What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spots Available

Carlton

Juniors
I was looking at the player list and it looked like we have 28 positions filled (including Thompson and MacDonald). That means we still have two positions to fill or four if Thommo and Nene are released.

Releasing Thommo and Nene would have to free up at least $650K and the cap has increased.

We have signed four new players Graham, Hunt, Latimore and Nicholls (two of these would be minimum amounts). We look like losing another 17 from the 2017 squad (including Dugan which frees up about $800K on his own).

I know ten players have been extended and there were a number of contract increases however, this could not be a huge amount in the scheme of things.

If we don't have a serious war chest available something is seriously wrong and given we have spots available it would seem to indicate there are some not so small targets in our sights. The fact we are in what must be a good position cap wise with spots available and we are looking to offload a couple of genuine first graders doesn't make sense unless there is something big about to happen.

My thinking is we must spend the cap, we must have 30 players in the squad. Letting Thommo and Nene go at this stage is not logical unless there is an imminent compelling reason to do so.

Then again this could just be wishful thinking.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I have, with Nicholls signing = 29, so 1 spot left if we include Thommo and 2 spots if he goes.

I cannot find anywhere where we are going to release Nene other than forumites comments, so please post a link or something that alludes to this, otherwise it's really wishful thinking. Not saying its not true, but where is it stated??

McDonald is going no where no sure how that rumour started but it lost legs a while back.

Thompson is going that seems to be the case and honestly i am not that fussed he wants to go so be it.

Reactions: Qdf

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I was looking at the player list and it looked like we have 28 positions filled (including Thompson and MacDonald). That means we still have two positions to fill or four if Thommo and Nene are released.

Releasing Thommo and Nene would have to free up at least $650K and the cap has increased.

We have signed four new players Graham, Hunt, Latimore and Nicholls (two of these would be minimum amounts). We look like losing another 17 from the 2017 squad (including Dugan which frees up about $800K on his own).

I know ten players have been extended and there were a number of contract increases however, this could not be a huge amount in the scheme of things.

If we don't have a serious war chest available something is seriously wrong and given we have spots available it would seem to indicate there are some not so small targets in our sights. The fact we are in what must be a good position cap wise with spots available and we are looking to offload a couple of genuine first graders doesn't make sense unless there is something big about to happen.

My thinking is we must spend the cap, we must have 30 players in the squad. Letting Thommo and Nene go at this stage is not logical unless there is an imminent compelling reason to do so.

Then again this could just be wishful thinking.

Carlton
There is a option for tommo and you would use a large chunk of the left over salary cap.
There is two problems.
One Manly was offering tommo a very good long term contract.
Then they got themselves into cap trouble.
They would need to offload someone to get tommo.
So its in limbo at this stage.
Nene situation is on hold .
While world cup is going.
I suspect that some nogations will be put on hold while the world cup is on.
I hope that there is someone lined up for a centre/ winger spot but I can't find out anything about it.
But let hope

Last edited:

Brutalitops

Juniors
We wouldn't entertain releasing Thompson or even Nene if there wasn't something pushing us to, like landing a major signature.

I would love to see us get Koribete but that rumour seems to have died down.

Carlton

Juniors
Carlton
There is a option for tommo and you would use a large chunk of the left over salary cap.
There is two problems.
One Manly was offering tommo a very good log term contract.
Then they got themselves into cap trouble.
They would need to offload someone to get tommo.
So its in limbo at this stage.
Nene situation is on hold .
While world cup is going.
I suspect that some nogations will be put on hold while the world cup is on.
I hope that there is someone lined up for a centre/ winger spot but I can't find out anything about it.
But let hope

That makes sense, I am waiting to see what 1st November brings.

I was looking on zero tackle and it looked like we only had 28 in the squad at this stage which included Nicholls, Thommo and Nene. I suspect there are three players being considered based on the rumour mill, a quality prop, a secondrower (I think this one is a we'll try and if we are a success happy days) and an x factor centre or winger.

Don't ask me for links, there are none. This is all pure speculation on my behalf and is just sharing my suspicions.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
That makes sense, I am waiting to see what 1st November brings.

I was looking on zero tackle and it looked like we only had 28 in the squad at this stage which included Nicholls, Thommo and Nene. I suspect there are three players being considered based on the rumour mill, a quality prop, a secondrower (I think this one is a we'll try and if we are a success happy days) and an x factor centre or winger.

Don't ask me for links, there are none. This is all pure speculation on my behalf and is just sharing my suspicions.

Carlton
Just heard that Manly is trying to get pearce.
If that happens I can't imagine they would have any cap for tommo.
But what you have heard is spot on .

mickeylane

Bench
McDonald is going no where no sure how that rumour started but it lost legs a while back.

Thompson is going that seems to be the case and honestly i am not that fussed he wants to go so be it.
Barrett about to walk out of Manly - THOMPSON not going nowherea at this stage IMO.. Actually I think Dragons will extend him by a further 12 mnths just to keep him

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'll take a spot.

Send me a training kit in L/XL and tell Mary I'll play wherever he needs me.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I'll take a spot.

Send me a training kit in L/XL and tell Mary I'll play wherever he needs me.

Careful, you might get a spot on the bench, and you know what that means - you'll get 5 minutes on the field only after the games has been won or lost!

Reactions: jak

getsmarty

Immortal
ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Yaw Kiti Glymin, Siliva Havili

New deal: Luciano Leilua (until end of 2018), Jai Field (until end of 2019), Jacob Host (until end of 2020), Euan Aitken (until end of 2020), Jack de Belin (until the end of 2020), Blake Lawrie (until end of 2019), Gareth Widdop (until 2021), Paul Vaughan (extension until 2021), Tim Lafai (until 2020), Paul McGregor (until 2019), Kurt Mann (until 2019), Jason Nightingale (until 2018), Jordan Pereira (midyear from Mackay), Tristan Sailor (until 2019), Mitchell Allgood (from Wakefield until 2018)

Leaving: Russell Packer (Tigers until 2021), Josh Dugan (Sharks until 2021), Taane Milne (Tigers until 2019 with option), Tyrone McCarthy (immediate release to Salford), Mose Masoe (immediate release to Hull KR), Chris Lewis (released), Shaun Nona (released), Josh McCrone (Toronto), Levi Dodd (Townsville until 2018), Will Matthews (Widnes until 2019), Jacob Hind (Sunshine Coast until 2018), Drew Hutchison (Leigh until 2019), Jake Marketo (rugby), Kalifa Faifai Loa (Townsville Blackhawks until 2018)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/17b8a8d660982d9962747648172c9f89

DRAGONS

Off contract: None

2018 Gains: James Graham (Bulldogs), Ben Hunt (Broncos), Jeremy Latimore (Sharks), Darren Nicholls (Panthers), Mitchell Allgood (Wakefield), Ash Nisbet (Tigers)

2018 Losses: Josh Dugan (Sharks), Will Matthews (Widnes), Josh McCrone (Toronto), Taane Milne (Tigers), Russell Packer (Tigers), Levi Dodd (Townsville), Kalifa Faifai Loa (Townsville), Jacob Hind (Sunshine Coast until 2018), Drew Hutchison (Leigh until 2019), Yaw Kiti Glymin (not re-signed), Jake Marketo (rugby), Siliva Havili (not re-signed)

Re-Signed: Euan Aitken (2020), Jack de Belin (2020), Jacob Host (2020), Tim Lafai (2020), Blake Lawrie (2019), Kurt Mann (2019), Jason Nightingale (2018), Tristan Sailor (2019), Paul Vaughan (2021), Gareth Widdop (2021)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/3b47f9ff470ae4ba3cb5b6e19df603a