What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoiler: Kiwis vs GB

The Clan

Juniors
Different type of GB side this one!

Obviously the likes of SBW, Benji Marshal, Brent Webb, Manu Vatuvai would have made a difference but I doubt they would have made such a difference that they would have beaten GB tonight.

I've seen us have false dawns in the past and I'm not getting carried away with this set of players and performances.

There is however a different class of player creeping into the GB/England team and they'rs atarting to come through in numbers.

I'm not one of Tony Smiths biggest fans but I can't knock his record at club level and in his handfull of games with GB he has significantly altered the attitude and playing style.

He's also let it be known that NO ONE is a certainty for a GB shirt.

Skinner

Coach
playdaball said:
I was in England during that '93 series. That team with a strong Howie Tamati influence was not good but this team is CRAP.

There were some mind blowing stories that came out of that tour. If you ever run
into Sean Hoppe, ask him about it.

roughyedspud

Coach
even if SBW,BENJI MARSHALL was there none of them can marshall a attack/defence like stacey jones..........

i know i keep banging on about it but you need an guy in the middle that can organsise the attack......

you have big guys in the pack..... you have big guys in the 3/4's and wings.....but who is in the middle sorting them all out?????

come' om guys sort it out!!!!!!!!

Sam_the_man

First Grade
GB were very good.
We were very bad.

Saving grace is we'll have our best available for the WC not this A side.

I think Kemble needs to stand aside.

roughyedspud

Coach
you see sam.........stop focusing on the "poor" side you put out????

thats the best side you could put out.......be proud of it........in a way.......

Fast Eddie

First Grade
We need to give Paea and Roberts the next two tests.... because they are looking like our two best options alongside Marshall come WC....still can't believe that Rangi Chase wasn't taken over and hopefully Foran gets some gametime with the Storm next year as well. And what do you poms think of Archer? sh*thouse isn't he:lol: I probably would have rather had Ganson or Klien in charge than him. Certainly quite a few Aussie refs I would have rather had in charge. And don't those tiny ingoals piss you off:lol: Especially with our kicking game...:(

Chase
Roberts
Paea
Marshall will be our halves to pick from at the WC......hopefully.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
GB were a class above NZ tonight in all aspects. The forwards in particular had a field day. Asotasi is the world's best prop we've been told so many times over the past few months. He wouldn't get in the GB side.

I appreciate that the NZ side is very weak and the backs, the back row and the bench will probably be replaced to a man for the World Cup, but they are going into the World Cup with no preparation now. This makes it absolutely guaranteed that Australia will win the World Cup, which is a shame.

Things are looking good for GB. The backline is probably set in stone, bar Senior (Hopefully) being moved out to accomodate someone like Ryan Atkins or Kirk Yeaman. The forwards were immense tonight, far too strong for their Kiwi counterparts, how many times have we been able to say that in the past?

A few points I noted about the match tonight. Who are the Kiwis going to bring in at half back for the World Cup? They are completely lacking direction and on the few occasions the pack made some ground, there was no chance they would score anyway as there is no creativity. Another is the difference in quality of the coaches. GB's Smith used Fa'asavalu twice for 10 to 15 minutes and he had an impact, especially in defense where he was outstanding. Compare with Kemble's usage of his impact prop Fui Fui Moi Moi. He is a player, like Fa'asavalu, who is there to have an impact on the game. He can't do this if he is playing for any longer than 15 minutes as he doesn't have the stamina to do it. So you get 5 minutes of concerted effort and 25 of hands on knees, him being a liability in defense and repeatedly tying his laces whenever NZ got the ball. Another was the laziness of the defense around the play the ball. If James Roby had played off the bench tonight, the score would have been 60+.

Where was the ferocity we've been expecting all week? Chalmers talks it up a lot, and people on here were telling me NZ would cut loose and smash GB physically. That bunch couldn't overpower my son's reception class, the effort is there but there is nothing in that side to worry GB.

I can't believe people are blaming the ref tonight. Sure he got one 50:50 wrong (Not penalising Gardner for holding back following his kick through), but that didn't cause NZ to ship the points following the drop kick. NZ won the penalty count tonight, which is absolutely ridiculous given the domination GB had over every aspect of the game.

Good to see some free-flowing moves from GB tonight, I thought they were superb. The half backs in particular excite me, probably the best duo GB have had in years. Burrow is turning into a fine player and NZ couldn't handle him or Pryce tonight.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
roughyedspud said:
you see sam.........stop focusing on the "poor" side you put out????

thats the best side you could put out.......be proud of it........in a way.......

Pround of what Spud???

We've had 120 points put on us in three tests. Would you be proud of that? No you wouldn't!

Think that would have happened with your best team on the park for the last 3 tests? No!

What do you think these results are doing for the game in NZ?

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Fairleigh Good! said:
GB were a class above NZ tonight in all aspects. The forwards in particular had a field day. Asotasi is the world's best prop we've been told so many times over the past few months. He wouldn't get in the GB side.

I appreciate that the NZ side is very weak and the backs, the back row and the bench will probably be replaced to a man for the World Cup, but they are going into the World Cup with no preparation now. This makes it absolutely guaranteed that Australia will win the World Cup, which is a shame.

