What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward & Hornby

RedVDave

First Grade
Soward and Hornby 'among NRL's best'

St George Illawarra's dynamic halves duo Jamie Soward and Ben Hornby have earned their place among the NRL's best playmaking combinations, Melbourne star Cooper Cronk claims.

Having anchored their premiership assault on battering defence, the Dragons broke their attacking shackles with a dazzling display in the 33-8 victory over North Queensland last Friday night.

Cronk believes Soward and Hornby have improved so much as a pairing that they should now be regarded as equal to any other halves in the competition.

"Their combination is only getting better," he said. "They've got great players around them, but they are a real threat in their own right.

"Confidence has a lot to do with it and they're obviously very confident and comfortable under Wayne.

"And they're hungry for success - you know they're going to have a real hot crack at you every time."

The mantle of the game's best halves combination could well belong to Cronk and five-eighth Brett Finch after the halfback made his return from a groin injury in Saturday night's 16-10 victory over Penrith. Cronk came off the bench in the first half - his first game since undergoing surgery in the offseason.

In his absence Australian Test hooker Cameron Smith has been playing in the No 7 jersey, alongside Finch who has been in brilliant touch, setting up the winning try against Newcastle in round two.

The Storm will clash with St George Illawarra tomorrow at Etihad Stadium.

"(Melbourne are) getting back to their natural team now. That's just going to cause a bit of an extra headache for us," Dragons second-rower Ben Creagh said.

"Cooper Cronk is a great player and Smith is the Australian hooker - there's a great combination there and it's going to be a tough test."

The Good Friday appeal, raising money for Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital, will be held as part of the game. Cronk said he hoped the Storm-Dragons rivalry would continue as a Good Friday tradition and eventually rival the Anzac Day games.

"Coming off last year (as premiers) and the Dragons doing what they did last year (minor premiers), the respectful rivalry we have between the two clubs means this is a showcase event," he said.

"Hopefully it is going to be locked in for a number of years.
"Anzac Day and these types of games, they're not just games for football - they're based around a big crowd and a great rivalry."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...oward-and-hornby-among-nrls-best/1791675.aspx

Mr Red

First Grade
1. Slater 6. Finch 7. Cronk 9. Smith
1. Boyd 6. Soward 7. Hornby 9.Priddis

this is where it will be won or lost.... i still have some doubts over 6,7 and 9 for us in the big matches.....

tevoro

First Grade
Why do our own fans doubt the abilities of our star playmaker in Soward?

Dea

Juniors
I hope our boys don't get done by the mind games that are being played at the moment. The articles so far this week suggest it's two groups of mates playing in the park who love each other. They humiliated us down there a few years ago and until we've smashed them on their home turf I will not be happy.

We have a good team with a great start to the season. Bennet believes in our halves and they are delivering for him. That means more to me then what Cronk says.

Let's smash them with our deffence, I hope Soward & Hornby play out of their skin, Mozz post a hat trick and Soward kicks his goals

TheMightyRedV

Juniors
^ well said...i can't stomach the storm let alone that result. Im praying our boys play out of their skin.

Nervous and PUMPED!!! Go the Saints!

grandorient

Bench
i don't, i love the little guy, st george Illawarra proudly powered by soward.

Agree 100% Big Pat.

Expecting a big match from Priddis against the Storm and Smith, I think he may well hold his own here.

Sowie will go alright, no need to be concerned about him.

Boyd, well he is excellent every week, won't change here, except for the better perhaps.(in attack)

Horny, well his performances have been outstanding this year, (in my view) and expect a big one from him on Friday. He may not be the best half in the competition, but he more than makes up for it with his defence and spirit.

Only good things to say about our forwards, and I believe they will eventually get over the top of the Storm pack.

Our centres are good and strong and should get over the top of Inglis, although Inglis is an excitement machine, when he wants to be.

Nothing to say about Mr Morris. His actions speak louder than any words I can express.

I just hope someone smashes Slater and Finch. Smart arse little pr!cks, arrogant and Slater in particular, doesn't play in the spirit of the game.

Just my thoughts.

GO

petetheileet

First Grade
They will be sliding and clamping down on Morris

I expect him to be pushed into touch a few times tomorrow

Goddo

Bench
Well, if they have a sliding defence and target Morris...

Boyd and Hornby should drop some of those cut out balls short to Cooper and Creagh. Both those blokes will destroy a sliding defence close to the line. Especially Creagh.

Also, could turn the play to the right, and run an extra man.

We have some big lads in front of the sticks with pretty safe passing hands in Prior, Young and Pridis, not to mention grubbers, bombs and chip kicks to the right.

TBH, I hope they do target Moris with a sliding defence.

If they try to target a specific part of our game, we can adapt to it and destroy them.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
Why do our own fans doubt the abilities of our star playmaker in Soward?
i dont think we doubt his ability, i think there is still doubt over his ability to produce when it matters most - in the big matches.

Latest posts