What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spain 0 - 1 Portugal

weasel

First Grade
It was a great game, Portugal dominated the first half and were unlucky not to go in with a lead. After the goal Spain came back quite well, I couldn't stop counting down the seconds for the last half hour, it was nervous stuff and they came so close a few times. But Portugal were the better side. Ronaldo carved up in the first half, had a quiet second half. Jorge Andrade and Ricardo Carvalho were brilliant at the back. Figo played very well also. Pauleta has yet to make an impact, hopefully things will come right for him soon. We have started to look a very polished side in the last two matches without things coming fully together for us which is a positive as it's not good to peak too early. To be honest I think we've only really been poor for 20 minutes in the tournament so far, the start of the Greece match. Unfortunately that cost us the game. Great to finish top of the group as it's helped us avoid France. I'd rather play England than Croatia in the quarter final, although my money's on the Croats to get through.

fred the red

Juniors
gr8 game by the portugese.............should do well in the quaters whoever they r up against........just need to sort out the defense........Ricardo had an awful game but would rather have him in goal than Vitor Baia..........man of the match performance by Deco.....truly one of the stars of the toyrnament

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Deco getting MOM - :lol:

He lost the ball constantly. He just dwells on the ball for way too long, giving the opposition time to close him down. The more I see of him the more I'm hoping that he does go to Chelsea, he's going to have exactly the same problem in the english game as Veron did (if not more so).

Perhaps I'm letting my club bias blind me, but I thought Ronaldo was the best player on the field. For the first 35 minutes or so he absolutely tore Spain to shreds, and although he started looking tired after that (and you can hardly blame him since Portugal were giving him the ball every time they got it) he still looked the biggest threat.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Mad Dogg said:
Deco getting MOM - :lol:

He lost the ball constantly. He just dwells on the ball for way too long, giving the opposition time to close him down. The more I see of him the more I'm hoping that he does go to Chelsea, he's going to have exactly the same problem in the english game as Veron did (if not more so).

Perhaps I'm letting my club bias blind me, but I thought Ronaldo was the best player on the field. For the first 35 minutes or so he absolutely tore Spain to shreds, and although he started looking tired after that (and you can hardly blame him since Portugal were giving him the ball every time they got it) he still looked the biggest threat.

I'd agree with you on both points. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Deco is overated. As soon as he does a nice pass or trick the commentators start raving about him. He is a good little player on his day but world class? Not a chance. And yes, I think he'll struggle in the Premier League.

To tell you the truth I thought C.Ronaldo was overated before this tournament, even though his season was highly impressive.
Oh, How he has proved me wrong. He is an absolute class act and I love watching him play, as I'm sure most football fans do. To think he is only 19 is astonishing.

I still think Portugal have alot of work to do if they are to be considered a serious threat. Nuno Gomes must start. Pauleta is hopeless.

Craig

Juniors
Pauleta was one of the leading goal scorers in the French Ligue 1, doesn't say much about the French domestic competition doesn't it?

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Cristiano Ronaldo has to be one of the most, if not the most, wonderful player to watch play football. He is just pure enthusiasm and blinding skill, seeming unworried about things such as tactics. Absolute joy to watch.

The most impressive thing about him is his mental strength. With his style of play he is always being fouled and pushed around, but the next time he gets the ball he will just be off on another run with all the tricks. And something else which has shone out in the one season he has been on the big stage - he performs best on the big occasions and when the going gets tough. It really was incredible watching him play during the final 2-3 months of the season. Everyone else on the team was struggling, and he stepped up and took control. And now he is doing the same for Portugal.

There is only one Ronaldo! :twisted:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The most impressive thing about him is his mental strength. With his style of play he is always being fouled and pushed around, but the next time he gets the ball he will just be off on another run with all the tricks.

Agreed. That is a great asset to have. Cassano has that ability too, even though his temprament leaves alot to be desired at times. One thing I can say about Cassano is that he always gets straight up after being fouled. If he stays on the ground for more than a few seconds you know he is hurt. I remember during the Juventus game he was stretchered off 3 times, but came back and scored 2 goals. He later revealed some deep cuts on his leg from the studs of another player.

So far in this tournament his attitude has been great. I hope he keeps it up because he has the ability to be one of the worlds best, along with Ronaldo.

Craig

Juniors
IMO it won't be long before a big English or Spanish club and try and take Cassano off Roma, or even the likes of Inter or Milan make a bid for him.

Sensi knows better then to sell a Roma player to Juve ;-)

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Craig said:
IMO it won't be long before a big English or Spanish club and try and take Cassano off Roma, or even the likes of Inter or Milan make a bid for him.

Sensi knows better then to sell a Roma player to Juve ;-)

Milan and Man U have already bidded apparently. He won't be sold.