What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad 2022

Tigerm

First Grade
My take is that is exactly where he wants to play.
I believe he has said that is where he wants to play, but where he does end up we will have to wait and see?

It all makes for an interesting off season and hopefully pushes Brooks to greater consistency?

Tiger05

First Grade
I believe he has said that is where he wants to play, but where he does end up we will have to wait and see?

It all makes for an interesting off season and hopefully pushes Brooks to greater consistency?

The thing is Brooks has been under a lot of pressure over the past couple of seasons. He hasn't killed it in that time. He hasn't been terrible. I just think he is an average player. The problem is that he is our halfback and one of the leaders at our club. I've always thought he could be a role player in a team. He can do his job but he needs quality around him. We don't have that.

I think it's going to come down to the best options for the team in the halves. I think at the start of the season we have to see a Hastings/Brooks combination. Hopefully Hastings is a dominant half and Brooks can just play second fiddle. Doueihi will come back into the side and he could easily slot into 6 and push Brooks out.

It's going to be interesting. I hope we show a lot more next season compared to this season. A couple of extra signings would be good but I don't see much improvement by signing established players now. I'd like us to grab some quality juniors.

My take is that is exactly where he wants to play.
Yes he’s said that a couple of times now.

But he can also play at rake.

He has the ball skills and game awareness to threaten there.

We also saw tuki emerging late last year. He still looks the goods for a young forward.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
But he can also play at rake.

Liddle and Jake Simpkins should be filling that role.

At lock we have Joe O, Peachey & Tuki Simpkins. You could even play any of our middle forwards there. Mikaele did it last year.

Our halves didn't perform last season. Surely Hastings gets first shot in the halves.

Tigerm

First Grade
The thing is Brooks has been under a lot of pressure over the past couple of seasons. He hasn't killed it in that time. He hasn't been terrible. I just think he is an average player. The problem is that he is our halfback and one of the leaders at our club. I've always thought he could be a role player in a team. He can do his job but he needs quality around him. We don't have that.

I think it's going to come down to the best options for the team in the halves. I think at the start of the season we have to see a Hastings/Brooks combination. Hopefully Hastings is a dominant half and Brooks can just play second fiddle. Doueihi will come back into the side and he could easily slot into 6 and push Brooks out.

It's going to be interesting. I hope we show a lot more next season compared to this season. A couple of extra signings would be good but I don't see much improvement by signing established players now. I'd like us to grab some quality juniors.
I think we only need a few senior blokes to have a go and show the young blokes the way, if we can stay healthy we are a good chance to improve on this season, imo.

Remembering we were only a few wins away from the 8 this season.

Our senior players let the team down and will need to step up from the start, for that to happen though.

Last edited:
Liddle and Jake Simpkins should be filling that role.

At lock we have Joe O, Peachey & Tuki Simpkins. You could even play any of our middle forwards there. Mikaele did it last year.

Our halves didn't perform last season. Surely Hastings gets first shot in the halves.
I was just trying to enter the hell of brother @strykers selection headaches and uncover his beliefs on where he thinks Hastings will eventually end up.

My tips or not, we will have at least six new players ready to jump into the side and jam the senior players into a new era of accountability.

Brooks should be on the secret market to try to see what we can get for him at least. Apparently he was being shopped around last year, despite vehement denials.

JB04

Juniors
Brooks couldn't organise a team to save himself. I'd love to know his goal line drop out to kicks attempted ratio. It'd have to be minimal at best. He is however a good runner of the ball. Surely from next season it's Hastings at 7 and Brooks at 6 to start the season. Can see Hastings ripping into players if they aren't performing their duties properly on the field, not a chance in the world Brooks would do that

Tigerm

First Grade
Brooks couldn't organise a team to save himself. I'd love to know his goal line drop out to kicks attempted ratio. It'd have to be minimal at best. He is however a good runner of the ball. Surely from next season it's Hastings at 7 and Brooks at 6 to start the season. Can see Hastings ripping into players if they aren't performing their duties properly on the field, not a chance in the world Brooks would do that
They will have a few weeks to try all that, then Doueihi to centre, I think will be best for team?

