What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Special K

TheMightyBroncs

Juniors
Interesting listening to Triple M in Brisbane today and former Brisbane Lion Alastair Lynch was discussing Karmichael Hunt and whether he will remain in AFL after his contract expires in 2014.

He was pretty certain that he would go back to League. He spoke about as Gold Coast push to play finals this year and next, he would find himself in the reserves before too long, and a player of his confidence and ego would not handle that well. He has had a season of injury and very few games. A long way from playing before 30,000+ fans each week and state of origin.

It is not the first time I have heard rumours about K watching state of origin and asking himself why he is not there playing, he has accomplished his goal of playing 3 codes and maybe its time he came back to regular footy.

There are two interesting questions from this:-

1) How many of us here on this forum would take him tomorrow if we could put him straight in at 5/8?

2) Would we take him next year (pending release) or 2015? remembering he is only 26 now.

I will admit I was a massive K fan and was devestated when he left, but he had goals of being the first player to play 3 codes and I suppose at the time the broncs wasnt the best place with cullen/henjak around the place (things havent improved tho), and so he went for it. I always thought he would be a one team player in the locky mold and if he were to come back, I couldnt accept it be anyone but us. I believe he is a natural born leader and you only have to look at him playing league or afl, he is always a motivating factor for the young players around him. The sight of Barba (can't believe people still dont think he wont be at brisbane next year) and K Hunt in the same team makes me more interested immediately. Maybe those that keep putting "hunt" in there team wishlists are merely looking at the wrong hunt.

Nerd

Bench
Stick him back in at halfback he would have to be better than Wallace.

Dazzat

First Grade
If my memory serves me well ... didn't Hunt leave on less than favourable terms from the club due to the little incident in the night club?

If he was to return to league, the Broncoes could be the last place he goes.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeh that's what I'm worried about daz.

He won't have much need to be loyal. All comes down to the size of the cheque...

But man he has been missed and AFL got him at the right time..

TheMightyBroncs

Juniors
Broncos.com did a historical piece on him the other day and were chatting to him on twitter. He has also been on the twitter to parker and prince lately. I don't think he has any issues with white, gee or griffin (if they are all there come next year) anyway. The fans would certainly see it as a positive if he returned.

Dazzat

First Grade
It was always said that K was being groomed to take over from Lockyer, but as captain and No. 6.

AFL has a lot to answer for.

broncoman

Juniors
Would have him back in a second and he can play wherever he likes. From what I've heard he's quite small at the moment so perhaps his first season back he and Hoffman can switch between wing and fullback in games then we assess if he's better suited to fullback or the halves from there.

hellteam

First Grade
Karmichael never got the credit he deserved from opposing fans.... but all Broncos fans knew how good and important he really was.

Dazzat

First Grade
K was probably one of the best bench players for Queensland. Few players had more impact in State of Origin games than K. Who would have thought a fullback was such a huge defender in the middle of the ruck!

He'd have to bulk up again to have a similar impact.

ranga68

Juniors
If my memory serves me well ... didn't Hunt leave on less than favourable terms from the club due to the little incident in the night club?

If he was to return to league, the Broncoes could be the last place he goes.

And the current captain was also involved in the same incident

Eddy

Juniors
I remember Hunt originally saying that he didn't want to play against the Broncos, but I wouldn't take it as a given that he would only look to sign for us.

He might be looking to get out of AFL but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Rugby over League. Start with a season in Japan followed by Super Rugby. But given a choice I would take him back at the Broncos in a heartbeat.

babyg

Juniors
He was always solid but never spectacular. Doesnt have have lockyer there now either to make him look good. Wasnt a fast fullback and didnt break the line. Griffin would love him.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Whenever he played 5/8th, his biggest downfall was his kicking game, or complete and utter lack thereof. He would have learnt that skill quite well in union and afl, albeit with different shaped balls. If the basic principals carry over, he would be ready for a playmaker's role. Pure fantasy at this stage but what do we poor fools have left to us in this, The Age of Decline?

Last edited:

Latest posts