Things are looking good for GB. The backline is probably set in stone, bar Senior (Hopefully) being moved out to accomodate someone like Ryan Atkins or Kirk Yeaman. The forwards were immense tonight, far too strong for their Kiwi counterparts, how many times have we been able to say that in the past?

A few points I noted about the match tonight. Who are the Kiwis going to bring in at half back for the World Cup? They are completely lacking direction and on the few occasions the pack made some ground, there was no chance they would score anyway as there is no creativity. Another is the difference in quality of the coaches. GB's Smith used Fa'asavalu twice for 10 to 15 minutes and he had an impact, especially in defense where he was outstanding. Compare with Kemble's usage of his impact prop Fui Fui Moi Moi. He is a player, like Fa'asavalu, who is there to have an impact on the game. He can't do this if he is playing for any longer than 15 minutes as he doesn't have the stamina to do it. So you get 5 minutes of concerted effort and 25 of hands on knees, him being a liability in defense and repeatedly tying his laces whenever NZ got the ball. Another was the laziness of the defense around the play the ball. If James Roby had played off the bench tonight, the score would have been 60+.

Where was the ferocity we've been expecting all week? Chalmers talks it up a lot, and people on here were telling me NZ would cut loose and smash GB physically. That bunch couldn't overpower my son's reception class, the effort is there but there is nothing in that side to worry GB.

I can't believe people are blaming the ref tonight. Sure he got one 50:50 wrong (Not penalising Gardner for holding back following his kick through), but that didn't cause NZ to ship the points following the drop kick. NZ won the penalty count tonight, which is absolutely ridiculous given the domination GB had over every aspect of the game.

Good to see some free-flowing moves from GB tonight, I thought they were superb. The half backs in particular excite me, probably the best duo GB have had in years. Burrow is turning into a fine player and NZ couldn't handle him or Pryce tonight.

I would be so sure that the aussies will win the WC just yet. I honestly think if GB can lift just a little more then they have everything they need to knock the aussies over in the cup. But can they?

I wouldn't write off the Kiwis in the cup just yet either. We have some series talent unavialble to us at the moment, pretty much our best 13 players are missing from the current team, given a warm up or pool match at the cup we'll be a genuine threat. The thing that really worries me is the coaching....i think Kemble needs to go.....Bring in either Prescott from Canterbury or Burgman from Wellington or bring back Bluey.

Iafeta

Referee
What was the Kiwis missed tackle count?

90?!!! :oops:

Tackle around the body lads, the jersey grab is pathetic. It just made Pryce, Burrow and co look a cut above. There was one point in the first half where James Graham just put his arm out in front of him and ran for 15 metres with three on him until he fell over :lol: I mean even Roy Asotasi's defence was dreadful early on. I'd say one bloke who's come out of this all pretty well is Sam Perrett. We've developed some decent players over the past couple of years, Inu, Perrett, Asotasi, Williams, Tuiaki looked good at times... the problem is ther defensive effort, woeful jersey grabs, they don't work hard in one line, they're easily stepped, and the halves. The NZRL has to look very, very hard at this area, this isn't a problem the Warriors can fix, it's a problem for the NZRL because if they just aren't there, they just aren't there.

Archer :lol: Gardner pulls on Pritchard's jersey, goal line drop out. Goose. Missed about 7 forward passes from Burrow as well. Aside from being a bl00dy hard bloke to tackle, he would make a good quarterback.

PS: Sean O'Loughlin=Craig Fitzgibbon's love of the flop for the stats.

Credit to GB.

Billythekid

First Grade
After seeing NZ's lineup this is basically what i expected. Maybe not 44-0 but they were always in for a hiding.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I didn't expect NZ to win, but 44-0 is a bit much. Even before Matai was sent off against the Aussies, the Kiwis have looked flat and uninterested. No aggression, which is something we really needed considering our lack of creativity.

Not sure where we're going to get that creativity outside of Marshall, but Paea and Roberts will both have a chance to push their selection claims next year in the NRL. I'm hoping Chase also gets more of a go at hooker. I'd like to see him starting with Luke off the bench.

Possible full strength world cup kiwi team if injuries/SL & NRL clubs are kind.
1. Webb
2. Perrett
3. Inu
4. Soliola (I expect him to bounce back in 2008. Has real class)
5. Vatuvei
6. Marshall
7. Paea/Roberts
8. Asotasi
9. Chase
10. J Cayless
11. Kidwell
12. Mannering
13. Williams

14. Luke
15. N Cayless
16. Lima
17. Fa'alogo/Pritchard

nqboy

First Grade
You blokes whinging about the ref are kidding yourselves. He wasn't in the top 13 factors for that debacle.

griff

Bench
NZ have just lacked intensity the past few tests and their goal-line defence has been nothing short of woeful. What happened to the NZ spirit and aggression? It's gone. Yes it is not the greatest team, but you always expect NZ to make up for the lack of talent with a bit of muscle.

GB were fantastic. The word that really sums up their performance was cohesion. They played like a team that has been playing together for years. Their defence was great, and the attack really clicked and ran like clockwork.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Well coached Tony Smith. I haven't seen a GB play like that for...well...ever.

I wouldn't be slitting my wrists if I was a Kiwi fan though. You could name a team made up of players that didn't play today that would beat the Kiwi team that did. Kemble must be feeling like the lowest human on Earth, I feel for him. Coach of the nation's two biggest losses against its two biggest rivals.

Latest posts