOY TRIBUNAL

Bennett says he has "loved'' watching the fans react in numbers to a season tarnished by poor off-field player behaviour.

But until players understand their privileged role in the community, Bennett says the NRL should invest in further educational tools while also rejecting alcohol bans as a solution.

"They (alcohol ban) wouldn't work in your business and they're not going to work in mine,'' Bennett said. "I don't know if it's a losing battle, but it's certainly one we've got to change in terms of our education process ... the issue for the player is there's a lot of unfairness out there because they're a league player."

"But they've just got to live with that. They've got to accept if they've chosen to play rugby league then they've chosen a different set of rules. If they think that's unfair, then they can give up playing and go do what Mr John Public does.''

Bennett said it was an indictment on the game's professionalism that Gallop was responsible for imposing penalties. "It doesn't matter what you have, you'll always get perceived inconsistencies,'' Bennett said. "You get them in every courtroom, every day."

"But my argument is that the chief executive of our game should not be someone who has to get dragged over the coals by the media and everybody else."

"He's there to represent the game, take it forward, give strategic plans - all the things chief executives do - not be a judge and jury on player behaviour. Take it out of his hands."

"And while we'll always have inconsistencies, at least he's removed. When there's a blow-up at the NRL judiciary, David Gallop does not get dragged over the coals because of a decision ... and there's never a debate on whether he was too tough or whatever.''

FAMILY LIFE

Bennett has enjoyed his move to Wollongong, but it hasn't been easy. He returned home yesterday after a month without seeing wife Trish or his three children, Justin, Katherine or Elizabeth.

"It's not ideal,'' admits the former Queensland father of the year. The issue for us was, 'what do I do?' Sit home, still want to coach and be challenged by that, or sit at home, be cranky and unfulfilled because I'm not doing what I want to do and what I've trained for 30 years to do? It wasn't practical for them to come down, but I can tell you I certainly look forward to seeing them.''

FINAL HURDLE

Despite his impact on the Dragons after just 11 months, Bennett said the minor premiership does not make him satisfied.

"We've been a good footy team and I don't want the last couple of weeks to diminish what these guys have done,'' he said. "I don't fear the next month. But I do fear that if we don't get our act back together it will be an opportunity lost.''
Source

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
This is the second good article on the dragons ive seen today from the telecrap. What have they been smoking?

watatank

Coach
Yeah, it's great isn't it?

Here's another interesting quote on Soward

On finishing top-four in his first season and Jamie Soward: I didn't expect us to be as well placed on the ladder as we are, no. I thought if we'd made the top eight I'd have been happy. And if you look back, the majority of the experts - and I'm not being half-smart - didn't have us in the eight. And if they did, we were certainly placed seventh or eighth. I didn't make the decision to put Jamie on the billboard for the membership drive (laughs), but that's an example of the kind of confidence that's been put in him from the whole club. He's gone on and played some great football for us as a result.

Source

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Alfie was a better defensive player. had a great gruber kick and chase game.
sowards is much faster, can kick goals, find much more distance with his kicking game, great kick and chase,
Both are fantastic players

grandorient

Bench
Pretty right LD.

Sowie will only improve with age and experience. Its interesting though, that Wayne compares him to Alfie, one of the alltime greats. Different styles, but yes Sowie has a remarable ability to read the game. Main issue here, in my humble opinion, he needs a little room to move to build on that ability. Meaning, he needs his forwards to dominate to give him some room to move.

Having said that, his abilities here will only improve with experience.

In relation to defence, I don't want to see my star playmaker bashed around in making poor tackles. I still believe this is an area that Wayne needs to concentrate on and until such time as his technique improves, I am happy for the others to help him out.

GO

TheRev

First Grade
These sort of comparisons make me nervous... he has potential, but we should be having this discussion in 5 years if Sowie is still killing it.

I think Sowards long-range kicking game is superior to Alfie, but Alfie was literally a god, 10 metres out from the line, he was the scariest man with ball in hand, he was almost unstoppable at scoring a try, putting on a try, or grubbering into the in-goal to maintain the pressure.

watatank

Coach
These sort of comparisons make me nervous... he has potential, but we should be having this discussion in 5 years if Sowie is still killing it.

I think Sowards long-range kicking game is superior to Alfie, but Alfie was literally a god, 10 metres out from the line, he was the scariest man with ball in hand, he was almost unstoppable at scoring a try, putting on a try, or grubbering into the in-goal to maintain the pressure.

The comparisons are on ability alone, not results.

TheRev

First Grade
The comparisons are on ability alone, not results.

Yep agreed, I mean you can hypothesize on his 'potential', but its not fair to compare 1 good season, against a player who maintained that level of football for 15 years at the highest level, including single-handedly orchestrating origin wins against some of the best NSW sides we have ever put together.

Its not meant as a slur on Sowie, he will get his chance in coming years, but a lot of players before him have gone great for 1 season, then fall away when it comes to sustaining it once they achieve their goal of 1st grade success, not to mention playing well in bad teams and carrying injury.

Hayne is in the same boat for Paramatta, some people talk of him as the best player in the game, but he has a long way to go before he can prove he has the mental capacity to sustain that level of football, and not just when he is in a purple patch and his team had won 7 in a row.

TheRev

First Grade
One thing I forgot to mention was Bennett talking about his family in this article, I know its premature to ask this, but how long do you think he will stay in Sydney for?

I just cant imagine only seeing my wife and 3 kids once a month... maybe a bit more often in the off-season, but that just doesn't seem very sustainable...

Latest posts