What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports Tonight/Woolford: Management should be accountable

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,10108980-23214,00.html

Canberra captain Simon Woolford has called on club officials to be held accountable for the loss of local junior Joel Monaghan, who signed a three-year contract yesterday with Sydney Roosters.

Woolford asked why the Raiders had been inactive in recruiting, particularly when veteran Ruben Wiki was returning to New Zealand to end his career at the Warriors.

The Raiders, who almost squandered an 18-point lead before defeating North Queensland Coyboys at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night to maintain a top eight spot, were also rocked by Luke Davico's move to English Super League club Wigan next season.

Davico was released from the final year of his contract as the Raiders made a desperate and more attractive offer to Monaghan, but in vain.

"The club needs to act and act fast," Woolford said. "Someone needs to sit down and look at what's happening and ask why it's happening and put some things in place to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"We have some good young players coming through premier league, but we still need to sign a couple of players from outside the organisation to really be a force next year."

--------

Maybe some players really are upset with management about how they've handled the whole situation. Maybe rumours of unrest aren't that far off the mark... :|

Not only that but it seems that the Raiders did increase Joel's offer, but he still turned it down. Geez...

jed

First Grade
3 players in the space of 48 hours is a terrible record. What I want to hear from them right now is that we have signed a few new (decent) players.

This year, we did not sign a single player, and lost Lolesi, Mick Monaghan, Jensen & Rutgerson. Next year we'll have lost Evans, Drew, Wiki, Davico & Joel Monaghan, and only picked up Jason Smith.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I hate to run around in a flap waving my arms in the air, but, frankly, I'm running around in a flap waving my arms in the air.

Bay56

First Grade
Thankyou captain for prettty well summing up what I have been saying for the past three years ... and if you guys think I am being smut about all this and having some sort of morbid satisfaction, well you are wrong.

My intentions are always for the Raiders team .. not management, not the coach.

Quite frankly I think a few of you have missed the whole point of my "whinging".

THis club needs a major overhaul ... it should start this week with the axing of Monas from 1st grade ... we are not a breeding ground for other teams such as the Roosters. It should continue with encouraging the likes of Ricky Stuart and Laurie Daley back to the club.

The NRL needs to be told that contacts within clubs such as the roosters are the same people who choose rep players and that that is a conflict of interest. Representative honours should be based upon ability not place of residence.

But if they want to play dirty so should we and thats where the likes of Ricky and Loz can help out with the contacts they have established in the big smoke.

greeneyed

First Grade
I have to say I agree with the captain. I sent the club management and coaching staff an email last night saying exactly the same thing.

Anonymous

Juniors
Spot on Simon.

I'm glad that this came from him. I have heard reprts that he is best mates with some of the management and their attitude towards him is another cause of player upsets.

Good to see another rumor wrong and hopefully this will lead to reforms.

hrundi99

First Grade
I think that Woolford should keep his trap shut.

This is the kind of thing we don't need the Sydney media pouncing on.

His comments are understandable, but they should have been made to management, not the media.

Anonymous

Juniors
Thst makes 2 rumours. One of which other people knew of (Schifcofske wanting out).

That makes one rumour which had been as of yet unposted. 'All these' rumours?

Yeah guys us Knights fans know wat ur going thru, We have lost Kennedy, Tahu, Ennis, Parsons and ODavis and we have gained nobody! As a fan it is very frustrating and disappointing 2 lose sooo many quality players and yet get no purchases cos there is hardly neone left on the market, we can thank Parramatta 4 that!

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
I think that Woolford should keep his trap shut.

This is the kind of thing we don't need the Sydney media pouncing on.

His comments are understandable, but they should have been made to management, not the media.

Who really cares if the Sydney media have something like that to pounce on?? Last year when they were giving us no credit, we stood atop the ladder for most of the year. Then this year when they give us a little bit of credit, we sit in 7th spot after 18 rounds.

As for making the comments to the media rather than to the management, I also disagree. Management have to be acountable publicly rather than privately.

hrundi99

First Grade
All of the brouhaha that Elliott was talking about negatively effecting the team's preparation has been exacerbated by the Sydney media.

Being treated as also-rans and being able to put the article up on the noticeboard for incentive is different to hearing that your mate who has the stall next to you in the dressing room might be leaving.

this off-field mid-season chaos has to start reflecting the performances soon. the players have to be wooried. THIS IS TERRIBLE. last year all players were saying "We are a club on the rise"... what a load of shit. Look:

Losses

Jamaal Lolesi
Sean Rutgerson
Rod Jensen
Michael Monoghan
Joel Monoghan
James Evans
Brad Drew
Luke Davico
Ruben Wiki

Gains

Jason Smith
Jamie Russo

That has to be the worst in our history. sack everyone. AT LEAST WE DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BEING OVER THE CAP

I wish we had

Stuart - Coach
Daley - Assistant Coach
Clyde - Publicity Manager
Shane Richardson - CEO

woodgers

Bench
I agree with Germ and hopefully that is enough pressure to make them jump.

As for Joel Monaghan backing up the point on the local news and saying that if management had done its job properly he would have signed months ago, is utter bollocks. Sounds like a young kid trying to take the heat off himself any which way he can and playing the blame game. I bet a few people around town have given him a piece too!!

Anonymous

Juniors
Monnas said if more hads been done a couple of months ago he'd have stayed. Simon said that he hoped that recruitment would be a priority, however, 'sources in the club' said we WILL NOT be chasing any prominent players from other clubs.

Anyone still thinking management is doing a good job?

GreenGuy

Just saw Woolford on Sports Tonight. He looked absolutely shattered. :cry: I'm lost for words. When it comes to the club captain losing faith we really are in huge trouble. They also said there are rumours senior players want out of the club, and that we are not chasing any top players, but instead relying on our junior development... :?