What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports Stars of Tomorrow

Sports Stars of Tomorrow: Rulon Nutira

By JERRIE ANDREWS

Move over Sonny-Bill Williams, another Kiwi league star is on the rise.
Rulon Nutira has just turned 16 and is already well on track to his dream of becoming a professional league player.

Nutira was the youngest member of the Hornby Panthers premier team that won the grand final last weekend against Linwood 32-28 and is the only South Island player named in the Kiwis Under 16 team for the second consecutive year.

After two matches against Queensland Academy in Auckland at the end of this month, Nutira will head to Parramatta where he has been signed for three years with the junior and reserve grades of the NRL.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-2] [/SIZE][/FONT]According to Panthers coach Brent Ringdahl this boy is one to watch.
“He’s easily measured up to the rest of the boys this year (in the Panthers) and outshone some of them,” he said.
“We’ll be sad to lose him, but he’s got to go. He’s going to go places”.
Nutira said being the youngest in the premier team had helped his game.
“I was always learning,” he said.
“Every word any of the boys said I would just learn from them and that’s a good thing.”
“I was always nervous, just not wanting to stuff up, but I knew the coach and the boys must have trusted in me and that’s such a privilege.”
And trust him they must have as he’s now in charge of looking after the Pat Smith Challenge Trophy the team won in the final.

That’s a role he might have to give up when he heads to Parramatta, but Nutira was excited about the opportunities the move presented.
“It’s awesome,” he said.
“Just the experience, the coaching… they’ve got everything you’d need, everything is just right there.”

Ringdahl believed Nutira had the potential to make it in the NRL, and compared his skills to Kiwis and Melbourne Storm player David Kidwell, who started his career with Hornby.
“At the same age (when Kidwell was 16), this boy’s better,” he said.

http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/localsport/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3699369&thesection=localsport&thesubsection=
------------------------------------------------------------

Stagger eel

Staff member
he looks to have the package..let's hope he's not affected by the presence of a certain coach in SG Ball.

Kornstar

Coach
So if he is a second rower, i guess he will be playing centre then, and if he is better than Tony Williams, i guess he will definitely be playing off the bench