What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spagnolo standing for re-election

The Colonel

Immortal

Former Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo is standing for re-election to Parra Leagues Club board​

Look out Parramatta – property developer and former footy and Leagues club chairman Roy Spagnolo is back and standing for re-election to the Leagues Club board.

December 27, 2023 - 2:51PM
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...b9410b4a34cdc484ee4d24afe2db8?amp#share-tools
Roy Spagnolo has revealed he is going to run in the upcoming election of Parramatta Leagues Club.

Roy Spagnolo has revealed he is going to run in the upcoming election of Parramatta Leagues Club.
Look out Parramatta – property developer and former footy and Leagues club chairman Roy Spagnolo is back and standing again for re-election to the Leagues Club board.
Mr Spagnolo said almost $1 million was spent in legal fees to try and stop his return but the courts had cleared the way for him to stand again.
And if he gets in he wants greater representation of the Leagues Club on the football club board so the members have a greater say in running the Parramatta Eels football team.

“I have some unfinished business,” Mr Spagnolo told The Daily Telegraph. “Business where I think I can assist the club.”
Roy Spagnolo OAM. Picture: Supplied

Roy Spagnolo OAM. Picture: Supplied
Eight years ago an investigation by the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority found that the former Leagues Club chairman had not demonstrated the skills and knowledge expected of a club director.
Mr Spagnolo said the allegations that he had not followed the correct procedure for claiming expenses for Christmas parties at his home and giving the former chief executive a bonus were “technical breaches”.
More importantly ILGA did not support NSW Liquor and Gaming investigators’ assertion that Mr Spagnolo and three other directors had tampered with records in backdating 145 membership records ahead of board elections.
Mr Spagnolo said steps were taken to change the constitution that could have stopped him standing for re-election before $800,000 was wasted on legal fees ahead of a Supreme Court ruling that he was eligible to stand.
“The club tried to stop me from standing and ILGA ruled they were wrong. My name has been stained,” Mr Spagnolo said.

He will now nominate for election at the 66th Annual General Meeting of the Parramatta Leagues Club on Tuesday February 27. If he gets in he has some big changes in mind.
“The members are losing their ability to have a say in what goes on in the football club,” he said. “The broader membership needs to have a greater say in the running of the football operations.
Parramatta Leagues Club during Grand Final week 2022. Parramatta Eels.

Parramatta Leagues Club during Grand Final week 2022. Parramatta Eels.
“To do that there needs to be a great representation from the Leagues Club on the board of the football club. The current two board members from the Leagues Club needs to be at least doubled to four.
“I also want to create a new dynasty of grand final winners called the Golden Era. The blokes my age are all popping off and we need a new era of heroes.”
Mr Spagnolo, a footy tragic with the number plate PARRA on his Maserati, said the current board had not honoured the contribution made by previous members.
“Last year they had the 75th anniversary and we were not invited to any of the events,” he said.
“Look at my contribution. We went from a club that was insolvent when we took over in 2001 to making a top line profit of more than $10 million a year.”
But he concedes that at 68 years old it is a big ask to step up again. “My wife Mandy asks me why on earth I want to get involved again. I lost a kidney to cancer the last time but I still have a contribution to make,” he said.
A spokesman for Parramatta Leagues Club declined to comment.

strider

Post Whore
Didnt they bring in rules to stop former merkins coming back? ... i guess thats the legal shit he is talking about. Didnt hold up

hindy111

Post Whore
As soon as we miss the finals (winning half our games), turds like this bloke and every whinger in here think all their birthdays have come at once. We NeEd ChAnGe FfS!!!

We missed the finals when the PLC members had more of a say. In fact we missed the finals more often than not.

f**k of merkin

the phantom menace

First Grade
If I recall correctly, they / Spags team / Leabeater promised 3P would deliver postal proxy voting as part of 3P's promises? So glad we can vote that way now, without having to get bussed in for elections from the local retirement village, or whatever went on back in the day.

the phantom menace

First Grade
And f**k off Roy, your unfinished business is not business the Parra team or club need anymore.

Listen to your wife and retire gracefully.

emjaycee

Coach
Didnt they bring in rules to stop former merkins coming back? ... i guess thats the legal shit he is talking about. Didnt hold up
Yep, that's exactly what happened but he only managed to get a "stay" for the current election and then it goes back to court for final determination.

the phantom menace

First Grade
In which case it would be great for Roy to lose this election cold, and then for the life ban to be determined by court to take effect after that anyway - and he'd have no avenues left, and nothing more to possibly whinge about.

(Come at me, former 3P-lovers, I know you're still out there...)