JB04

Juniors
They will have a few weeks to try all that, then Doueihi to centre, I think will be best for team?
I think what would be best for the team is

6. Doueihi
7. Hastings

21. Brooks

But hey, I'm not coach. The same coach that had a big say that Brooks was POTY

Tigerm

First Grade
I think what would be best for the team is

6. Doueihi
7. Hastings

21. Brooks

But hey, I'm not coach. The same coach that had a big say that Brooks was POTY
I thought it came from the 3,2,1 points for each game?

Brooks probably scored well throughout the season, if that’s how they work it out?

JB04

Juniors

Brooks probably scored well throughout the season, if that’s how they work it out?
I believe so, but considering Doueihi came in the top 10 in the Dally M shows there is a clear discrepancy between who/how our games are judged. Probably didn't help Doueihi was out for a few weeks and stuffed around between centre/five eight

soc123_au

Staff member

Do they do a 3, 2, 1 or rate each player out of 10? The latter would explain Brooks getting it given his ability to stay injury free is his best asset. Or worst depending on your perspective.

Tigerm

First Grade
Do they do a 3, 2, 1 or rate each player out of 10? The latter would explain Brooks getting it given his ability to stay injury free is his best asset. Or worst depending on your perspective.
TBH, I don’t know how they come to the decision, but 3,2,1 seems the only fair way?
I assume you don’t know how Penrith do it?

soc123_au

Staff member
TBH, I don’t know how they come to the decision, but 3,2,1 seems the only fair way?
I assume you don’t know how Penrith do it?
No, I'm not to sure what the club does. We have had discussions in our forum about it, and the consensus is each player being ranked from 1 to 10 is the fairest way. We ran our own poll last year using that and I think the year end result was pretty accurate on who the best players were. 3,2,1 imo robs good consistent players of points.

stryker

First Grade
I was just trying to enter the hell of brother @strykers selection headaches and uncover his beliefs on where he thinks Hastings will eventually end up.

My tips or not, we will have at least six new players ready to jump into the side and jam the senior players into a new era of accountability.

Brooks should be on the secret market to try to see what we can get for him at least. Apparently he was being shopped around last year, despite vehement denials.
I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I am not a Brooks fan…in fact there was a time I was the lonely island on here saying he is no good and we need to get rid of him. For the record, I was saying it when Woods, Teddy and Moses were still here. I also have been interested in seeing Hastings return as he is an organiser.

Having said that, the club have made it perfectly clear they back Brooks. They have always made it clear. They have given this useless little midget our player of the year award 3 f**ken times!!!
Hastings will not be taking his jersey unless he is injured. The club hired him as a lock. My guess is he’ll play centre. Hard to know at this stage. He’ll be in the 6 jumper until Doueihi returns.

Shredder

Juniors
I think its fair to say we are a mess. On that note, we need to take some chances.

Id like to see something like this at least tried out:

1 Laurie
2 Nofo
3 Peachy
4 Doueihi
5 Maumolo
6 Hastings
7 Brooks

If nothing else it puts our playmakers on the park and should tighten up the defense in the centers.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think its fair to say we are a mess. On that note, we need to take some chances.

1 Laurie
2 Nofo
3 Peachy
4 Doueihi
5 Maumolo
6 Hastings
7 Brooks

If nothing else it puts our playmakers on the park and should tighten up the defense in the centers.
TBH, I would love the club to tell Nofo he is free to look at other opportunities, I would also like to see a Hastings at 7 and Doueihi at 6 sooner rather than later, especially if Brooks isn’t delivering.

Fordy20

Juniors

1 Laurie
2 Nofo
3 Peachy
4 Doueihi
5 Maumolo
6 Hastings
7 Brooks

Apart from Doueihi that's a backline they could put together during the trials.