What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sponsor buys Manly

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Sponsor buys Manly
By Dean Ritchie
04jun04
MANLY last night voted to be privately owned - and are now ready to poach the game's elite and reclaim the title as rugby league's most hated club.

In a historic decision, football club members last night voted 162-10 in favour of selling 62.5 per cent of the club to property developer Max Delmege, also the club's major sponsor.

The deal is worth $3.5 million, with Manly also to receive $1million in sponsorship from Delmege and a further $1million leagues club grant.

That gives the Sea Eagles a $5.5 million war chest with which to go after marquee players, just as they did famously during the 1970s, 80s and 90s, earning the wrath of rival fans but plenty of premierships.

Off contract players such as Ben Kennedy, Ruben Wiki, Matt Orford and Canberra's Joel Monaghan will be in the Sea Eagles' sights.

Delmege will buy 3.5 million shares over the balance of 2004-2005. The Manly football club will have 2million shares with Penn Sport taking 100,000.

An additional 4.4 million shares will be available to members, supporters and investors.

Sea Eagles executive director Paul Cummins said his club was now ready to enter the player market with vigour and spend up to the NRL's $3.25 million salary cap for the first time in four years.

"After June 30, we will be in the market to obtain two or three blue chip players," Cummins said.

Cummins described Delmege as a soul saver.

Delmege added: "I'm very passionate about this club and want to see it get back to where it was, a very successful rugby league team."

To pass last night's motion, the club needed to obtain more than 75 per cent of the vote from football club members, but received 93 per cent of the vote.

Manly chairman Joe Cross said his club would have faced financial difficulties as early as the end of this year had the Delmege money not arrived.

Cross said the privatisation model represented a new beginning for the Sea Eagles.

"Unlike other models we looked at, this model not only secures our future, but gives us an opportunity to rebuild the football club into a powerful financial force through an expanded membership base," Cross said.

Manly will have seven directors - two appointed by the football club, two appointed by Delmege and two directors appointed by Manly Leagues Club.

An independent chairman will be appointed by the six directors

DIEHARD

----
Football Club is the way of the future. Both in fan participation, finnace and stability. Good work Manly!

chileman

Coach
sullyfan said:
If Cronulla ever became privatised I'd be so angry.
If the Sharks won their first premiership because they decided to be part privately owned would you still be angry after 37 lean years???

wittyfan

Referee
chileman said:
sullyfan said:
If Cronulla ever became privatised I'd be so angry.
If the Sharks won their first premiership because they decided to be part privately owned would you still be angry after 37 lean years???

Yes. The club belongs to all the fans, not just a few.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
sullyfan said:
Mayor_Quimby said:
thankfully no-one cares what you have to say sully!

Good! :lol: Fancy buying back things you already own. :lol: Fools.

hmmmm, you definetly have a screw loose!

Look at the facts of the matter and then come back with something intelligent to say.

wittyfan

Referee
Mayor_Quimby said:
sullyfan said:
Mayor_Quimby said:

Look at the facts of the matter and then come back with something intelligent to say.

I've looked at the facts. $395 for membership is insane.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
sullyfan said:
Mayor_Quimby said:
sullyfan said:
Mayor_Quimby said:

I've looked at the facts. $395 for membership is insane.

well if manly fan’s want their team survive they will do what they can!

Too bad for the sharks when they run out of money and they need some, they have jerks like you that won’t save them!

chileman

Coach
Mayor_Quimby said:

Too bad for the sharks when they run out of money and they need some, they have jerks like you that won’t save them!
It's ok Matt.....sully was still in nappies when his club accepted money from Manly to bail them out of trouble :lol: this isn't a Sharks bashing thread but as CouldaBeenAnything who can post rational posts...all clubs will eventually go this way.....and for me, if my club survives and is successful for me and my kids and grandkids to enjoy then so be it...show us the money!

wittyfan

Referee
Mayor_Quimby said:

Cronulla are doing well financially. I doubt we will see them begging to LG anytime soon.

wittyfan

Referee
CouldaBeenAnything said:
Sadly in some ways, this is the way all the clubs will go in a while, will need to for survival

And everyone hated Super League. :lol:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
They might be having problems this year but for the last htree seasons under private ownership the Warriors have provided more joy, success and pride for their fans than in the previous years of their existence and I am very glad Eric Watson saved the club when he did. Good move by Manly I reckon.