What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spending money in thailand

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Heading over to Thailand for a mates bucks party in a couple of days. How much spending money should I take? We'll be in patong for two nights then over to koh phanang for 4 nights (including the full moon party!). Won't be spending on DVDs, singlets or any of that crap pretty much just need to know how much to budget for food n drinks (priority being the later haha).

SGID

First Grade
Food and drink cheap as in Thailand. $AUD 200 would do 6 days, depending on how much you drink.

Yeah, was over there a few months back. Had a three course feed in one of the better restaurants in Bangkok with the Missus. Drank cocktails all night and spent around $100 including tips. If you are just eating the standard fare at local restaurants and steering clear of eating at hotels and the like, you can get away with a decent feed for less than $10. With drinks you'd probably be hard pressed to spend $60 - $80 a day.

Fire

First Grade
Beer and spirits are dirt cheap. Wine is very expensive. Your mate's future wife must be a good stick to let you lads go to Thailand for the bucks. If you chop up any birds use a condom and make sure she doesn't have a dick.

use two condoms. Just to be sure. It's not a matter of if you will catch something over there. If you're unsafe you will come home with a disease. Simple as that.

I went to Thailand about 6 months ago, stayed in patong for 2 weeks. I did all the tourist things like the phi phi islands and all that shit.

If all you are doing is drinking, the 7/11's sell chang beer for about .90c AUD per stubby, all the bars you are looking at about $1.70 for a stubby. Cocktails you are looking at anywhere from $4-7 AUD, you can get full strengh long island ice teas for about 5 bucks.

As for food, if you eat at the local restaurants you can feed 4 big blokes for about $20-$30 AUD.

I would take $500 spending money just to be safe. If you wanna root hookers take about $1000 because you will need to buy them drinks too.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Your mate's future wife must be a good stick to let you lads go to Thailand for the bucks.

Haha guess she realises he's got the rest of his life to make it up to her!!

I've been a couple of times before but was a couple of years ago and can't really remember how much we actually spent! I do remember how good the happy hour cocktail bars are down bangla road though!!

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Just got back from the exact places you went to. Koh phangan, you will need stuff all, buckets of booze range from 200thb to 400thb. Beers 50-70thb. Food is cheep as won't pay more than 300thb for a meal. I budgeted to spend $150 a day and went nowhere near it, even with the mellow mountain shakes.

Full moon party will be sick, best party I've ever been to. Little dance clubs/sections all up the beach, booze stands everywhere, fire rope jumping and basically the entire beach just lookin for some fun. Didn't see one bit of trouble while we were there for 4 days.

Patong is a little bit more expensive obviously but there's is plenty more to get up to along Bangla. $100 a day and you dont plan on shopping should see you living very comfortable. Went over with 1500 for 12 days and came home with money.

Enjoy it dude, I absolutely fell in love with the place, specially koh phangan. No pushy salesmen to shit you.

Last edited:
It is pretty summed up in the previous posts...Thailand is dirt cheap. Load up on beers at the local 7/11..it is bloody cheap.

Wish I was back there !!...good times. Drank Tiger And Singha beers non stop, bought a heap of Tees and Boardies for nothing, ate like a king....Thailand is the best.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Wish I was back there !!...good times. Drank Tiger And Singha beers non stop, bought a heap of Tees and Boardies for nothing, ate like a king....Thailand is the best.

Never had any intentions to go to Thailand but now I've fallen in love with the place. Exactly like you said, drank and ate like a king for 2 weeks!

Fire

First Grade
Haha guess she realises he's got the rest of his life to make it up to her!!

I've been a couple of times before but was a couple of years ago and can't really remember how much we actually spent! I do remember how good the happy hour cocktail bars are down bangla road though!!

Sorry mate I just saw this post. Cool, if you've been a couple of times you know the drill, was just gonna say look after yourself with the STDs, don't get drunk and do anything stupid. Like the other guys were saying on here, you'll live like a king while over there. Enjoy mate!

Mader45

Juniors
Im in Patong right now. Luckily for you the monsoon season just ended a few days back so youll get a lot of sun. We had a week of hard rain and no sunshine.

f**k, if im gonna recommend anything itd be immodium. All 4 of us here have got the runs and lost a day because of it. Ive got 12 hours of travel a few hours ahead of me and i cant imagine being away from a toilet for longer then 15 mins right now....

Ah yes, the one big problem with Thailand... Losing the ability to shit on your own terms.

Usually you think to yourself, "I need to go to the toilet. Should I go now or hold it? Yeah, maybe I'll hold it. I'll be home in an hour, I'll go there."

In Thailand, one minute your all like- "This place is great, I might go to the beach or do some shopping? *30 seconds later* "I need to shit! Get out of my way! Aaaaahhhh!"

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Lol went with 2 mates and in the 11-12 day we were there I never had an issue. Mates pumped immodium tabs and were pissin out there ass every second day. Was piss funny watching them Try to make it past the suit salesmen on the way back to hotel cos the runs unexpectedly hit again!

I never had any gastro symptoms at all and stayed there for 2 weeks. Just pick your restaurants. I ate where i saw lots of other people eating.

And dont be afraid to tell the little kids trying to sell you shit to f**k off. They try and sucker you in because they are kids.

Mader45

Juniors
I never had any gastro symptoms at all and stayed there for 2 weeks. Just pick your restaurants. I ate where i saw lots of other people eating.

This is my third time here and first time sick. Its definitely a lottery. When you've got people from all over the world coming here, a million different forums to discuss issues and tourists not openly picketing restaurants in the street you cant assume anything. All it takes is a kitchen hand douche to wash your salad in some dirty water and thats it.

GongPanther

Referee
Eat everything that has been hot-cooked as anyone that eats a salad is really asking for it.

And remember not to touch the sink water if you happen to have a hang-over.

Latest posts